Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old August 24th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

Does this seem enough??

At catnap cottages Anita, worried that they would turn into balloons, put my guys on a schedule (yay).

Now instead of being free-fed like I used to feed them they only eat 1/4 can each (the normal cans like tuna sized) in the morning and 1/3 cup dry kibble each at night.

I dont know why but this seems little to me..is it alright? I feed wellness dried and will be switching to wellness canned (while I was away they ate whiskis because my mom bought a case from costco).

Thanks guys
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:43 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Personally I don't think that is enough. SCM says approx 30(?) calories per lb of cat. So a 10 lb cat should have 300 calories a day to maintain weight. A small can of wet food is approx 220 calories a can (approx) which is not enough. I am not sure what is in dry but if you can get them eating all canned it would be better.
I guess the important thing is - did they lose weight?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:54 AM
Senior Contributor

That should be enough, depending on which types of Wellness you're using and what your cats' ideal weights are. The cans vary from 30-40 cal/oz (Chicken is highest at 40 cal/oz, Sardines, Shrimp & Crab is lowest at 30 cal/oz, although I don't recommend feeding that one too much because it's not grain-free and is high in carbs).

If you plan to feed Wellness Core for the dry, it's 535 cal/cup, so 1/3 of a cup is 178 calories.

For the canned, using an average of 35 cal/oz, 1/4 of can (1.375 oz) would be about 48 calories, for a grand total of 226 calories per day.

The average cat requires about 20-30 calories per lb per day (so 200-300 cal for a 10 lb cat), depending on things like age and activity level. So 226 calories (not including treats) might be fine for your kitties, or maybe not. But one thing I would suggest is upping the amount of canned and giving a touch less dry in the evening. 1/2 can would make it about 96 cal, and dropping the dry to 1/4 cup is 134 cal, for a total of 230 calories. That would also give them a bit more calorie intake in the morning to even things out.

Hope that helps!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 24th, 2008, 10:59 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

ooops, see, what did I know. Should leave the feeding up to the experts.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 24th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
ooops, see, what did I know. Should leave the feeding up to the experts.
Oh gosh no! You're partly right (and I was typing - and making toast and coffee - while you responded, or I would have said so ). It really depends on so many factors that the easiest thing is just to feed more if they lose weight (and shouldn't) or feed less if they gain weight (and shouldn't). Also, in the "confines" of Catnap Cottage, that's all they may have needed, but perhaps at home where they can run up and down stairs or whatever, they may need a touch more food. Plus, I don't know how much they weigh or if it's their ideal weight. And individual cats can vary quite a bit. My guy, who granted is quite senior and not very active, only eats about 15 cal/lb/day, and he's still on the chubby side of the equation. So really, there is no hard and fast rule.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys!

Sorry I didnt reply back earlier, got sidetracked

I upped the canned food to 1/2 can/day as suggested (its what I did before catnap anyway) and to be honest Im just free feeding the dry food for now (wellness indoor not core) just cuz I would be worried to give a measured amount and then have one of them eat the other's food, I just dont have the time to watch them eat all their kibble :|

Their weights are 4.41 and 6.55Kg for Bunduk and Onnie respectively as of last visit. Vet had said Onnie was a little pudgie (ok so he said it was rather difficult to do the abdominal palpitatin thing cuz there was too much fat) but that he lost weight since last visit (albeit small amount) - the only thing I had changed was their food type and adding canned..so perhaps I should stick with that since its working?
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh and Onnie lost a little bit of weight according to catnap and Bunduk stayed the same---however Bunduk grew longer in my opinion so I expected him to gainmore weight as he is a skinny dude (u can feel all his ribs under the floof).

14+, do u measure out the food u give in the catuary or is it a free for all? Im just not sure how people with multiple pets can measure out food? Unless they feed seperately? My cats especially are grazers..they dont eat in one sitting
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:26 PM
Senior Contributor

awww Peaches is so pewny! He's only 2.45 kg! I feed him 1/3 of a can of Wellness a day and free-feed dry
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

wow he is teeny tiny! I thought Bunduk was teeny....but Bunduk is weird he's just loooong and skinny. Onnie can only fit his head through the banisters but bunduk can walk right thru without any squeezation (much to my dismay nooooo bundukdont jumpppp *splat*)...he's like the tall skinny dude ....Peaches never seemed overly skinny to me..so im guessing he's just small?

Im a little worried though that theyll get fat now with what used to work before catnap cuz I dont know if its just me but they seem way lazier now. Bunduk only follows me around sometimes (as opposed to running after me everywhere) and I guess they learned to be better friends and havent chased eachother around or had zoomies since we got them back home. They just sleep a lot more. Its a bit strange.

*off topic but catnap told me that bunduk has the most stinky poop ever (i already knew this)....and they said the higher quality the food the more stinky...i thought it was supposed to be the opposite?*
Old August 27th, 2008, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

yeah he's tiny - super skinny when I first started fostering him...then gradually gained weight and then when I got back from texas after my mom had him he'd filled out quite a bit!

maybe you need another kitty to keep them going

that's interesting about the poop...peaches' is pretty stinky too!
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

lol Meg if u knew how drugged up I was now u would not be suggesting i got another cat

The ENT in egypt who I saw for my ear infection looked up my nose (lol hey thats what he did haha) and immediately said I had allergic rhinitis..even tho I didnt have any allergy symptoms at all/felt normal..but I guess my normal is messed up. he said my breathing is pretty bad and gave me this cortisone nasal spray and some other sea salt nasal spray and some syrup thing to drink 3 times a day thats anti allergenic/inflammatory plus my zyrtec PLUS my symbicort (inhaler)...... that and im still taking 500mg antibiotics for my ear and eye drops in my ear (lol that confused me)...im every naturopaths walking nightmare!!
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

yikes, that does not sound fun at all!! Weren't you jsut sick before you left?

14+ get on here an post some kitten pics while onster's vulnerable!!
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

yep. I have the immune system from hell. Or lack one entirely..it probably doesnt help that I always fight stuff with medicine but I just cant afford to miss school

I knew my nose was messed up and I cant really breathe deeply/always sound nasal ..my gramma who visited last yr said I snored but my fam doc always said I was fine..apparently though the weird feeling ive been getting in my ear for a while (never enough to see a doc)..kind of like it was stuffed or something was because of the pressure from my nonfunctional nose...that also put me at increased risk for an ear infection from la piscine...who woulda thunk it?? .

And that my friends has got to win me the award for awesomest hijacker of her own threads ever
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:28 PM
Senior Contributor

My dad has a really poor immune system from his epilepsy. Justin's was down too because of stress from school and work, and a cold and he ended up getting shingles ...he's been battling it for just over a month now
Old August 27th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Senior Contributor

yikes ..thats not pleasant :sad:

and for all us ones. (no i did not seek professional help for my smilie addiction while on holiday..ill still use em every chance I get ....muahahahaha)
Old August 27th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Kitty pimp

sleeping is ok rmeber they are home and they know they dont have to "kkep one eye open?
Old August 27th, 2008, 10:38 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by onster View Post
Oh and Onnie lost a little bit of weight according to catnap and Bunduk stayed the same---however Bunduk grew longer in my opinion so I expected him to gainmore weight as he is a skinny dude (u can feel all his ribs under the floof).

14+, do u measure out the food u give in the catuary or is it a free for all? Im just not sure how people with multiple pets can measure out food? Unless they feed seperately? My cats especially are grazers..they dont eat in one sitting
onster - there is no way I would be able to measure out food with 16 kitties in there. Minimo I feed by herself because she is still not crazy about the others. She gets canned plus a little dry in her crate. But I am finding that once she leaves the crate to explore that the others are sneaking in and stealing her food.

I have had pictures on here before of feeding time at the zoo. Basically I open 5 or 6 cans of food and put them on saucers or in bowls and they all gather round. Some don't eat right away but the ones that do leave some for the others. I leave dry down for grazers. Unfortunately that is one of the downfalls of that many kitties. There is not much choice in leaving down food. They all have different schedules to eat. When they get their raw treats then they all eat at once. No leftovers. It's usually gone before I leave the catuary.