Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old January 25th, 2011, 10:32 PM

Question Help! Kitten is losing hair!

Hi,
I adopted a kitten a week ago. He had ringworm as a baby, but the shelter told me that the ringworm was completely gone. Today I was petting him and noticed that he had a crusty scab on his head. When I pulled his fur apart to investigate further, the scab fell off, taking fur with it and revealing a bald patch. I continued to feel around, and noticed 3 or 4 more scabs just like the first one.

Could it just be a residual consequence from his ringworm? Or is he having a relapse? I don't have any other pets, but if he is having a relapse what should I do (besides take him to the vet and get meds) to protect myself from infection?

Thanks for reading!
Old January 25th, 2011, 11:00 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

The best thing you can do is to get him to your vet asap. If he does have ringworm he needs to be treated for it. Please let them know what you may suspect before bringing him in as they will have to take steps to ensure it does not get passed on to other patients.

Here's some measures you can take to help protect yourself. Good luck and let us know.
http://www.dermstore.com/articles/article_10.htm

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 26th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

If a cat or kitten has ringworm then they do not necessarily get over it quickly. The stress of relocating to a new home is enough to trigger a relapse. As you mentioned, best thing is to take the kitten to the vet.

For yourself, you are either going to get it or not. I have been exposed on multiple occasions yet never had it while I know others who get it every time they come in contact. So some people are susceptible and some aren't. If you notice spots appearing like little ovals then you have developed it. It can appear over a week after exposure. Should it appear then the best bet is to see your family doctor for an ointment and cover the area with a bandaid so that it does not spread when you are wearing clothing that can rub it.
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:14 PM

Ok.... so my little kitten has ringworm. Yikes! I spent the day cleaning the entire apartment with bleach solutions. Vet gave me miconosol cream to use daily and an anti-fungal shampoo to use once a week. I still have no symptoms, and its been a week, so hopefully I'm good. Everything is under control, but the thing that is breaking my heart is that my little baby is crying non-stop locked in the bathroom! The vet told me to keep him in there until the ringworm is gone. I got him blankets and a night light, but I feel so bad for my munchkin! He's used to cuddling up to me in bed. Poor thing! Do you have any advice on how to keep him happy while he's in solitary confinement?

On the bright side, my apartment has never been cleaner.
Old January 26th, 2011, 10:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Would seem he has to be in a small room for quite some time. Does he have cheap toys, a window to see out of, a scratching post, etc so he isn't completely bored? Everything has to be cleaned meticulously all the time of course and/or thrown out but at least a few toys would help his boredom.

Do you go in to play with him? Is there any way you could find some paper scrubs like a doctor uses and rubber gloves? That way you could spend a little time with him playing and socializing. I feel bad for the little one.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 26th, 2011, 11:22 PM

I've been in there playing with him all night..... before his ringworm anti-fungal bath which he did NOT enjoy. The vet said that if I haven't already gotten ringworm, then i probably won't. I guess some people have a resistance to it. Either way, I am being very careful, washing my hands thoroughly and making sure my clothes go straight into the wash after kitten play time. He has toys and a scratching post.... I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the ringworm clears up quick so he can have his life back!! Hopefully soon I'll be able to report a full recovery!
Old January 27th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Perhaps if you could borrow a large dog crate from someone then the kitten could be in an area that it could see everything going on and not feel so closed in?
Old February 27th, 2011, 12:33 AM

Talking

After a month, the kitten's ringworm symptoms are gone! Still going to treat the little guy for another month or so, but his hair is growing back, and I never developed symptoms. The vet says that the baby is RW free, but I need to continue the anti-fungal bathes for a while to prevent a relapse. Thanks everyone for your advice! So grateful to have a happy, healthy kitten!
Old February 27th, 2011, 07:58 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for updating us and so glad he is free and clear of ringworm.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Tags
hair loss, kitten, ringworm