Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2005, 12:05 PM

Question Dog Safe antiinflammitories

Would anyone know if Advil is safe to give a dog with swollen sore arthritic joints? How about Vioxx or Celebrex?
Thanks
Maureen
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Hi Maureen!

Since Vioxx and celebrex have been taken off the human market, I would not use it in my dogs!!! I know there are over the counter things we can give dogs (like Pepto Bismol, benadryl, ...), don't know about Advil though and I think I read that some human anti inflammatory drugs must be avoided in dogs, but I don't remember which. Maybe someone will be able to guide you or refer you to the info.

Anyone???
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:46 PM

The only thing I've heard that is safe for arthritic pain is buffered asprin. You should call your vet before giving him anything.
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

My friend used to use Buffrin when her dog got older and became arthritic, but that was years ago. My BIL Akita (Chase) has arthitis, and gets shots at the vet, and vet also recomended Sasha's blend (I think that's what it's called).

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Please check with your vet. Definitely do not give your dog Vioxx. While it helps people - not sure about dogs - and it was the only medication that worked for my migraines - I won't take my leftovers. Re Benadryl, that is what is generally prescribed for a dog to take after say a bee sting if there is a reaction - provided the dog is not allergic to Benadry. I actually am, but my dog likes bees. I have the children's version at the ready. I definitely would not give your dog Advil - I can't take Advil.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:01 PM

You shouldn't medicate your dog without speaking to your veterinarian first. You could cause more harm to your dog.

There are some really good arthritic medications/treatments specifically formulated for dogs.

My dog suffers from arthritis and she is using Sasha's Blend. It is not an NSAI but a more holistic form of arthritic treatment and she does very well on it. Basically you buy it from your vet and you mix it in with their food daily.

Please check with your vet. Some of the medication that you mentioned are too strong for a dog. You could end up overdosing your dog. Your veterinarian will be able to tell you what you can give and at what dosage.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:02 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Advil (ibuprofen) for dogs

Most vet info on the topic that I have seen says NOT to give Advil (Ibuprofen) to dogs.

You should speak with your vet though to see what appropriate medications would be suitable for YOUR dog. Many dogs have had success with glucosamine for arthritis so you may want to ask yout vet about that one as well.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM

Wow, thanks for all the advice this is a very helpful forum. I know about Vioxx and I would never give it or anything other than ASA to my darling old boy (brittany spaniel)for his arthritis. What I really was wondering about was COX-2 inhibitors (like Vioxx, Mobicox and Celebrex etc.) Are ANY of them safe for dogs? If any vets are reading PLEASE respond to my question it would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
Maureen
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
Kitty Consort

Hi Maureen, and welcome to you!
I agree with advice above, I would call you vet for safety confirmation and the correct dosage before giving your dog ANY human medication - just to be sure its ok.

A well meaning person on the internet once advised me to give my sick cat a Tylenol! As she was a cat breeder, I foolishly trusted her advice... (they're NOT vets,though)
I cut it in half, then quarters..finally decided to skip it as I didnt know how much to give.
The next morning the vet advised me that one adult Tylenol would likely have killed him, and any of it would have made him extremely ill. I was horrified how close I came to poisoning my own cat. :sad:

Of course cats and dogs systems assimilate things differently and depending on what it is. Some approved for one would not be for the other - such as certain pain relievers.
But for complete safetly and peace of mind.. I would check with your vet first.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:10 PM
owned by Tucker

My last dog had taken bufferin, 222's and motrin all advised by my vet, but you have to find out from your vet the dossage. Don't fool around with human meds and dogs some can kill very easily.
Old May 10th, 2005, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I gave my last dog plain Bayer Aspirin for his arthritis and that did help him.

Depending on your dog's age and condition, dog meds like Metacam or Rimadyl may certainly help him too.

NEVER give human meds to animals without a vet's okay and especially not to cats.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:09 PM

Apririn only. And only on the recommendation of the vet. Other drugs are toxic at human doses. Sometimes a third of a pill is enough, to kill a dog. Don't risk it. Just one regular or even children's aspirin, with vet permission, on a very full stomach.
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:30 PM

My dog Desia had very bad arthritis as well..we used to give him one children's aspirin (81 mg), sometimes two if lots of pain. Another thing you could try is giving your dog glucosamine sulfate and evening primrose oil to rebuild/lubricate the joints. I'm not a vet though so check with vet first but this is what we did for our Desia (bichon frise). Don't underestimate the power of a gentle massage once in a while..it seemed to help Desia when he'd get really sore.
Jen
Old May 11th, 2005, 10:35 PM

one more thing...

By the way the coated aspirin protects the stomach but takes longer to work...the uncoated is harder on the stomach but works quicker (depends on severity of pain).
Old May 12th, 2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I gave my last dog plain Bayer Aspirin for his arthritis and that did help him.
Please ask your vet first about the exact dosage of aspirin or acetaminophen because while it can be o.k. for pain relief, the required dosage for dogs is usually MUCH MUCH less than the ammount/lb for humans.
Old May 12th, 2005, 12:13 PM
banned user

I have been giving Blaze Glucosamine for months 1 pill per day 500mg after visiting our Vet because of limping in the winter. It relieves joint pain in dogs, you can buy it from your Vet or anywhere. I bought Jamieson 300 caplets for around $15.00.. Wal-Mart. Bayer Aspirin is what I was also told to give him for pain and read this in my golden retriever book for dummies.
Old May 12th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmommy
Please ask your vet first about the exact dosage of aspirin or acetaminophen because while it can be o.k. for pain relief, the required dosage for dogs is usually MUCH MUCH less than the ammount/lb for humans.
I gave him the aspirin on the advice of my vet. At 80lbs, my dog could take two in the a.m. and again at night.
Old May 12th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

The recommended dosage is 5mg per pound, preferrably enteric coated or on a full stomach.

They also have some drugs that are showing more success than Rimadyl now.

I would speak to a vet beforehand to get precise info, and also to avoid simply giving an aspirin to pain that should be addressed and perhaps further analysed.