Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM

Unhappy Best foods for FLUTD (feline lower urinary tract disease)

I have 2 neutered male cats (2 year old brothers). One has been diagnosed w/ FLUTD or FUS. He was in the hospital for 3 days last week w/ urinary blockage, he had to be catheterized and flushed out. Vet put him on Royal Canin urinary SO food to dissolve struvite crystals and keep him from blocking again. He will not eat the wet food and will only nibble on the dry food . I.ve been researching this disease and found that an all dry diet is very bad. I've been forcing extra water into him w/a syringe because extra water is critical and he doesn't drink much. I need to find a food that both cats can eat. My other cat is the alpha and is being very nasty to this cat. I'm guessing becaus e the sick cat is getting special food and treatment. The alpha cat would always try to steal the sick cats food before. I need a food they can both eat and will gobble up, since free feeding is not recommended with this disease. I'm considering Wellness canned food and adding a urine acidifier to the sick cats food. I've also heard the Flint River Ranch food is good for this,but its dry??? I'm also trying a cranberry extract. Very confusing... everyone has a different opinion. But cat needs food now...HELP
Old March 22nd, 2007, 11:59 AM

You need to find a cat food that produces an acidic urine of 6.0-6.4 and has moderate magnesium.
Meat creates acidity, so higher meat is better.
GO! Cat is 6.4 I know as I have a boy cat that eats this
I would also call Orijen and Evo to see what urine PH is produced from their foods.
Feeding throughout the day also decreases PH, and exercise is a factor. Adequate water intake is imperative to create a dilute urine. Purchasing a water fountain may help this, but certainly feeding tinned will too.
Clean litter boxes, and frequent PH testing with a test strip (Solid Gold has them) or a pool place or pharmacist, is also important. Recent research shows that even high levels of magnesium do not cause blockages PROVIDED the target PH is there
http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2729

Good Luck
Old March 22nd, 2007, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I would also keep the two cats apart for the time being and perhaps re-introduce them again later. The alpha may sense that the sick one is weaker and more vulnerable to attack, whereas before he only dared steal his food. Maybe the sick one smells funny. Either way, keeping them together only adds stress, which none of you need . Put them in separate spaces with their stuff and feed them there as well. Add Rescue Remedy to their water.
I wouldn't force water unless he is drinking absolutely nothing and refusing all wet food. Put his water in something deep, like a small pail. Cats love drinking from deep containers.
Maybe a little chicken, boiled with white rice, would appeal to him. I hope you can find some canned he will eat, because this is really the best, ensuring that they have a steady intake of liquid. You could also try moistening the kibble if he will eat nothing else.
Good luck.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 01:43 PM
-

I would try some of the top quality canned foods to increase his water intake.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 02:33 PM

thank you for your advice

Thanks for your advice on foods for feline flutd. I ordered some more royal canin urinary so dry for him until I can find something else they can both eat. I've added some chicken broth to it to get some more water in him. I booght some Purina proplan for urinary tact health , but he didn't like it too much and I don't know if it's safe for my other cat to eat. Keeping them seperated isn't easy. I'm going to try some Wellness canned and Natura dry. I also found some people who had success adding Wysong biotic PH- to Wellness canned. i also read tomato juice is good for this. Any feelings on Methigel.
Any help is graetly appreciated. We don't have another $1200.00 to spend to unblock again.
Old March 22nd, 2007, 03:42 PM

Methigel is fine, as it is an amino acid that promotes acidic urine. This is why high meat work, due to the amino acids. Be careful using SO for too long as it is designed to overacidify, and is not meant for long term. And FOR sure do not use the Methigel with this.
There are two other things, you would not use the Methigel or the BioticPH is your food is already producing an acidic urine, and because a food is formulated for urinary tract health DOES NOT neccesarily mean the it creates acidic urine. Do your due diligence. I have heard of tomato juice working, but once again you will need you PH sticks
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM

picky eaters

well I've tried many differnt canned foods and my cats will not eat them. I've tried Wellness,felidae, Innova(reg. and EVO) and proplan. I know the cat with Flutd should eat wet food, but he is used to eating the cuts and gravy style and will not eat these pate style foods. Does anyone know of a premium wet food that is cuts and gravy. For now I have been feeding him Felidae dry mixed with water and chicken baby food. He likes it and I hope it is OK for his condition. He hasn't been drinking any water...never was much of a water drinker. He always drank out of the toilet, I guess he thinks he's a dog. I try to keep the lids down so he'll drink the purified water I try to give him.
Old March 26th, 2007, 11:52 AM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say you've just put the food out and they've ignored it? You gotta be more clever with cats. Add a VERY small amount to whatever your feeding now. Like VERY small. Just to get them used to it. Then slowly add more.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938