Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 24th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Senior Contributor

My daugther's cat is very ill and losing weight . :(

My daughter's cat is sick ,he been vomiting and having occasional diarrhea and lost a lot of weight . He went to the vet and she ruled out parasites, diabetes, and thyroid issues . The cat had special food and antacids and he still not getting better . The vet suggested a surgical biopsy b/c she think the cat has an intestinal inflammation condition . My daughter and husband can't afford the surgical biopsy it could cost 2,500-4,000. The cat had blood work but I am not what kind of tests he had. My daughter is going to try steroids and meds and special food and see if that help .
Has anyone had a cat that had an intestinal inflammation condition and how did you treat your cat. I think it's horrible that vet care cost so much money.
Old March 24th, 2015, 07:01 AM
Senior Contributor

No. But, did the VEt happen to say the word Lymphangiectasia? My dog has this. His small intestine is inflammed and his lymph ducts in that area are blocked and plugged. It's a very long story for us so the short version that might help your daughter is that the intestinal scoping can be done by endoscopy, it does not have to be surgery. At least with my dog. Maybe cats are too small.

My dog did not get better on western meds the first time around either. We went to a Holistic Vet who put him on a home cooked diet of a novel protein and a novel filler, turkey and sweet potato for us, and TCM. He got better quickly but now he has had a relapse but is getting better again.

I'm trying to keep this short, feel free to ask back, I'll tell you whatever I know from my dog in case it helps.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

The vet this could turn into lymphoma , I am not sure what kind of food the vet is telling my daughter to use , It most likely is Hill pet food which I think is junk. Thank you I will pass this onto my daughter .
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

One of my co-worker's cats had these symptoms and after the bloodwork ruled out everything else the vet thought it was cancer and indeed that's what it turned out to be. I'm sorry your sister is going through this.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 24th, 2015, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
One of my co-worker's cats had these symptoms and after the bloodwork ruled out everything else the vet thought it was cancer and indeed that's what it turned out to be. I'm sorry your sister is going through this.
No OH ! This is my daughter's cat , they got a cat after they had to put their dog down . I really feel vets should not charge so much money , this keep people from recusing pets from kill shelters .
Old March 24th, 2015, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I really feel vets should not charge so much money , this keep people from recusing pets from kill shelters .
I disagree. Most people understand that with responsible pet ownership comes vet costs. Some vets are more expensive than others - and sometimes that goes hand in hand with the quality of care involved (and sometimes not). Sometimes I don't like the bill I walk out with after visiting the vet with one of my pets, but I also know that they are getting great care from a qualified individual - I wouldn't expect it to be cheap (after all, they went to university for years to get their qualifications) - they need to earn a living too.

In any case, I hope your daughter finds a solution for her cat.
Old March 24th, 2015, 11:01 PM
Senior Contributor

I disagree , some people do not realize vets bill can cost a lot or even realize their pet need to go to a vet . Look at the people that come here asking if they should be worried about their pet needing to go to the vet.
Old March 25th, 2015, 07:01 AM

Quote:
I disagree , some people do not realize vets bill can cost a lot or even realize their pet need to go to a vet . Look at the people that come here asking if they should be worried about their pet needing to go to the vet.
I said 'most' people - not all

Pet ownership is about a lot of research and knowing what you're getting yourself into. The unexpected happens and you can't always plan for the worst, but you should always have some kind of plan in the back of your mind just in case it does.

It's a terribly sad thing for both pet owner and the vet, when a pet is sick and treatment cannot be afforded

Again, my best to your daughter and her cat.
Old March 25th, 2015, 11:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
No OH ! This is my daughter's cat , they got a cat after they had to put their dog down . I really feel vets should not charge so much money , this keep people from recusing pets from kill shelters .
My apologies.

I agree vet bills have gotten more expensive. My vet charges have gone up much higher rate than my salary (and I work gov't so I get half decent raises), but we are also doing more tests which will drive up the costs. Ultra sounds and biopsies were pretty much unheard of in the average vet office 20 years ago. Cats/dogs would be simply PTS when they became ill.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey