Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old November 4th, 2014, 12:52 PM

Bored smart dog? Frustrated not-so-bright dog?

I don't know what to *do* with Loki, my maybe-4-month old going-to-be-a-big-dog mixer.

I do part-time work from home, which means I have a variable schedule, and a portion of my day can focus on my new pup while my 3 kiddos are at school.

We just started obedience and their recommendation is NOT to take puppers for walks until he's better on leash, since he pulls and we don't want to reinforce that behaviour inadvertently (I totally get that) so as a result he and I hang out in the backyard on some days, depending on my schedule: I let him wander around, sniffing and being a dog, sometimes I'll play tug with his rope toy (in the Ian Dunbar way: 30 secs of tugging, then a 'thank you' and sit, and then start up again), and sometimes I'll just run around and let him chase me.

Some days we don't do that, and a larger portion is spent inside, with maybe only a brief outside time, or a quick(ish) walk to the mailbox.

On any given day we also spend time inside doing "training" like the sit/stay/down, go find it, where's mummy, and where's the treat under the paper cup.

I need him to have time to enjoy his kong or bone, or rope toy on his own so I can focus on work, but he really doesn't seem interested. He'll empty his kong in a short amount of time, or becomes disinterested if the treats (apple, PB, liver) are too hard to get out and then he starts to roam around the main floor where I work at my desk. He seems really bored!

How can I encourage him to be more persistent with getting out the treats so it can keep him occupied longer, or give him some chewy toy to enjoy longer than 10 minutes?

Please ask any questions which might help gain a bigger picture, and I welcome any suggestions. We played and trained for almost 2 hours this morning and he's conked out in his crate right now (I know, good time to do some work! But alas, here I am lol) but I cannot do this all the time, and this afternoon is surely going to be tough when I need him to be quiet and contented in his bed at my feet.

TiA!
Old November 4th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Is there a puppy playgroup you bring your puppy to , you would need to do some background check on the place first .
Old November 4th, 2014, 11:21 PM

It sounds like you and your pup are having a great time and him being bored and wanting all your attention sounds completely normal to me. The only suggestion I would have is that since he is a fairly large mixed breed I would check out sites like fidosavvy.com and search extra large breed as there are recommended limitations on excercising large breed puppies to protect the growth plates. Have fun and enjoy your handsome Loki
Old November 14th, 2014, 10:58 AM

Well, that very night I wrote that post, Loki was *really* sick! I took him to the vet on Wednesday as soon as I could get in, and he had to go to Hospital for blood tests and stuff.

He must have been trying to tell me he wasn't well, and I didn't understand him!

That night: After taking him out many, many times in a short period, at 12:30a I finally decided to let him 'cry-it-out' in his crate because he was waking the whole house. How terrible did I feel when I went to him at 530a (he was barking and whining to go out again) and his crate was covered in feces and vomit and pee!

He seems to have forgiven me, but I'll tell you - I sure trust his barking/whining/crying that he's trying to tell me something.

Since then, he and I seem to be understanding each other a lot more (or maybe it's just a function of time and relationship building...) because we seem to be working together better as a team
Old November 14th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Do you know what is wrong with your doggie , I hope he 'll be better soon.
Old November 15th, 2014, 11:03 PM

Sorry to hear that your pup was ill. How is Loki doing? Did you get the results back yet on his blood work etc. crossing my fingers that he just ate something he shouldn't have. Here's hoping he's on the mend now.