Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 10th, 2005, 02:15 PM
banned user

Talking We are so spoiled

The thread about people interfering with your pet training (letting them bite and jump, giving them treats without asking, etc.) inspired me to write this.
As I was reading that thread, I realized how fortunate Raj and I are in our little tiny town.

Yes, one of those towns (5 stoplights, woo hoo!) where we all know each other. It's my little Mayberry .

When I go to the local country restaurant, I open up the back of the Jeep. Raj's bed is back there. She has her toys, water dish, chewies and favorite pillow, too.
I back the Jeep up to the face the restaurant window, right in front of the walkway into the place. So there is just the walkway between the window and the Jeep. People walking by are going right past Raj in her bed (it's at the end of the walkway, so if they wanted to avoid her, they could just enter the walkway on the other side of the Jeep).

I sit by the window when I go into the restaurant, so Raj can see me and I can see her.

She gets lots of attention from the restaurant customers. They greet her when they are passing by, and watch her from inside the restaurant, too, commenting about her nail color that day, or a new toy they noticed, etc.

The waitresses save baked potatoes and cooked veggie side plates that come back from a table untouched. Rather than throwing them in the garbage, they save them for Raj. She has a container in their fridge with her name on it for just these purposes!

These folks are so sweet. They know that I add ice to Raj's water bowl when it is hot out there. I also have a shade-type awning that goes over the open hatch to keep her shaded. I can't tell you how many times I've seen people check her water, add ice, or adjust the shade if the wind has moved it.

The other day I was using the phone in the restaurant. I was out of sight of the customers. On hold, I listened to a few of them talking around the corner. Here's what I heard from an old couple who we see there all the time:

"Can't she just have a tiny piece of this chicken?"
(The wife): "No, Tom, you know she's allergic to meat!"
"But just a tiny piece? A tiny piece won't hurt her, will it?"
"Oh yes it will! You know better than that"
"Aw, ok. I'll save her my carrots, then."
"Just remember she has to take them nice and easy."

We are so lucky to live where we live, and with such wonderful people.
In fact, I think we're downright spoiled!

Last edited by Cactus Flower; May 10th, 2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:23 PM

YES you ARE spoiled and very lucky. People here are doggy haters. In my neighborhood anyway. Did you read the other thread where I mentioned about a friend from the dog park's dog peeing on someone's lawn and the guy saying "Well? Where's your bag?" And people give Boo chicken cookies at the park all the time and don't care that I'll be up all night with a puking dog and I'll have to fork out another $86 for the shots in his belly and antibiotics for his resulting bacterial overgrowth.

Last edited by Prin; May 10th, 2005 at 02:32 PM.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Kitty Consort

That is very sweet, Cactus Flower. You are fortunate indeed.
How nice to live in such a friendly and warm little commuity where everyone looks out for everyone else - even the doggies.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Senior Contributor

That is very nice CF but I have you beat I have one stop light in my town. LOL Although here everyone has a dog all are mutts almost none prolly have shots and most not fixed. Do not get me wrong there are alot of people that take care of their animals just alot more that do not. I have a man down the road that has about five dogs all tied out and are never messed with than I have a man down the road a little farther that has 20 cats prolly and none of them are fixed and they just keep having more and more. So we are in a small town but not a town full or animal lovers that are resposnible. You are very lucky! But how could everyone not love sweet Raja!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:39 PM

LOL! The old couple sound cute. You do have a nice town with some very nice people that live there.
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:41 PM
banned user

Aw, Princess. You are too sweet! And 20 unfixed cats??? Holy cow.

Yes, Prin, I read your comments on the other thread. Laughed out loud at the comment about picking up the pee!
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Did you read the other thread where I mentioned about a friend from the dog park's dog peeing on someone's lawn and the guy saying "Well? Where's your bag?"
Hey! I know that guy! Lol! He lives on 5th avenue in Verdun!!! I swear!!! Am I the friend you are talking about? Did I tell you about this??? Or is this a case of mistaken identity? Maybe there is more than one of those in Montréal... Whadda ya think? No, serious, some people just don't have a clue...

And Cactus flower, maybe I should not move to Nelson after all, but to Mayberry! Anyone got a job and a roof there for a Canuck and two dogs? :-)
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:07 PM
banned user

Mayberry isn't the real name of the town- it's a reference to the Andy Griffith show, set in an idyllic little place like this. Ahhh, you're giving your age away....you young ones wouldn't remember the show .

But yes, feel free to come on down!

Prin- that "Well, where's your bag?" comment was hilarious, but most people wouldn't appreciate someone's dog peeing on their lawn .

Last edited by Cactus Flower; May 10th, 2005 at 03:13 PM. Reason: adding smilie
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Hey! I know that guy! Lol! He lives on 5th avenue in Verdun!!! I swear!!! Am I the friend you are talking about? Did I tell you about this??? Or is this a case of mistaken identity? Maybe there is more than one of those in Montréal... Whadda ya think?
This guy is in Ahuntsic.. Maybe he's a landlord...

And yes, maybe people don't like dogs peeing on their lawns, but this was an accident. She was walking by. Better a dog than a human, I say. Joys of living in the ghetto next to a bar...

I just can't imagine trying to get pee in a bag. It would be hard. I think if it happened to me, I'd go home get a shovel and dig a little hole and if the guy screams, I'd say "Just trying to get all of it."
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:39 PM
banned user

Darling Prin, you know very well that these "accidents" are easy to prevent when you're walking your dog (on leash, I assume?). You just don't let them pee on someone else's lawn. It's common courtesy.

After seeing how much trouble my Mom has just gone through to create a lawn in her new yard, I understand why people would get upset at someone letting their dog pee on it. They don't want it killing the grass they went through so much trouble and expense to create.

Let's not turn this into a peeing contest LOL LOL LOL .

Perhaps you could start another thread, and see what everyone thinks?
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:42 PM

Once the doggy is in a squat, how do you stop it?
Old May 10th, 2005, 03:44 PM
banned user

You don't let them on to someone's property to squat in the first place!
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:01 PM

Yes but accidents happen... Anyway, we shouldn't wreck your thread about being spoiled.

I know it's a detail, but where do you get the ice? From the restaurant? Just because it gave me a chuckle that passers by add some ice too. Makes me think they have it in their pocket or in their purses. You never know what can happen in the desert... Well, I don't know what happens in the desert..
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
You don't let them on to someone's property to squat in the first place!
I agree CF I can noramally tell with my boys anyway when they are gonna pee. But I think that if someone was letting their dog pee in yard I would be upset. But maybe I am a weirdo! But I know that there are alot of people that take GREAT care of their lawn and I am sure even if they do not say anything it does not make them happy! I just keep them on the road or take them somewhere and let them pee. A field something and than they can walk. I normally let them outside in my yard till they pee than I take them on their walk. Because I know we have alot of neighbors that would be MAD! But I have weird neighbors as well.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM
banned user

Yes, they get ice from the restaurant, or from their ice water glasses.
Old May 10th, 2005, 04:42 PM

Well... To finish with my Verdun guy, there, my Loulou actually just squatted right there, on the sidewalk, as I was walking her... The guy was like 16 and he said "well, aren't you gonna pick that up?", so I offered to lick it off the pavement and he just turned around and left. But I understand why some people get mad to get pee or poo on their lawns...

Back to your wonderful little town in NM, Cactus Flower! So, obviously, I didn't know about Mayberry but then, I didn't watch english TV when I was younger, just french channels, so, the mystery is still total about my age!

So, you think it's easy to get a permit to get work down there? Hehe! Or do you know of any good looking bachelors ready for mariage???
Old May 10th, 2005, 05:29 PM
banned user

Désolé ! I should not have assumed that you are still a puppy . I forgot about you being French. Of course you wouldn't have heard of the Andy Griffith Show.

It's not as easy as it used to be to get a permit here, since the 9-1-1 terrorist attack. But it's not impossible. Just a lot of extra information is required that wasn't necessary before. And it is a longer process.

Bachelors? Oh you bet- if you like cowboys and Indians. That's mostly what there is out here. Very nice scenery, if you ask me .
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Flower
Bachelors? Oh you bet- if you like cowboys and Indians. That's mostly what there is out here. Very nice scenery, if you ask me .
Mmmm! Cowboys are ok but indians definately sound yummy! I have this thing for dark men and indians in particular :love:. When I was little, I used to eat a kind of potato chips which had a little indian on the package, because I thought that by eating them, I'd turn into one and get to marry one!!! I stopped to believe that quite young though... Hehe!

And yes, NM is beautiful (from what I saw of it). I took a train form LA to Montréal many years ago (I was 20, well, it was not THAT long ago!!!) and I had the pleasure to see part of the state through a window. At the time, I remember wishing I'd go back, find me an old wise indian that would take me on top of a mesa to smoke and eat crazy things that would help me discover the great truths of the universe!!! But I guess a younger one, say mid 30s to early 40s, with a great personality and good looks would also do!!! So thanks to refer any available candidates!!!

But I've been making peace with Nelson BC today. I think I might still research it some more, especially since it would be so much easier for me to get a job there (and the fact that I LOOOOOOOOOOVE the mountains and the nature around there). But you have certainly made me want to go on a trip down south!!! Just a question, that might sound stupid, but is it dangerous for dogs in the desert, with all the snakes and bugs? I remember some signs in Arizona and California that warned against those. Have you had any problems in that department?
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:14 PM

I think this is the thread that went astray in every which way...

So the people go out of the restaurant to see Raj? I thought they were walking by (hence the q'n about the ice...). It's so sweet that they actually go out to see her... (I'd probably be one of them...)
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:27 PM
banned user

Oh yes, Prin. They walk by her on their way in, watch her from inside the window, and go out with ice to add to her water, or with treats from their plates (they know it's ok with me, as long as its veggies or potatoes). They keep an eye on her, especially if I go into the corner of the restaurant to play the video games .

We're very blessed!
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:31 PM
banned user

Mamilou, I share your affinity!

You should come visit. I'll show you where I lived on the reservation, and introduce you around!
Old May 10th, 2005, 07:03 PM

That would be SO nice, Cactus!!! As soon as I can afford a vacation and some badly needed car repairs, I might just take you up on that offer! And I'd be more than willing to return the favor (but I'll have first to figure out where I'll be living these next years!). Ever been to Canada? Nice guys here too (even some indians!!!), hehe!

Oh! American Idol is starting, gotta go!!!

Have a great night y'all!!!
Old May 10th, 2005, 08:25 PM
banned user

I am Canadian by birth .