Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 8th, 2016, 03:06 PM

Smelly dog

Have you ever had a smelly dog? If so, what did you do to remove the smell? I'd like to know your thought.
Old July 8th, 2016, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

How did your dog get smelly was it sprayed by a skunk or roll in something gross? If my dog was smelly just from being dirty I would give him a bath with a dog shampoo and wash his bedding too.
Old July 8th, 2016, 09:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What we do depends on why the dog smells. Care to be a little more specific, Patchie? Do you have doggy tails...er tales...to tell? What did they get into? Inquiring minds want to know! (And I certainly hope it's nothing as bad as skunk... )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:00 AM
Senior Contributor

Ditto above and to add, can you isolate a spot that smells? Stud tail can smell really, really, really bad. It's an infected supracaudal gland down on the tail and there will probably be hair loss too. Any dog or cat can get it, not restricted to studs. Other smells might have a particular location too, like anal glands. Or ears. Or mouth from a broken tooth or mouth from teething.
Old July 9th, 2016, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I had a dog roll in a very ripe fish head and OMG talk about a smelly dog ! She was very pleases with herself I had to drive home and my poor daughter had to sit in the back seat with smelly doggie ! Thanks goodness the ride was very short , I almost vomit ! My dog got a very long bath !
Old July 10th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Just thought I'd come back to add, I've had a smelly dog more times than I'd like from him rolling in stuff. For skunk spray I use a shampoo made especially for that, like Skunk Off. For other stuff I just use his regular, medicated shampoo Furrever Devoted.

Two weeks ago he found garbage from we guess someone's freezer that failed. Some criminal person disposed of this garbage in our county forest (It is a chargeable offense, though I guess not strictly something they'd get a criminal record from, unless maybe toxic, which some other garbage was) and my dog ate and rolled in rotten meat. OMG! The STINK was awful. I hauled stuff out of his mouth and my hands stank as well. It took three baths, lather rinse repeat three times, with an extra at his his neck, to get the stench off him. I tried to wash my hands in dirt, then when got to my car was so thankful I keep wipes in it. I sprayed the inside of my car with a heavy dose of Febreeze to get the stench out of it, I'd rather suffer the effects, if any, of Febreeze fumes, than breathe that stench in.

Long story short - a bath once in a while is not going to hurt your dog.
Old July 10th, 2016, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

The OP hasn't come back , I wonder if their dog smelled so bad they passed out from the smell...
Old July 15th, 2016, 11:54 AM

I used dishwashing liquid to bathe my dog. It smells good, and it takes longer to take off the smell.

It is also milder than most dog soap designed to kill ticks and fleas.
Old July 15th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.dogchannel.com/dog-inform...dish-soap.aspx

According to his web site dishwashing soap cab dry out a dog skin after awhile . I wouldn't use this on my dog all the time and you have to be careful with getting some soap in dog eyes. I knew a guy that had a Samoyed dog and he bathe his dog and got soap in the dog eyes and blinded the poor dog for good !