Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 10th, 2012, 05:53 PM

Female GermanShepherd: problem with people coming to the house...

Hello,

I have a 5 yo German Shepherd who is really territorial, and whenever someone come to the house, the first reaction is some barking (before even knowing who it is), then if is someone that she knows well it is all happiness, BUT when it is someone who she never see before, or it's been long since she last saw him/her, she gets agressive, barking a lot, and like "going over the one who is entering" (never bite anyone, it's more like a threat), but, if the person likes dogs or is not afraid and let her smell him/her, then she calms down and "let him/her come inside"... but when someone don't like dogs, or is frighten by the "welcome" she keeps barking at him/her for long time in a threatening way.

I train her in many aspects/things, and she is in the "overall" a good behaviored dog, but this behaviour is killing me, because I can't even bring people to my house...

Is there a way I can teach her to behave or teach her that when I kiss/handshake the other person, "is because is a friend"...? Any tips or advice?

Thanks a lot.

(sorry for my non native English)
Old December 10th, 2012, 06:50 PM

I would train your dog that when people come to your house, she is to wait on her bed, or other designated place until you allow her to come greet them. I'd also suggest that all your visitors have high valued treats to give to the dogs so they make a more positive association.
Old December 10th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
I would train your dog that when people come to your house, she is to wait on her bed, or other designated place until you allow her to come greet them. I'd also suggest that all your visitors have high valued treats to give to the dogs so they make a more positive association.
The OP could have a box of treats that can be given to her guests ,but the dog should not get a treat if she is barking . That would only teach her is OK to bark at people.
Old December 10th, 2012, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
The OP could have a box of treats that can be given to her guests ,but the dog should not get a treat if she is barking . That would only teach her is OK to bark at people.
Agreed. I didn't realize it came across that way, but yes, the treats should only be given once the dog has stopped barking and is calm.
Old December 11th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Live well, laugh often

Do you crate your dog? I would crate her before having people in. That sometimes is the easiest because then you have already welcomed the person into the home and taken that chore away from your dog. If she is still strange then I would have the person sit next to the crate (not crowding or facing the dog) and drop treats inside.

If your dog has a good "stay on bed" then I would use that as your next step. Have the dog stay on the bed with the other person in the room and just click and throw treats for good calm behavior.

Teaching a go touch command can also be useful. Start with a good hand touch yourself and then gradually work up to clicking and treating for touching good friends on command and then you should be able to transfer that behaviour to people she doesn't know well.