Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 4th, 2017, 12:12 PM

Lily Had her spay yesterday

And she ate a couple bites of food and has been hiding ever since. We found her yesterday evening but she moved and now we can't find her at all. I'm worried because I have some pain meds to give her but I can't find her. Is this normal or should we be tearing the house apart to find her??
Old March 4th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes you need to find her to made sure she is OK and she need to be drinking water and get her meds . Have you looked outside too ,is Lily a dog or cat I can't remember which she is?
Old March 4th, 2017, 12:34 PM

We found her! She is alright and I gave her her meds. We have now confined her to the family room as she seems to want to be alone, but it's too scary when we don't know where she is.
Old March 4th, 2017, 12:37 PM

Lily is the cat we adopted from the Human Society in January.
Old March 4th, 2017, 01:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, the poor darling! Glad you found her. Your solution sounds like a good one. If you have a large dog crate--one large enough to accommodate a litter box, food/water dishes and a comfy bed--that can be used, too. We have a Great Dane-appropriate wire crate that JD used to sleep in, but we used it after his neuter, too, to keep him quiet and close at hand for a few days.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 4th, 2017, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

That is great news you found her ! Animals will hide when they're not feeling good or frighten . I was worried she might slipped outside without your knowing it . I hope Lily well feel better fast . Poor little she has no idea what happen to her but she needed to spayed .
Old March 4th, 2017, 07:06 PM

Hi there Silverwind:

Was wondering yesterday how things were going with Lily and the family. Got a couple of other suggestions that might be of interest to you.

Hazel makes a good point using the great dane cage, but unfortunately most of us aren't blessed with a great dane cage.

I think your idea of turning the family room into a safe room for her for now for 2 or 3 days is a great idea, as long as you can afford the loss of the room. We have found in the past that if the kitty that has had the surgery has a safe area, and a safe place to hide, it makes it a lot easier on the kitty and the people.

If it were me, I would be having the young people make up a cardboard box for her to use as a hiding place, to sleep in and for bedding. Ideally the travel case is best but after this type of an episode, she may not want to have anything to do with it. She would relate her pain to the travel case.

Just equip her in the room with food, water, and her litter box.

Barkingdog brings up a great point about the possibility of the cat making a break for the outside door when it's open. I think I'd be pointing out very strongly to the young people, to make sure the door is closed when friends come around. That would include any visitors that come around. This would help to prevent the cat from making a dash. She is under extreme stress right now, and it could last for at least 2 months. So be careful that you don't lose her out the door.
Old March 4th, 2017, 08:37 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Reg made some awesome points..Couldnt have put it better.
Poor Lily she is probably feeling a little under the weather thus her wanting to hide...
Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old March 5th, 2017, 03:17 PM

Thanks for the good advice everyone. Lily is feeling a bit better today. She wants a bit of a freer range around the house, came upstairs for food/meds/pets, and is back to hiding again. She is not a fan of outside, but since she is not feeling well, I suppose it's possible she could do something unexpected because she isn't quite herself, I'll make sure we keep the door closed. Thanks for that reminder. I would hate to lose her outside- it's cold and snowy out.