Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 10th, 2014, 05:17 PM

Hairballs

Hi again pet experts, Today Sammy coughed up a hairball for the first time and he struggled quite a bit. should I be concerned and is there something I can give to Prevent this in the future?

Thank you from me and Sammy
Old July 10th, 2014, 07:24 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.sheknows.com/pets-and-ani...at-hairballs-1

Brush your cat fur everyday that will help a lot.
Old July 10th, 2014, 09:18 PM

If you find out what to do to stop it, let me know. Out of seven,at least one of mine is guaranteed to puke at least once a day, and never on the tile, only rugs. When I shopped for new rugs I told the salesman when he asked me what color I wanted that the color had to match cat puke. He laughed, but I was serious.
Old July 11th, 2014, 11:09 AM

That's really funny lindapalm I am till laughing. Thank you barkingdog for that link. I love all the information I get from this website.

Thank you from me and Sammy
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindapalm View Post
If you find out what to do to stop it, let me know. Out of seven,at least one of mine is guaranteed to puke at least once a day, and never on the tile, only rugs. When I shopped for new rugs I told the salesman when he asked me what color I wanted that the color had to match cat puke. He laughed, but I was serious.
I took Marty to the vet b/c he vomiting and not feeling good. My vet was telling me he was talking to another vet about how easy it was to get dogs to vomit but not cats . The second vet said if he brought a new oriental
rug home his cat would vomit on it. Marty vomited on my new W/W carpet
and not the kitchen's floor.

normad , I am glad the link was helpful to you.
Old July 11th, 2014, 04:08 PM

Barkingdog, that second vet knows his cats, and is funny.If my cats are standing in the kitchen on tile, when they start hacking they will move just a few inches so that it will land in the living room, on the rug. Every lousy time.
Old July 11th, 2014, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Barkingdog, that second vet knows his cats, and is funny.If my cats are standing in the kitchen on tile, when they start hacking they will move just a few inches so that it will land in the living room, on the rug. Every lousy time.
I am so sorry but I had to LOL while reading this. What is it with pets that they have to vomit on the rug and not the kitchen floor . It's so frustrating .
Old July 11th, 2014, 08:33 PM

I have no idea why they have to do it on a rug, maybe they like hearing swear words? I think I've actually made up a few new ones over the years.
Old July 11th, 2014, 10:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have no idea why they have to do it on a rug, maybe they like hearing swear words? I think I've actually made up a few new ones over the years.
LOL! That is very funny! You might be right , maybe cats like to see how pissed off they can made us.
Old July 28th, 2014, 03:08 PM

Thank you from me and Sammy for the good information!
Old July 28th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I gave my dog a blueberry and put it on the kitchen floor for him guess where he wanted to eat it ? YUP , on my new W/W carpet. I put it put on the kitchen floor 3 times and finally took the berry away from him as he kept putting it on my carpet. I really think dogs & cats know how to push our buttons , they're are masters at it.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:47 PM

We have an old dog that doesn't always want to eat, buy if we put her bowl in the living room, on the new wall to wall carpet, with us sitting there watching tv, she'll eat the food . I wouldn't even let my kids eat in the living room when they were young, but she gets away with it.
Old July 28th, 2014, 07:56 PM

I use a malt flavoured hairball paste that comes in a tube similar to a toothpaste tube. You let your cat lick about a half inch from the tube once a week and the hairballs just pass through in the stool. You'll find it at most pet stores. Good luck
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I can vouch for the malty hairball paste stuff as well - it used to work well with one of my hairbally cats.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 29th, 2014, 03:20 PM

Can you buy the paste in a pet store, or do you have to get it from a vet? I think the problem with two of my cats, the ones that puke, is that they have no teeth, and eat too fast, which is why it comes back up undigested. I'm willing to try the hairball paste though, cause you never know.
Old July 29th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Can you buy the paste in a pet store, or do you have to get it from a vet? I think the problem with two of my cats, the ones that puke, is that they have no teeth, and eat too fast, which is why it comes back up undigested. I'm willing to try the hairball paste though, cause you never know.
I looked on line and see that Petco sell it .
Old July 29th, 2014, 08:28 PM

Gee sorry to hear that Lindapalm. I'm not sure this would help with that particular problem but like you said it might be worth a try. My understanding is the product coats the hairball stuck within the stomach and helps it move on out so to speak
I purchased this one at Pet Valu but I'm sure I've seen it in other pet stores. Good luck!
Attached Images

Old July 29th, 2014, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think the problem with two of my cats, the ones that puke, is that they have no teeth, and eat too fast, which is why it comes back up undigested.
Sounds more like a "scarf-n-barf" issue than a hairball one. Can you try spreading the food around on a large plate so they can't eat so fast? Also, sometimes giving them an appetizer of just a tablespoon of food and then waiting for 10 or so minutes before giving them the rest will take the edge off their appetite. Smaller, more frequent meals can also help. If they eat dry food, one of those food/treat dispenser type toys slow down fast eaters: http://www.amazon.ca/Catit-Design-Se.../dp/B004G9L1H2

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 29th, 2014, 10:10 PM

Lynne&Co. and Barkingdog, thanks, we have a small pet store in our town, I'm going to check it out to see if they sell the malt flavored hairball treatment. Can't hurt. I do see hairballs occasionally when they throw up, but also undigested food, so it could be either.
Sugarcatmom, because of the no teeth issue they get canned food, probably 4 times a day, which they throw up at least 3 times a week. They also have access to my other cats dry food, I wish they didn't. I spread the food out on a cookie sheet hoping they wouldn't eat so fast. It didn't help. I think a lot of the problem is the fact that they aren't chewing the food and its going down whole and upsetting the stomach. I think I'm going to try the hairball med, and give them smaller amounts of the canned food, I usually let them eat till they stop and that maybe is too much?
Old July 30th, 2014, 08:26 AM

What a great resource this forum is thank you for the additional posts Sammy and me really appreciate it.

Thank you again from me and Sammy!