Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures > Photography tips - photography gear

Old May 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Remembering Lukka

Adjusting Colour

You can see a green tinge around Lukka's face on this photo. I don't know how to adjust the camera to eliminate that and make my colours appear as they should. Any idea's?

Old May 15th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

That green tinge looks like it's a reflection off the grass. Unless you're eye is real good - there is no way your eye would have caught that.

The camera can't 'know' what to include or eliminate - it does the best it can by automatically averaging out every scene it records unless you dial in (camara permitting) a manual setting yourself.

For this green tinge problem, the easiest solution is to use a graphics program to reduce the green cast.

Hope that helped,

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukka'sma View Post
You can see a green tinge around Lukka's face on this photo. I don't know how to adjust the camera to eliminate that and make my colours appear as they should. Any idea's?

The Nikon D80 has an interesting tool allowing you to adjust the colour warmth of the image . . .. you could eliminate green, real or imagined, so, I would assume other, higher-end camera's might have that feature as well.

Failing that, as marko said . . . .

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:41 PM

If I was printing it, I'd add magenta...

This is the test camera? Maybe the sensors just aren't sensitive enough.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:44 PM
cat slave

you can't adjust the camera. Some cameras are just set up to be more green or more yellow. PIxels also have something to do with that. But no matter the camera, we ALL readjust our photos after we take them. Different monitors, different camera settings, different monitor resolution at the photo store.

If you print your photos at the store, guaranteed they won't come out the same color range as your monitor.
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiorji View Post
But no matter the camera, we ALL readjust our photos after we take them. Different monitors, different camera settings, different monitor resolution at the photo store.
hehe, I don't... It's pretty rare that mine need fixing, other than a bit of lightening sometimes. Some cameras just get the colors right. (That's one of the main reasons I love Canon).

I remember developing somebody's film where the white on their springer spaniel was green. Sucks really because then you become dependent on printers knowing what they're doing or with digital, you have to go through and adjust every pic...

You definitely don't want your doggy blending in with the background....

This one is with the rebel...
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:01 PM
cat slave

well i disagree because at times, for example when shooting indoors there's that yellow light that your eye doesn't see as obviously as the camera, then you shoot and things are suddenly more yellow...or neon lights..those give green. Or reflections off objects ....or shooting in shade...those give you blue tints for sure

btu i don't think there's anything with Lukka's picture anyways.
Old May 15th, 2007, 08:37 PM
Papa D

first calibrate your monitor.....use adobe.....after that i would try auto color adjust.....if your still not happy play with the levels option in your software program that you edit with.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 15th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Papa D

prin on my monitor there are to vertical green lines(did you remove some grass )one is just behind the eye and the other is just before the ear.....maybe time to calibrate your monitor
Attached Images

Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old May 16th, 2007, 10:29 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

There are a lot of variables to getting correct colour in modern digital photography. Some of the variables have to do with the camera some don't.

Monitor calibaration for example. Pictures will almost always look better on the monitor because of the inherent differences between projected and reflected images.

Although Canons are good, there is NO camera that gets it right all the time and there will probably never be one. Take a picture on an automatic setting with 10,000 dollar camera or a 1000 dollar camera or a 100 camera of a human subject under flouroscent light. The uncorrected result will be an image with a strong green cast. Why?... because fluoroscent light is greenish. Our eyes compensate for the green cast so WE don't see it. The camera sees it though....and UNLESS you tell the camera (by use of a filter on the lens during exposure - or a setting (like a warming as mentioned by RickC) within the camera menu or by adjusting the camera's white balance the result will have a greenish cast. This is because cameras do not have brains, they average out the tones in a scene to acheive an average - the camera does not know if the shot was taken under fluoroscent light, window light, street light, light at sunrise, light at sunset etc. All these different light sources have different colour temperatures and produce different clour casts.

This is where graphics programs and good photo labs come in handy - they can reduce or eliminate the casts that we did not notice during exposure.

The best way to have colours appear as they should is to tell the camera (if your camera has such a setting) BEFORE shooting if the light source is unusual. Most cameras are balanced for daylight - so anything other than average daylight can produce a cast.

Hope that helped.

thx
Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old December 13th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Pet Photographer

figured it ou?

the get tone to me means that exposure is off. Try bracketing exposures or if you have photoshop, make a minor levels adjustment.