Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 5th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Senior Contributor

pup sleeping

when can a pup realistically go 7 hours in the night without having to wake us up to pee?

I know its still too early for sammy, but my husband asked me last night how long we get up with the pup and I had no clue. Figured Id ask here

and for when I do decide i want him to go longer at night, right now he goes 4 hours how do i do it? just move his midnight walk closer to his morning walk gradually till he cuts out the midnight walk?

Eleni
"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Senior Contributor

BTW yaya for sammy, NO accidents at all yesturday

"I used to look at [my dog] Smokey and think, 'If you were a little smarter you could tell me what you were thinking,' and he'd look at me like he was saying, 'If you were a little smarter, I wouldn't have to.'" - Fred Jungclaus
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:55 AM
banned user

So when you say walk, you actually walk him in the middle of the night? If that's the case I would make it only out to pee and back in, he may just be wanting to go for a walk and play... I wouldn't get him in the habit of doing that late at night or in the overnight.

I don't really know how old a pup has to be before holding it all night though.
You may want to say how old he is so when other posters read they can help you better!

Btw, congrats on the no accidents... don't jinx it! :love:
Old April 5th, 2005, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

no he doesnt actually go for a walk, we go stand out fron of the buildign he does his business then drags me back inside, hes and all business kinda boy at night thankfully

he is jsut over 4 months old

Eleni
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Performance Spaniels

At 4 months we were putting Cider to bed at 11, and she was waking us up at 6am to pee - we'd let her go pee and we all went back to bed for a few more hours.
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

Spencer as well is just over 4 months old (born Nov 21, 04). He can usually make it from about 11:00pm to 6:00am. If we happen to go to bed earlier than that, then I am usually up at around 3:00am. I don't know if Spencer really has to go to the bathroom at that time but he wakes up, scratches (I hear the tags), then he gets restless. He just tosses and turns but doesn't ask to go out.

I have just learned that when the scratching starts, take him outside or I won't get any sleep. He goes out, does his business and comes right back in, gets his treat, and I carry him back up to bed. He will sleep the rest of the night after that. I usually have to then drag him out of bed in the morning when I am getting ready for work.

As for an actual age, I'm not too sure. They usually say that they can hold it for their age plus 1 in hours when they are puppies. So in Spencer's case, I guess I could expect 5.5 hours.
Old April 5th, 2005, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

our nights generally go like this.

my husband walks sammy at 10 when im feeding the baby and getting Him to bed.

then we all go to bed, then usually around 2 am Sam whimpers to go outside, we take him out he goes and back to bed we all go, 5 am my husband takes him out before getting ready for work.

so he seems on par for his age to me

however im looking forward to the ngiht sam decideds he can wait till morning for his pee LOL

Eleni
Old April 5th, 2005, 08:55 AM

My pup was like many of the others, he slept from around 10pm to 6am. He whined, I took him out, then we both went back to sleep for a few hours. He never needed a break in the middle of the night however.

It depends lots on the individual dog, but do you remove his water dish after supper? Keeping his evening water intake lower really does help.

And there will come relief eventually My dog is now 9 months and will hold it however long he has to over the night. I had dispared he'd never stop tinkling when excited, but that eventually went away too. I guess they all grow up eventually, enjoy his puppyness while you can