Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 8th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Pet boarding or brother?

I'm in a bit of a dilema. I've never gone away for any long period of time since I got Vlad and Oksana. Now I have Kiska and Maks, going away is harder.

My best friend is planning on going to spend Thanksgiving with her mother for the first time in years, where she lives in St. Petersburg Florida. I used to work for her mom, so she asked me to come along, and we'd all be staying at a Bed & Breakfast. Her mom even offered to pay for my room, which is very nice of her.

I'd love to go away for a few days. I haven't had a real vacation in, well I can't remember when.

But I'm terribly worried about what to do with the Fantastic Four.

My brother said he'd come over and feed them, I said twice a day, but I get the feeling he'd only come once a day, and he wouldn't spend any time playing or petting them. I'd be leaving them home in my apartment for 3 nights and 4 days. We'd leave Thursday morning and come back Sunday afternoon. I don't know how they would react being left alone for so long, and I just don't know if I can trust my brother to come over daily.

I considered leaving them at the vet for boarding. I would be able to have Vlad and Oksana in one large cage, and Kiska and Maks in another. They would be fed twice a day as their usual, and there would be someone there 24 hours a day, and they would be played with. This would cost me $352.00.

I've also put a call in to a cat boarding place called A Country Cat House, here's the link: http://www.acountrycathouse.com/

It looks like a nice place, but there isn't anyone there 24 hours, and I don't know what the rates are yet.

I'm confused about what to do.

I know that they would be better off in their own home, but they'll be alone for 4 days except for the 5 or 10 minutes my brother comes over to feed them. I'd be afraid of them getting into something out of total boredom and loneliness in seeing I'm not there, and possibly hurt themselves.

I don't know anyone else that can actually stay and be with them, which would be idea, to have someone just stay over my place.

I'm to the point where i don't even know if I should go. The safest option seems to be just boarding them with my vet, but would they be happy?

I wish I could just take them with me:sad:
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

What about hiring a pet sitter? It would be cheaper than boarding, they would spend more time with your kitties, and the kitties get to stay in the comfort of their own home.

http://www.petsit.com/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Ancientgirl! I have had the same problem before with my pets...I went skiing for a week...rented a chalet...and it was pet friendly so we took our dog...The cats stayed home for the week....

I had a friend come over 1 every couple of days to look in on them and give them fresh food and water and of course clean the litter box...I didnt want to leave the litterbox for more than 2 days! It worked out great...they stayed in their own home...They were a little annoyed when we returned but they got over it really quickly.

The next time I went skiing I started to feel bad for leaving them for the whole week again so this time I took them to my moms home for that week....They were tramatized! pissed off, hid for a couple of days, hardly ate a thing..When I returned to pick them up and bring them home they would not come near me for days...I really think that because I took them to my moms they thought I abandoned them....So if you ask me dont worry for the short period of time you will be away and if your bro comes in to help each day that is great! They will not be lonely or bored! After all they are the Fantastic Four...so lots of company...

I would never take mine to a kennell or anything just for the simple fact they dont know why they are left there and I would be worried they would pick up something....

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old November 8th, 2007, 12:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
What about hiring a pet sitter? It would be cheaper than boarding, they would spend more time with your kitties, and the kitties get to stay in the comfort of their own home.

http://www.petsit.com/
Thanks for that link. I'm going to give them a call. They seem to have some people in my location.

I just don't want to burden my brother. As it is, when I told him to feed them twice a day, at the end of our conversation he said he'd come over once a day. Gah! NOOOOOOO that's not what I said!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 8th, 2007, 01:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Ancientgirl! I have had the same problem before with my pets...I went skiing for a week...rented a chalet...and it was pet friendly so we took our dog...The cats stayed home for the week....

I had a friend come over 1 every couple of days to look in on them and give them fresh food and water and of course clean the litter box...I didnt want to leave the litterbox for more than 2 days! It worked out great...they stayed in their own home...They were a little annoyed when we returned but they got over it really quickly.

The next time I went skiing I started to feel bad for leaving them for the whole week again so this time I took them to my moms home for that week....They were tramatized! pissed off, hid for a couple of days, hardly ate a thing..When I returned to pick them up and bring them home they would not come near me for days...I really think that because I took them to my moms they thought I abandoned them....So if you ask me dont worry for the short period of time you will be away and if your bro comes in to help each day that is great! They will not be lonely or bored! After all they are the Fantastic Four...so lots of company...

I would never take mine to a kennell or anything just for the simple fact they dont know why they are left there and I would be worried they would pick up something....

Cindy
My big worry about the boarding, isn't they'd come back with something. I've left Vlad and Oksana over night at my vet's and they always have an exam with they are released, to make sure they're okay. My worry is the small confined space. At least at home, I know they'd be happy and have lots of room.

Old November 8th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Will they eat all the food you leave down for them at one time? I used to go to the cottage the odd weekend and my 2 cats at the time I left at home. They would eat moist food up as soon as it was put down, but dry food they would only eat if they were hungry, so I would leave 2 big bowls full of dry food and 4 or 5 bowls of water. I had no one that could come in and check on them and someone new would never have seen them, they would have hidden from them.

Cindy
Old November 8th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

They graze on the dry so that wouldn't be an issue. I just couldn't leave them alone with nobody coming at least once or twice a day to play with them.

Now I'm wondering how they'd do with a stranger coming over. At least they know my brother.

Maybe I just should talk to him a bit more about it.

Old November 8th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Yahoooooooo problem solved!

One of my best friends suggested a friend we go to the movies with. She lives in a studio and is looking for some extra cash, and said she'd love to sit for my cats.

I called her and we talked. I told her I would pay her what I was going to pay my brother, $100. I'll stock the fridge with food, and she can watch all the On Demand movies she wants.

She said she'd stay overnight, she'd feed them and play with them, and she'd probably be around a bit since she doesn't have plans that weekend.

I'm so happy. I like this person and she's very trustworthy and an animal lover. I feel so good now, knowing my babies won't be alone.

She's coming over this weekend to meet the Fantastic Four.

Yay!

Old November 8th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great ancientgirl!!
Old November 8th, 2007, 05:50 PM
-

Glad your problem is solved....we love happy endings.
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Awesome!! That's the ideal solution. Whenever I go away, my MIL stays at my house with Aztec. They both adore each other and it's like a little vacation for them as well. What's even better is that my house is spotless when I get back!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Swift Tribe

yep, best deal! i wouldnt have worried so much about having your brother come over... even if it was once a day. i would worry far far more about them not being able to run around and play, sleep, bask.... you know, kind of like no heat lamp in a lizards cage?? didnt you know cats have a delicate body temperature that needs to be regulated by regular sun exposure?? *snort*

as is, a babysitter is the best thing ever!! (i know id love to cat sit for $100 and all i can eat fridge!!)

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old November 8th, 2007, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

It couldn't have worked out better! And on Saturday I'm going to tour the kitty cottages. That'll be another alternative to have as well. I'm very relieved.