Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old October 20th, 2004, 01:24 AM

Exclamation Cat wants to be outdoors

Hello.

I have a 5 month old kitten who is desperate to be outdoors. I don't let her go outdoors because I live on a busy street with very fast cars and my fence isn't very secure. I try to let her out just to give her some fresh air but it never fails, she takes off as fast as lightning and runs up a tree. One time she even went into a neighbors yard (and thankfully their dog was inside at the time). But the worst was that a few days ago she ran up the tree for about 1 1/2 hours and then jumped on the roof to our house. As soon as I climbed on the roof she saw me and jumped off. I was so scared, but she took off into the house. What can I do to stop her from running out everytime someone opens the front door? Or what can I do to train her to not run up the trees or leave the fron yard? Any suggestions would help. thanks.
Christina
Old October 20th, 2004, 01:32 AM
banned user

I don't know what to tell you, but first, I hope you plan on getting her spayed, once she goes in heat, her drive to be outside is going to go through the roof and if she does get out, you will most likely get her back pregnant (if at all)
A male cat I have does the same thing, he will try to run out every chance he gets and when he does manage it, we get him back in the house more easily now than before, and it's been about 5 years now.
You can try to train her by getting a harness type collar and leash, made for cats and take her outside that way... eventually it should calm down some. There are some people here who take their cats out with no problems, maybe they'll have something to add. Good luck.
Old October 20th, 2004, 05:28 AM
banned user

Run Free

Hi

Have you thought about getting kitty a harness and leash? that way you can take her out for a little nature walk and will feel safe that she stays near you
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:10 AM

I have 2 male neutered tabby cats that do the same thing. They get more adventurous at night time as their eyes adjust better to the dark. If my husband goes out or I go out, they sit at the door meowing their heads off at the door! I take them out on leashes and harnesses, but they don't move when those are on.....I feel as lost as you do guerabe.....hopefully someone has some suggestions, and if there's nothing I can do, at least I'll know i'm not alone!!
Old October 20th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Animal Lover!!

Hi there, we have two kitty's that we take outside, but when we first started taking them out, we had them on a harness & a leash. That way they couldn't take off. You could try that As well, spaying your kitty will help as well!
Talon 7yrs - Male
My Little Chocolate Girl - Solara - ** 10 MONTHS **
Old October 20th, 2004, 12:12 PM

Pretty good recovery skills by your cat! In this post, you mention your cat is depressed and doesn't want to move. Now, since this post thread was created 6 minutes after the first one, I'd say that's an amazing recovery!