Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 11th, 2004, 08:58 PM

Question about dog temperments?

I was wondering what happens if you breed a very level, easy going, loves every dog and human, female....to a male that has been kenneled his whole life, no socialization, afraid of men, but likes his new master. He is a cream poodle and is young enough that he could change.

Would he be a bad candiadate to breed to? How much does current temperment play on results of a litter. He could have been a completely different dog if he was given a proper start in life. He is not my dog.

He is healthy, she is healthy...is this what is important?
Old October 11th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Love all creatures

Daisie..absolutely not..the only reason anybody should be breeding dogs is for the betterment of the breed in general..
these are some of the questions you need to ask yourself...amongst MANY MANY others:

Temperament of both the dogs, are they tested? (you have obviously stated that one of the dogs was kenneled its whole life, is afraid of men, etc? Why was this dog kenneled for the entire time in the first place? I think that is terrible to begin with and would personally consider it a form of abuse and neglect!)

Are both dogs completely health tested? Do they both have health records? Do you have records of their parents, and their parents parents?

Have both dogs competed and WON titles in shows?

Ohh geez I don't know where to begin...there's contracts, home screenings...what will you do if someone doesn't WANT to keep one of the puppies they buy; wants to return the dog a year later...will you be willing to take it back without any delays?

If you're asking yourself questions that you cannot answer, then I would definately spay/neuter both dogs and keep it that way...there is no need to be breeding unless you really know what you are doing...plus, there's a very poorly socialized dog that you have on your hands..that poor animal should probably be taken care of right now.

I don't want to come off as being rude, I just care too much about dogs to see them being "backyard" bred...I thank you for asking, as this shows that you at least care enough to come in here and get some advice..but I would really ADVIZE you not to breed dogs...for the dog's sake and yours. Please...
Old October 12th, 2004, 07:51 AM

Yes, and No. I am no expert at all with breeding, but from what i have read, reputable breeders do not match dogs together based on the sire and bitches temperament alone, this includes their health testing as well, which is just as important. If say, a few generations back, a dog had HD, or a bad temperament, this could show up in any future litter, so breeders are very careful who they chose to breed with. This is all done for the dogs sake, responsible breeders make sure only to produce sound, healthy dogs, so they must do all their research first before breeding.

There are many links on this board regarding responsible ethical breeding, have a look around