Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old July 15th, 2011, 06:47 AM

Smile Fences!

To any dog owner out there who is on the fence about getting a fence - spend the money it is worth it!!

We have a large yard on a busy road and dogs who do not think 2 acres is enough roaming space so we enclosed about 250 feet of the back yard with black chainlink for about 4k. Best money ever spent!

They immediately ran out and raced around like gazelles, jumping and running and carrying on. They haven't been able to do that on their leashes. The look of sheer joy on their faces was just worth it!

Question to dachshund owners - do you have problems with your dogs wanting to dig under the fence? Other than digging a bit to bury a treasure, mine haven't really exhibited any big digging tendencies yet. Just wondering if you had to reinforce the bottom of your fences?
Old July 15th, 2011, 07:11 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

4K??!!!! You must have had someone come in and do it for you! Wow!! The same area for us cost around $1500.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:35 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by violagirl View Post
To any dog owner out there who is on the fence about getting a fence - spend the money it is worth it!!
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:27 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm sure dachshunds will eventually give in to their digging instincts along the fence--our setters have on occasion. We use landscaping staples to anchor 2-ft-wide strips of chicken wire on the surface of the ground centered under the fence line. The grass grows up through the mesh and you don't even see the stuff after a few weeks. But if the dogs try to dig along the fence, they run into the mesh and stop digging.

Of course, setters aren't dachshunds and weren't bred to dig out burrows, so I'm not sure if that would be sufficient to discourage dachshunds from digging along the fence or if they'd just move back and dig a longer tunnel to avoid the mesh.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Not sure where Violagirl lives 14+ but I'm pretty sure you live in a rural area if I recall. The differences between rural prices and city prices can often be HUGE (often double) when it comes to housing prices as well as 'renovation' prices.

+1 on the fence though Violagirl, I'm sure it will make life so much easier for the whole family
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old July 15th, 2011, 09:43 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We paid the long green to have our fence put up, too--wasn't something we could do ourselves because there are so many rocks and roots out here that you need a hydraulic post press to get the dang posts into the ground. It did cost significantly more per foot than the fence we had installed in the city, partly because they had to haul the supplies and equipment 50 miles to do it. But we still feel it was worth every penny!

Plus if we'd done it, it would have been crooked and probably falling down by now! We're just not real handy...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM

That price also included 13% tax so you are right if we did it ourselves we could probably have done it for $1,500-2,000.

I'm definitely not handy enough to install my own fencing, nor do I have the time. I was actually at puppy class last night when they finished it.

I already feel much more secure bringing them out because i know they are now safe and can run and not get tangled. We can also sit outside on the deck and let them run free. One of our inside cats also ventured out, although I keep my eye on him because he could possibly jump the fence if he was motivated (can a 9 year old cat jump 6 feet?) or squeeze out by the gate, but he was quite happy to get outside. He can't get too excited out there though because dogs would be happy to play "chase" with him.
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:41 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Not sure where Violagirl lives 14+ but I'm pretty sure you live in a rural area if I recall. The differences between rural prices and city prices can often be HUGE (often double) when it comes to housing prices as well as 'renovation' prices.
Yes Marko, I am aware of the price gouging from country to city. Guess us country folks do have some advantages.
I suppose because we did do it ourselves (and we are very busy people too) and went right to the source for the material we were able to put up the same fencing for much less. I just don't want people who are interested in putting up something to protect their pets to think it's going to cost that kind of exorbitant price. That's all.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 15th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by violagirl View Post
Good for you, violagirl. Don't the dogs just love their freedom? I tell my shelties "running!" when we head outside and they all take off for a gallop.
Old July 16th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I am so glad I have Shih Tzu's. I just put up a green storm fence and some 2 x 4's. Cost under $300. Last time we had a small dog party here, I had 30 small dogs running wild in my back yard. Pugs, shih tzu, a yorki a couple of doxies, chi, poodle and 2 poms. it was funny and fun. like a small off leash park. When some neighbours are walking their little ones, sometimes they will drop them over the fence so they can run with my four. Quincy managed to find every hole and escape, so now our fence is escape proof.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old July 17th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I am just so glad I have fences, Shay. We've 10 shelties here at the moment, (4 belonging to my sister) then a guy is bringing his cattle dogs up for me to inspect tomorrow. Should be two adult females, a dog, and a super hard to resist puppy.Separate exercise areas will keep them all safe. Just might be buying the 2 year old female he's bringing, so need to see her moving freely on her own.(without her chasing my sheep).

Violagirl, can we see photo's of your new dog area and inmates, it must look great.
Old July 17th, 2011, 11:36 AM

A fence was a must when I bought this house, and it's a must in my next one. Nothing beats the peace of mind of being able to let His Highness out at any time, knowing he's safe. My neighbor with no fence often brings her pup over and lets him in the yard too, just so he can have some relaxed off-leash time.