Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2005, 12:48 PM

Unhappy Oprah today....

On Oprah today, she has the person with the disgusting house back on the show, and later on she discusses "Animal hoarders". One lady had 96 cats in an apartment. Another with 81 cats, 6 dogs and lizards, spends $200 a week on her cats and has to buy a big bag of food every two days and 6 boxes of cat litter a week. Sad sad sad. These poor animals. It's really hard to watch.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:21 PM

I never understand why these people get air time. The show should be on the suffering of the animals and those who live around her--not on the persons crazy tendencies. I found that the last show she aired about the messy woman was outrageous. She was basically rewarded by Oprah for living like a pig--Oprah paid to have it cleaned, renovated etc. Average folks who keep a clean house certainly don't get on the show...

It's really a disgrace.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie
I never understand why these people get air time. The show should be on the suffering of the animals and those who live around her--not on the persons crazy tendencies. I found that the last show she aired about the messy woman was outrageous. She was basically rewarded by Oprah for living like a pig--Oprah paid to have it cleaned, renovated etc. Average folks who keep a clean house certainly don't get on the show...

It's really a disgrace.
Average folks who keep a clean house are not intresting for the public that is searching for entertainment! Oprah was trying to understand what a mental desease would cause a person to act in such a way. There are Animal Cops on animal planet who are focussing on suffering animals.
Anyway there will be a good end for the women's 81 cats that hopefully are going to be given for adoption and find good families.
Old May 6th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I don't think that the sort of disease someone would have in this case would be something that the mass population would need to understand. There are however a number of other diseases out there that she could address in a more educational way--like osteoexia for example (the illness of obsessive healthy eating).

If you ask me, glamourizing the fact that someone lives like that is not responsible. In the episode I watched she was jovial about it--not serious. Perhaps this episode will be more educational...I haven't seen it yet.
Old May 6th, 2005, 02:01 PM
banned user

Oh DON'T get me started on Oprah!

Remember that show where she threw herself a big birthday party, and gave everyone in the audience a new car?

Her very next show was about homeless people.

Gimme just five minutes with this woman, and her ears would bleed.
Old May 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I have it on right now I wanted to see all those animals and the family that did this and wanted to see what they said about it. This is so gross the wat that some people live.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:26 PM
cat slave

oprah's a fake./ I don't understand why ppl believe her BS.

That car give away i thought was a waste of money. She wins ppl's hearts with gifts.

hey Oprah ever thought of giving those money to people who actually NEED it??

most ppl in that audience already had a car.A car isn't a neccessity to most people. there's other ppl who do NEED food. Sadly a car doesn't do much for them.

Oprah like other media personalities knows how to use tv to get people to give her money.SHe's only rich thanks to all those people watching her.
Old May 6th, 2005, 10:45 PM

I like oprah... The people in the audience were supposed to have really needed the cars. And she does give money to people who really need it too... encoded post
Old May 7th, 2005, 12:53 AM

She didn't give the cars away. Those dealers did, so in essence profits of these companies did, or can they write them off for charity in the States.

I personally don't like Oprah shows. It's not her that gives these gifts it the manufacturers and she just gets credit for it.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:19 AM

Darn it. I wanted to see the dirty house lady and see if she kept her house clean. The channel that Oprah comes on here was covering the Oaks Friday so I didn't get to see Oprah.
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM

I just get tired of watching her give away gifts to her audience. While I understand that she can't possibly give to every deserving person, I don't feel it's necessary for me to continue to watch while many undeserving or less deserving people reap the rewards of scoring a ticket to her show.

She had one show where the audience was filled with teachers---I believe perhaps this was the one where they all got cars, and gifts galore. This show really bothered me. Sure, these teachers were selected for their giving nature and going the extra mile to help children, but what about every other person who does a little extra for their job, their neighbour or their child? What about the thousands of other teachers in her viewing audience who weren't selected?

The reality is that most of us work in a job that requires us to do something. Teachers teach because they love it and go the extra mile because they want to. Doctors heal for the same reasons...just like you and I may make similar efforts in our own lives or jobs. I don't think that people need to be rewarded with monetary gifts from Oprah for doing a good deed---or simply doing your job well. The self-gratification from doing the good deed should be enough.

Perhaps I am to idealistic in my views...either way, Oprah is good for many things, but her recent cash crusades have taken a toll on me.
Old May 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahlia
Darn it. I wanted to see the dirty house lady and see if she kept her house clean. The channel that Oprah comes on here was covering the Oaks Friday so I didn't get to see Oprah.
Dahlia, She did not keep her house clean and had to have medical help to do so.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Oh pleaaaaaaaase! I love Oprah!

I understand that some of the things she does serve commercial purposes but hey! I learned english watching her, as a teenager!!! If not, I'd be writting this in french, hehe!

And she was there to talk about life problems and situations when my mom what too busy working and my dad not around to do it with me... I learned a bunch about women, social and psychological issues because of her, which helps me to understand my world a little better.

For an exemple, I might not be overweight, but I understand overweight peoples situation a little better since she spoke about it so often on her show and I guess this brings more respect for these peoples' ordeal on my part. Same thing for mental health, sex abuse, and so on... That can't be bad, can it?

I say Oprah for president! Hehe!
Old May 9th, 2005, 06:05 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamielou
Oh pleaaaaaaaase! I love Oprah!

I understand that some of the things she does serve commercial purposes but hey! I learned english watching her, as a teenager!!! If not, I'd be writting this in french, hehe!

And she was there to talk about life problems and situations when my mom what too busy working and my dad not around to do it with me... I learned a bunch about women, social and psychological issues because of her, which helps me to understand my world a little better.

For an exemple, I might not be overweight, but I understand overweight peoples situation a little better since she spoke about it so often on her show and I guess this brings more respect for these peoples' ordeal on my part. Same thing for mental health, sex abuse, and so on... That can't be bad, can it?

I say Oprah for president! Hehe!
I would not exactly want her for president but she does rock. What's wrong with giving away stuff? Even if it does increase the ratings? It's free and helps many people.
Oprah is the major force behind the Angel Network and Habitat for Humanity.
I cannot find any fault with this.
Besides, she did dump alot of her own cash into the big prize givaways...with her net worth, she needs a tax break. People benefited from it. Is this so wrong?

Lighten up..

*Thanks Mamielou*
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:46 PM

No one is really that lit up on the subject to really warrant "lightening up."

If you were referring to me you might notice that I did say she was good for many things..and that my views might be somewhat idealistic for today's world. We're all entitled to our own opinion on her show....we don't all have the same tastes. It's not like anyone suggested she be dropped from the lineup.

Anyways, nuf Oprah talk for me!
Old May 9th, 2005, 07:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never watched Oprah so cannot claim to understand the hype but she does sound like she does some good/ So what if she makes bug bucks - it seems a tad above all that other garbage - which I do not watch either. It is too crazy!!
Old May 9th, 2005, 08:12 PM
IHeart Marty&Minou's Paws

I guess seeing as none of us have been the recipiants of any of her gifts we can bah-humbug her. . .

. . .I think if she gave me a car I would think differently of her. . .

She is like one of the richest women in the world, that woman need to make huge 'charitible donations' etc for tax purposes. . . .She just has more money than she can spend in a life time. . . I don't see anything wrong with finding flamboyant ways of spending your 'extra' millions! hahaha. . .

Getting back to the cats on the show. . . Did anyone look carefully at them?? They were all matted, dirty looking, with gunk in their eyes. . .there was even a cat who was missing an eye! Those poor kitties, no one hugging, kissing and loving each one of them!

I watched it, went and found Marty and Minou who were napping for a quick cuddle. . . . :love: :love:
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:28 PM
Personal servant to Joey

The dog whisperer

Actually I watched Oprah today. She had a dog whisperer on (don't recall his name but he is the best on the planet, dog whisperer to the stars. Oprahs dog Sophie (Cocker Spaniel) is unbalanced and has issues. Didn't like other dogs or to be alone. So the dog whisperer channeled his calm positive energy into the dog and now the dog is okay!!!! unbeleivable.....it was a true miracle!
Old May 9th, 2005, 10:35 PM

I missed that one, but I'll watch it tomorrow and see (yey satellite). What I'm concerned about is a few years ago, oprah had 2dogs, sophie and a male. I wonder if they got rid of the male...
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:01 PM
Personal servant to Joey

oh yes they still have the other dog I believe his name is Stedman or is that her hubby! Actually the other dogs name is Solomen.
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:02 PM

He's alive and everything then?
Old May 9th, 2005, 11:50 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Yes both dogs are alive and around 10 years old.
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchbulls
Actually I watched Oprah today. She had a dog whisperer on (don't recall his name but he is the best on the planet, dog whisperer to the stars. Oprahs dog Sophie (Cocker Spaniel) is unbalanced and has issues. Didn't like other dogs or to be alone. So the dog whisperer channeled his calm positive energy into the dog and now the dog is okay!!!! unbeleivable.....it was a true miracle!
I watch it too!! I think his name is Ceaser Milan, and I think he is amazing!

Oprah still has Sophie and Solomen, she seems to really love her dogs, and they are very well taken care of!
I thought she had Golden retrievers at one time? didn't she?

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old May 10th, 2005, 06:24 AM
Owned by goldens

Oprah

I think Oprah has done so much in regards to women's issues. Her show is honest and funny and yes sometimes commercial. I for one am happy for the people who score a ticket to her Christmas giveaway or those who got a car.

Her charities raise millions of dollars and help so many. How can she be faulted for that.

As for her teacher give away show. They deserved it. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes please do not criticize or try to compare them to professions like doctors. When we compare salaries there is no comparison.

I say "Oprah for president".
Old May 10th, 2005, 09:18 AM
Personal servant to Joey

I Like Oprah better then Jerry and yes I did like the dog whisperer show it was quite imformative.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:37 AM
Owned by goldens

Dog whisperer

I have been following the Dog Whisperer's show on the National Geographic channel for many months. He has such a logical approach to all problems people are having with their dogs.
Old May 10th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't watch Oprah a lot, but I sure do think that she is a wonderful lady. If you look at where she came from and where she is now - what an inspiration!
Old May 10th, 2005, 02:28 PM

I know!! To be raped at 9 by a cousin? And to use that to relate to others.. She's never too good to come down to the guest's level (except for her "D flawless" diamonds... I wish... I have TINY F S1 diamonds, and I consider myself lucky, I can't imagine having huge flawless ones.. I'm a diamond lover, can you tell? I love the sparkliness. But I digress...

I think that the fact that she was a "everygirl" makes it so easy to relate in some way to her.