Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 9th, 2011, 08:34 PM

Exclamation Help!? My Dog Will Not Stop Peeing + Other Unusual Behaviour

Hello

I'm not good at introductions so I will dive straight in.

I've been reading the forums and peeing dogs seems to be a problem that a lot of owners have. I must say, I have never really had that problem until now and I'm a bit lost as what to do next, so I hope the kind people of this forum might be able to give me some ideas.

I apologize for this being a long post but I believe the details are important in order to receive useful advice.

I have owned/own a total of 3 dogs. A German Sheppard (Alsatian) , a mix breed Pit-Bull - Jack Russel (a very funny looking dog) and a Boarder Collie. I also spend a lot time with my dogs and receive a lot of praise from owners and non-owners a like about how well trained my dogs are so I would rate myself as relatively experienced with dogs. The German Sheppard died recently of a twisted stomach ( he was also quite old) and the jack Russel pit-bull ( he's called Jackpit) became very sad and lonely, at least thats the impression I had. So I decided to get a 3rd dog ... the Boarder Collie. As my first 2 dogs were males I decided to go for a female dog this time.

Boarder Collies are supposed to be relatively smart dogs however compared to my other 2 dogs this one seems to be quite stupid. Its young - 7 months old, from a pet pound and female. Jackpit was also from the same pet pound and it took me a little bit longer to housebreak him( around 2 weeks compared to 1 week for the Alsatian). Soso (the Boarder Collie) does not seem to understand, I have had her for a total of 2 months now and she just wet my bed 5 mins ago (1st time).

I go outside a lot with her; when I have the feeling she needs to pee (sniffing the ground / keeping her nose low) or when some amount of time has past since I was last outside with her. When I go outside 80% of the time she will not pee. If I ignore her she will just stand there and then finally lie down OR she will go and find a ball and try and get my attention in order for me to throw it ( at least she has understood that much). 90% of the time when she does pee is when I am praising her just gently stroking her head when she is sitting at my feet .. the more enthusiastically praise her the more she will pee. She seems only to pee when she gets excited.

The problem is she has the same behavior inside the house. It may be enough for u to tell her to get down from the sofa or even a simple "no" will do the trick and she will start peeing. In this situation I try and get her attention possibly by clapping loudly (1ce) or picking her up which in either case results in more peeing.. its a vicious circle.. Finally when I put her outside she will stop peeing frustrating to say the least..

When visitors come and they greet her she will sit on or near their feet and pee everywhere. Welcome to my house.

There have been occasions when I have taken her outside either on a walk or just in the garden when she has gone and taken pee normally. In this case I try and praise her in an over the top fashion .. most recently using treats such as meat. However she doesn't really seem to understand at least thats the impression I get. She can't seem to connect my praise to her behavior.

She has understood some basic commands such as come , stay and sit however most of the time I have to repeat them 2 -3 times before she does them. Mostly she will just stand and stare at me.

When I first got her I was amazed at how much attention she was giving me .. following my every step never leaving my side watching every little thing I do. I thought wow this dog is gonna be really easy to teach ... how wrong I was.

Other Unusual Behavior:

She sorta moans a lot .. sounds a bit like she is annoyed a medium pitched whine and then will frantically start biting her own behind or pulling her tail. I thought it was flees or something like that. I've put one of those drops on the back of her neck and tail every month I've had her. It has become a little better but she still does it regularly. Also ( this is probably normal) its the only dog I've met that seems to loose absolutely no hair ( maybe cause she is a puppy).

Anyway... thanks for reading this far and I'm sorry If I ranted on a little bit. I would very much appreciate any comments / ideas or advice you are willing to give. The only thing to add is that she has been sterilized 2 days before I picked her up from the pound so about 2 months ago.
Old January 9th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Welcome to the board Marlkrem. The first thing I would ask is if you have taken for a checkup. The urinating could be from a urinary tract infection, or a bladder infection. They can be very persistant and cause a lot of the issues you have mentioned. We are dealing with that in one of our Malamutes right now. The moaning/whining you mentioned could be related. I also have a Mal puppy who has had several problems (mainly immune-mediated). He will go through periods where he whines, cries, chases his tail, violently bites his hind area (legs, paws, tail) and rips clumps of fur from himself. We are now trying to determine if it is neurological or behavioral. I do have some video recorded to show the vet. If you would like to see it, let me know and I'll upload it to youtube.

When your pup bites at herself, can you get her attention? Will she stop and look at you? Can you make her sit? How often does she seem to do it? Is there anything you have noticed prior to this happening, any particular pattern of behavior? Biting the legs, tail, tail chasing and self aggression can be partial complex seizures.

Also, I would seriously consider not using those drops. There are several articles that link flea/tick/dewormers to neurological behavior and seizures. In fact, we now believe vaccines to be the cause (or in the very least an aggravating event) to our pups meningoenchephalitis/seizures.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old January 12th, 2011, 01:18 PM

By all means take her in for a checkup to rule out a UTI. However, the peeing patterns you are describing (peeing for corrections, peeing when greeting new people) sounds to me like submissive urination - she is peeing because she is afraid and wants to show you/others she is no threat.
Being a rescue, it is very possible that she was punished for peeing or other "undesirable" behaviors and has this has developed into a strong fear response.
What type of training methods do you use? Positive reinforcement training is a great way for shy dogs to gain confidence in you and themselves.
With many fear behaviors the best strategy is re-direction. For example, if she is urinating when new people come to the door you can teach her a place command in another room and wait until your guests are sitting down and less threatening for you to introduce them.
Let us know how things are going
Old January 12th, 2011, 09:23 PM

Submissive urination

I agree with the previous poster that it sounds like submissive urination. Definitely visit your vet to rule out any urinary tract infection or urinary crystals/stones though. Your vet can also give you some advice on dealing with submissive urination. Some dogs grow out of it, others don't. If you have the time to get her involved in something like agility it may help build her confidence. That can sometimes help submissive urination and also its a great outlet for a high energy breed like a border collie.
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:53 AM

Border Collie peeing

Hi
I am new to this board. So I hope you wont mind if I wade in. Border Collies when young can sometimes take a little longer to sort themselves out. And she is a rescue patience for her, She will be bored the attention she is giveing her back end is something that will pass.Bordom for this breed can seem as though she is a wee bit stupid.
This will pass. She will bond. Do you have a doggie door?

Submissive peeing is something that happens to all young dogs. You have done a wonderful thing you have rescued her, time kindness and understanding will go a long way.
I put an old towel at the back door or where she seems most likeley to go.It will wash. And you can over time get it outside the door. Continue to incourage her. It really will get better. {Time is all it takes}A rescues take a wee bit longer to get over some things.
Forgive that this is long.
Hang in.
Old January 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra RVT View Post
I agree with the previous poster that it sounds like submissive urination. Definitely visit your vet to rule out any urinary tract infection or urinary crystals/stones though. Your vet can also give you some advice on dealing with submissive urination. Some dogs grow out of it, others don't. If you have the time to get her involved in something like agility it may help build her confidence. That can sometimes help submissive urination and also its a great outlet for a high energy breed like a border collie.
I agree, this is submissive peeing. When guests come over, ensure that they totally ignor her(in communication and eye contact) to curb the behaviour. It will resolve in time.

Border collies are brilliant dogs but they are alittle stubborn and more difficult to house train. If you do not catch her in the act, there is no point in correcting. If you raise your voice (yell) this will only contribute back to submissive peeing. She needs gain trust in you and therefore you must be very careful on how you correct. Who knows what she lived before in your home so take this into account.
Old April 16th, 2011, 08:54 AM

My dog keeps weeing in the house

My 18 months female Jack Russel keeps weeing in the house- any where.. on the bed, floor, chair.
She knows its wrong.. she is a very happy energetic dog and I have had her from a pup... she knows outside is where she should go to wee.
She has also started to chew furniture, im at my tether, just dont know what to do anymore, I have started over and over to go back to training, but she keeps going back to being dirty.
Can anyone help ??

Last edited by Mas; April 16th, 2011 at 09:08 AM.

Tags
behavior, peeing, puppy training, training