Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Canine SIBO

A co-worker's dog has been diagnosed with SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth). The problem is idiopathic for her dog (responds to antibiotics).

I did some research for her, and this is a condition where the small intestine has way too many bad bacteria, which in turn damages the ability to absorb nutrients from the food. It can be caused by an autoimmune problem or start as a malabsorption problem and is similar to Celiac's disease and IBS. Apparently certain carbs encourage the bacterial growth but the vet prescribed food for this condition is full of corn. That just doesn't make sense to me. I did find a forum on SIBO where people were talking about how the only way they could control the symptoms was to feed either this vet prescribed food, or one similar to it - even though a carb was the main ingredient.

Does anyone have any experience with this condition?
Old July 19th, 2013, 03:27 AM

cat had sibo.

my 18 yr old cat had sibo..I took it two different vets she had bad thyroid and sibo- gave her watery diarrhea of puddles six times a day..vet gave her probiotics and that was all. they didnt treat the thyroid or didn't give her any kind medine for sibo.she died on my couch..i found better vet later on,which I needed before she died.i start to do some studying on it sometimes,it could be too much bad bacterial not enough good bacterial maybe like an yeast..
Old July 20th, 2013, 03:53 AM

cat has sibo

enzymes and probiotics could help sibo for pets..that the pancrease. .or liver could be little infected..or could be a parasite.something that would cause over growth of bacterial.by time I found this out.it was too late my 18 yr cat she died..hospital didn't do much,by time I found better vet she was gone..i miss her everday.
Old July 21st, 2013, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

I am very sorry to hear about your kitty