Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Bladder stones

I guess I did the right thing agreeing to an x ray today seeing the antibiotics were doing nothing for Silk's 'cystitis'. Even though I suspected stones(or a tumour) it is a little bit of a shock when you see the size of some stones poor dogs have. She has two decent sized stones so is booked in for an operation on Tuesday. In the photo her hind legs are to the right . I think she needs some prayers, she's an old girl now. Of course there goes the money I planned to spend on my next ACD pup but my oldies always have to come first. We adore Silk, always have, always will.
Attached Images

Old August 11th, 2011, 10:56 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Sending prayers your way GF
Old August 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks GG. Wish I could turn the clock forward 3 weeks.
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

GF, you and your girl have my thoughts and prayers
I was a neurotic mess last year when Thorin had stones removed, so I understand how you're feeling . His were huge as well, and very jagged

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 11th, 2011, 01:12 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, ouch! Sending for a successful surgery, a quick recovery and no recurrence!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 11th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

best of luck for beautiful Silk
Old August 11th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Robyn, I'd be a tiny , tiny bit (only) less concerned if Silk was Thorin's size but she's my smallest finest sheltie. Still, what can you do? You must operate. Toby's stones were jagged too, but not big. I'm hoping that Silk's are the same type as his so they can share the same UD diet , I know she'll love his diet, every dog on the place wants to steal it from Toby. LOL. Thanks for the kind thoughts everyone.
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:25 PM

Good luck with the surgery, and don't forget, shelties are tough, even the small ones!
Old August 12th, 2011, 03:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess she's tough in that she hasn't let on how lousy she must feel. I am more concerned that we'll have a blockage and inability to urinate before she can get onto the table. More so of a worry with the weekend coming up. I'm welcoming the sight of every single puddle she does. The weird thing is that those stones are shedding next to no crystals.
Old August 12th, 2011, 11:01 PM

for an uncomplicated surgery & speedy healing

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 13th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks, Tuesday can't come quick enough, growler.
Old August 15th, 2011, 10:55 PM
Senior Contributor

An update on Silk. They found three, not two, big stones and a number of small ones but the good news is that when I rang earlier she was already sitting up and there is a possibility she may be able to come home this afternoon. What a relief to have it over.
Old August 15th, 2011, 11:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's great, GF!! Sending more for a speedy recovery!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:31 AM

Great news Goldfields Speedy healing Silk

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
An update on Silk. They found three, not two, big stones and a number of small ones but the good news is that when I rang earlier she was already sitting up and there is a possibility she may be able to come home this afternoon. What a relief to have it over.
So glad that it went well, I hope that she heals quickly
Old August 16th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Silk isn't coming home today after all, that was just the vet nurse's idea, not the Vet's. She will keep an eye on her tonight but I'll ring back just before they are due to close to see how she's going. In the meantime I'm catching up on the washing of all the dry beds and mats that Silk leaked on. While she's recuperating she can have the good, as in rarely used, dry bed that I used for newborn pups. I won't be totally happy until she's completely over this. it's been hard on this old girl.
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's pretty major surgery for her to be coming home the same day so it's a good thing they kept her. Hope she had a comfortable night and can come home today!

Ever notice how the dogs just seem to handle it all with aplomb, while we're stressin' out about the surgery and the recovery?

for Silk!

Old August 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

I`m glad she came thru the surgery ok...wishing her a speedy recovery...
Old August 16th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad she made it through everything with no issues!! Please give her hugs from me, and hugs to you as well

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

GF,I am sooo glad Silk came through the surgery with no problems,little Shelties are such gentle,beautiful dogs.
Hope she recovers quickly and with no complications
Old August 16th, 2011, 11:26 PM

Glad to see shes doing good, hope her recovery will be speedy. Shelties are such tough little dogs, she'll be running around before you know it.
Old August 17th, 2011, 01:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Had the pen spotless for her, didn't I? Clean dry bed, clean paper on floor, flannalette sheeting over the dry bed - thank heaven I did that - so she had a small meal, then promptly had diarrhoea all over everything. She is I'll put some Protexin in her next little meal. Rather than try to wash her petticoats, I just cut a poop track instead.

Anyway, here are the stones and it's the little sharp ones she passed that caused her all the grief, not the big ones. Penny tidied up her spay suture line and repaired a small hernia while she was doing that, so Silk hopefully will be as good as new.

While coming home I passed a paddock where two Kelpies were happily mauling a newborn lamb, so my first job when I got home(having failed to find anyone home on the farm, or see where these dogs were usually confined) was to ring a few of the neighbors till I could get one prepared to go and catch the dogs. I couldn't leave Silk unattended, not knowing whether she'd pull out stitches or not. An eventful day so far. Incidentally the lamb was on its feet so that those dogs were just playing and have a soft mouth.
Attached Images

Old August 17th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Mickey, my angel

Glad you got your girl back home and she is doing good except for the diarrhea. Hopefully that will resolve soon. Those are quite some stones. I'm sure it's a relief for her to be free of them.

Hope that little lamb is okay.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 17th, 2011, 09:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

omd, those stones are huge! Silk's already got to be feeling better just getting those monsters out!

Hope her tummy straightens out quickly now and the rest of her recovery goes smoothly

the neighbors managed to catch the kelpies before the lamb was hurt.

Old August 17th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

The stones are quite heavy too Hazel. Incredibly, Penny has just removed a stone twice as big as the larger one Silk had, from a CHIHUAHUA!! It's a wonder it could stand up. Silk was given some Scourban tonight and that will settle her tummy for sure. Chances are it may have been the Metacam causing the upset, so she's off that now. Her appetite is back, yay! I don't want to put an Elizabethan collar on her but am not sure she can be trusted to leave her sutures alone. Fingers crossed that when the light goes out she'll just sleep.
Re the Kelpies.... seems they may belong to the guy who works for the farmer. My friend up there had to tell him she didn't want them wandering on her farm after they jumped off his ute while he was working in a paddock opposite her place. Very careless and just the sort of behaviour that one day might get his dogs shot. I hate irresponsible dog owners!
Old August 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, those stones are, uh, impressive? I'm not sure what the right word is!!

I was able to use one of those inflatable collars on my girl when she had her shoulder surgery, it was more comfortable for her. But I think she could have reached her abdominal area with it on, so that might not be an option.

I hope that the recovery goes quickly
Old August 17th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Senior Contributor

One of the vet nurses said, prior to me seeing the stones, MaxaLisa. that they were just like stones you'd see on the beach. LOL. I finally trusted Silk to behave herself without a collar last night and she was good, and the great news is not a single solitary puddle in the pen overnight, instead a nice big puddle when I let her outside this morning. She is bright and happy, wanting to play with Gemma, though I am not allowing that yet, and while she is being a bit finicky(aka spoilt, she wants chicken, not diet food) , her appetite is okay. Money well spent, lovely to know she's comfortable now.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Senior Contributor

A final comment from Silk ..... Get me out of this thing! Or is it more likely "If I sit like this, maybe she'll feel sorry for me and ... get me out of this thing!" Poor girl, she wanted to help me get rid of the stitches but has to wait a day or two.
Attached Images

Old August 25th, 2011, 08:24 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Aw, poor girl! Bet she's getting great television reception, though!!

Patience, patience, Silk! A few more days and you'll be free! Free!

How is she feeling, GF?

Old August 25th, 2011, 09:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad to see she is doing well GF!!
But wow... those are some HUGE stones
Poor girl, I bet she is feeling great after being relieved of that heavy burden! Big hugs to you both