Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Hill's Science Diet Feline c/d Has Changed?

Does anyone else use this? Have you noticed that the small cans contain way more water than they used to? I used to be able to dump out a can and the food was pretty solid and stayed in the shape of the can. Now I can pour the food out. I've called my Vet, exchanged the first case for a second, different lot numbers, and still it pours. A couple of cans of g/d they used to make up the case are still the more solid stuff. I suppose the food is still good, it's just that now I have to feed more of the can at once. I'm paying the same price and getting water instead of food.

Let me say as well, that I am aware this food is not popular here. I have tried to use better quality food for my cat with cholangial hepatitis and it was not successful. For one thing, she doesn't like most canned food and for another the liver problems began to return. Sorry, it was a while ago, can't give you the names of the ones I tried. Wellness was one that might have worked if only she would eat it. At this point the c/d has done the trick for some years and now I am afraid to mess with something that "ain't broke."

My Vet is investigating with Hills. I would appreciate hearing if others have noticed the more watery food too.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Ya, I saw a little while ago that Hill's was changing the texture of a few of their canned formulas (C/D, R/D, W/D and K/D). They claim the minced varieties have "a more natural meaty texture" . Here's their blurb: http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/uti...styAlternative

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 2nd, 2009, 12:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, but I can't find the blurb. The link goes to their website where I searched and searched but could find no information on them changing their food. I searched the newsletter archives which, strangely, is no more recent than 2007. Probably I am looking in the wrong place but if you have another link to the blurb, Sugarcatmom, I would appreciate it, thanks again.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Funny. I just opened the page. It's right there. Saying what is discontinued and what is taking it's place.
Was going to copy and paste but can't. There's a copyright on the page.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Something weird is going on. I tried the link a second time and got an error message. It went to Hills but a box said info at the link was missing. I've just now gone a third time and can get the site again, and can copy and past it to a word document but not to this forum. Not even from the word doc. I still don't get the blurb. It's not the Hills home page I get either; something else with a cat or dog option at the top with other stuff. Does the blurb have a title? Maybe I could search for it that way.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Wait, is this it?

http://www.hillspet.com/hillspet/uti...bmLocale=en_CA

This says

Quote:
Culinary Sensation for
Cats Just Got Better
Look for Hill’s® Prescription Diet® i/d® and s/d® Feline canned pet foods in the minced form preferred by pet owners

Hill’s® Prescription Diet® i/d® Feline canned and s/d® Feline canned pet foods have upgraded from the canned loaf form to the new preferred minced variety. This soft, smooth textured blend is cooked in savory juices and offers the same precise nutrition, with a more natural meaty texture that’s easy to serve.

We recommend that when transitioning from a loaf formula to a minced formula, mix more of the new pet food with less of the old pet food over a 7-day period.

Check out the new improvements from
Hill’s® Prescription Diet®
i/d® Feline canned pet food
s/d® Feline canned pet food
Hill’s® Prescription Diet® canned
pet foods unveils a new look.
You will notice that all Hill’s® Prescription Diet® canned pet foods have updated packaging.

A more vivid label

Easier to read and more consumer-friendly

Gold-colored cans in the 5.5-oz. size

The same precise nutrition you trust
From this it looks like all the c/d got was a new label. The new minced applies to only i/d and s/d. Still a big help to me to know even this much.

What a farce, I say. Sure the loaf was too solid for my cats. I just broke it up with a fork and sometimes did add a bit of liquid. My opinion is it is just an excuse to put less food in the can and charge the same money. I phoned my Vet before starting this thread and asked them to find me another food if the loose textured c/d is all I'm going to be able to get.

Last edited by Longblades; February 2nd, 2009 at 01:58 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Well that is weird, cause it works fine for me.

Nothing too exciting, but here is what I could copy/paste:

Quote:
Felines Savor Tasty Alternative
Hill’s® Prescription Diet® c/d® Multicare, r/d®, w/d® and k/d® Feline canned pet foods have evolved. Hill’s® Prescription Diet® continues to provide the best nutrition for your cats. In the next few months, Hill’s® Prescription Diet® c/d® Multicare, r/d®, w/d® and k/d® Feline pet foods loaf form will be discontinued. The preferred minced form is already available in a variety of flavors.
  • Canned minced varieties offer a more natural meaty texture
  • Provides the same precise nutrition as the loaf form
We encourage you to transition your patients currently on the loaf formula, mix more of the new pet food with less of the old pet food over a 7-day period.
There's also a chart of the discontinued products and what to replace them with, but it doesn't copy well

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 2nd, 2009, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Wellness was one that might have worked if only she would eat it.
How did you introduce it? Can you try mixing a teensy weensy amount in with her usual food and just every so gradually increase the proportion? That method works with most cats.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Contributor

More and more weird. We found different announcements. I'm off to search for
Quote:
Felines Savor Tasty Alternative
Yes, bits at a time. This cat really does not like any canned food. We need it not only for its own characteristics but also to mix her other meds in with; prednisone and ursodiol. She takes these quite readily when mixed with canned.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

My computer is POSSESSED. Now Sugarcatmom's first link is going to the same place as my link. And a search for Felines Savor Tasty Alternative goes to the same place.

I quit. I'm going to take PuppyBoy for a nice walk in the bright, sunny winter day we have and forget about this for a while.

Maybe when I get back I will find a link I can send to my Vet. If not I will have to arrange for my computer to be exorcised.

Thank you very much for your perseverance. I do now have something to at least tell my Vet. Wonder why they don't know this?
Old February 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Too funny. I mean not funny funny but weird funny. Maybe this will help. If you go to this page where they list all the prescription diets for cats, then click on the link for C/D canned, then scroll down to where it says WHERE TO BUY, just underneath that it says "Hill's® Prescription Diet® c/d® Multicare with Chicken Feline canned food has evolved. See our improvements". Click on "See our improvements" and hopefully, it'll take you to the page I'm looking at.

Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

You won't believe this. You probably think I am either a crackpot messing with you or incredibly inept on the computer but.....

The first time I tried your last suggestion I got as far as 'See Our Improvements", clicked on it and went right back to the first webpage I got way back at the beginning.

I started over and got to the page that has the "Where To Buy" on it ..... and the "See our Improvements" IS NOT THERE NOW.

My third try ended up the same as the first. The 4th try was the same as the second. It seems to alternate.

I have an idea. I'm going to try the OH's computer.
Old February 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Nope. On his I don't get past "Where To Buy" at all. Must be something to do with our ISP, maybe?