Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old January 24th, 2010, 11:58 AM

Looks like I found that perfect cat food!

I noticed it a few weeks ago at Walmart, Special Kitty canned food. From what I can tell it has excellent ingredients, (salmon chicken, liver - even peas, red peppers and carrots) that rivals even the best out there (Wellness) and contains little fillers, no by-products, and no junk. The consistency is also similar to one of the top, most expensive brands, yet believe it or not its actually cheaper than Whiskas! It has also passed a certain food critic's very discriminating tastes

Enjoy guys and gals
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:09 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

?????

http://hubpages.com/hub/Special_Kitt...Blend_Cat_Food
*The label is split so you don't read the bad ingredients first. The way the label is place the reader sees 'natural flavors, chicken, tuna, crab, and lobster' listed first. On careful examination of the label these are only added flavors and are not part of the actual meat in the product. The meat is chicken by-product only.

With a recall list like this IMO I would never trust it for cats.

http://hubpages.com/hub/Special_Kitt...ll_Information

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 24th, 2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I'm not sure what you posted, but thats not the food I'm talking about..
It looks totally different, and like I said there is no by-product meal in it.
Old January 24th, 2010, 01:06 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

That site is from a couple of years ago. I would think the cans shown were from the States. Unfortunately when I went looking for an ingredient list for SK I couldn't find one on line. That to me tells me that the food is not good quality. There is no way a good quality canned food can be produced for the price it is sold.
I have looked at the ingredient lists in the past and have not ever found one that was not loaded with corn and by products. Please share the ingredient list with us. If it is indeed true I would love to start buying it. Thanks very much!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 24th, 2010, 03:46 PM
-

Quote:
Please share the ingredient list with us. If it is indeed true I would love to start buying it. Thanks very much!!
I'm very curious too.
Old January 24th, 2010, 04:15 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Quote:
Please share the ingredient list with us. If it is indeed true I would love to start buying it. Thanks very much!!
That could be difficult, according to this link...

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...good-luck.html

Ginger and Hobo at the Bridge (Valentine's Day 2011) but NEVER forgotten <3...

"‎I have sent you on a journey to a land free from pain, not because
I did not love you, but because I loved you too much to force
you to stay" ♥ ♥

We do not have to wait for Heaven, to be surrounded by hope, love, and joyfulness.
It is here on earth and has four legs!
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I've seen it at Wal-Mart and no,the ingredients don't even compare to Wellness no grain.
It's cheap,yes,cheaper than even Fancy Feast..
Old January 24th, 2010, 05:26 PM
150% PRO S/N

Well, I had to go to WM and pick up a few things today so I got a few cans of food too.
List of ingredients.........

Seafood Supreme Ingredients

Ocean fish – what kind?
Sufficient water for processing
Poultry by products
Meat by products
Rice flour
Animal liver
Animal digest (that means whatever animal byproducts they are using they didn’t clean it out first so therefore your cat is getting whatever the animal in it ate before being killed. It’s the intestines and stomach of the animal)
Guar gum
Shrimp
Salt
Potassium chloride
Sodium tripolyphosphate
Titanium dioxide
Vitamins (E, A, D3, B12, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin)
Minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), choline chloride, carrageenan, iron oxide, taurine. Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Special Kitty™ Seafood Supreme Premium Cat Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for growth and maintenance.
There is more about feeding rate and returning unused portion to blah blah…….
Can end says made In Canada.

Salmon Dinner

Meat by products
Salmon
Poultry by products
Fish
Rice flour
Guar gum
And the same as the seafood label……..

Sliced Turkey Dinner in Gravy

Meat by products
Turkey
Chicken
Food starch modified
Salt
Natural flavour?
And the same as before……….

This one is made in the States.

I am not sure what kind of food has the peas, carrots, peppers. Not that a meat eating cat requires veggies anyway.
Spelling is right off the cans. I know there are some mistakes but that's the way it's spelled.
Could you please let us know what flavours you are buying? Maybe I picked up the wrong ones.

Old January 24th, 2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Well, I had to go to WM and pick up a few things today so I got a few cans of food too.
List of ingredients.........

Seafood Supreme Ingredients

Ocean fish – what kind?
Poultry by products
Meat by products
Rice flour
Animal liver
Animal digest (that means whatever animal byproducts they are using they didn’t clean it out first so therefore your cat is getting whatever the animal in it ate before being killed. It’s the intestines and stomach of the animal)
Guar gum
Shrimp
Salt
Potassium chloride
Sodium tripolyphosphate
Titanium dioxide
Vitamins (E, A, D3, B12, Thiamine Mononitrate, Niacin, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, folic acid, biotin)
Minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, copper proteinate, manganous sulfate, potassium iodide, sodium selenite), choline chloride, carrageenan, iron oxide, taurine. Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Special Kitty™ Seafood Supreme Premium Cat Food provides complete and balanced nutrition for growth and maintenance.
There is more about feeding rate and returning unused portion to blah blah…….
Can end says made In Canada.

Salmon Dinner

Meat by products
Salmon
Poultry by products
Fish
Rice flour
Guar gum
And the same as the seafood label……..

Sliced Turkey Dinner in Gravy

Meat by products
Turkey
Chicken
Food starch modified
Salt
Natural flavour?
And the same as before……….

This one is made in the States.

I am not sure what kind of food has the peas, carrots, peppers. Not that a meat eating cat requires veggies anyway.
Spelling is right off the cans. I know there are some mistakes but that's the way it's spelled.
Could you please let us know what flavours you are buying? Maybe I picked up the wrong ones.
You bought a completely different food, those ingredients arent even close to what I have.

As far as the ingredients, there's lots of them..lol

here are the first ones in order:

Meat broth, Chicken, Salmon, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Potato Starch, Red Peppers, Carrots, Sunflower Oil...followed by many more

I'm not saying this will be perfect for everyone, or better than the very best out there, but at 48 cents a can, imo its tons better than most.
Old January 24th, 2010, 06:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

Could I ask where you live? As in province or state. We have nothing that looks like that in any WM around here. Could you also share the rest of the ingredients. In fact please share all of the ingredients in the order listed. I'm extremely curious now. At .48 a can they would be losing money IMO. If possible could you also find a date on the can. Normally on the bottom. And where it was manufactured.

Old January 24th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles007 View Post
Meat broth, Chicken, Salmon, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Potato Starch, Red Peppers, Carrots, Sunflower Oil...followed by many more
Meat broth - what kind of "meat"?

Chicken is good.

Salmon - cats shouldn't eat fish every day, for a number of reasons I won't go into right now.

Liver - from what animal?

Wheat gluten - a cheap way to boost the protein content. And hello? 2007 recall anyone?

Potato starch - unnecessary carbs.

Quote:
I'm not saying this will be perfect for everyone, or better than the very best out there, but at 48 cents a can, imo its tons better than most.
I agree that it's not the worst, but I wouldn't say it's better than Wellness by a long shot. If the price enables someone to feed their cat wet food instead of dry, than I'm all for it for that reason.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 24th, 2010, 09:27 PM
I'm a softy

I agree, if it means someone feeds it instead of special kitty dry, thats great. I have read special kitty cans, and i am not a fan, i wouldnt compare it to wellness.

A food that says 'meat' and doesnt specify is something to stay far far away from. If they dont say what animal it is from, it is because they dont know. It is from a rendering truck, or other mulitple source suppliers, scary stuff.

The pictures off all the veggies is such a stupid gimmick, who would feed their cat carrotts and peppers? That is cheaper than meat, it is the waste from the veggies, not whole and fresh, and its the last thing a cat needs.
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:07 PM

I never said it was better than Wellness, as far as using a small amount of carrots, peas, and peppers, I have seen some of the top most expensive brands out there using them, they are far from cheap, and I don't see any reason why they wouldnt be good for cats in small quanitities.

But of course everyone has to make up their own minds about what is best for them and their kitty.

Last edited by bubbles007; January 24th, 2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Geek Club CEO

Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they require zero plant matter in their diet and are physiologically designed to catch, chew, and digest an all-meat (prey) diet. Veggies are wasted on them.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Red Peppers??????

Ummmm this ingredient in catfood is new to me.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Could I ask where you live? As in province or state. We have nothing that looks like that in any WM around here. Could you also share the rest of the ingredients. In fact please share all of the ingredients in the order listed. I'm extremely curious now. At .48 a can they would be losing money IMO. If possible could you also find a date on the can. Normally on the bottom. And where it was manufactured.
Sure I got these from a Super Walmart in Markham, the date on it is Nov '\12 and it says Made in Canada.

As far as the ingredients, I might try to take a picture, haha theres too many too list.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendyfoot View Post
Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning they require zero plant matter in their diet and are physiologically designed to catch, chew, and digest an all-meat (prey) diet. Veggies are wasted on them.
I understand that, and I think the carnivore part is taken care of by the first 4 ingredients "Meat broth, Chicken, Salmon, Liver"

I don't see how red peppers are a waste (i am sure its only a tiny amount anyway)...probably still better than large amoumts of rice gluten and animal by-product meal which is in most canned food.
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Geek Club CEO

Perhaps...but we choose to feed none of that stuff (including wheat gluten and potatoes) to our cats: only meat, bone and organs
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old January 24th, 2010, 10:56 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
You bought a completely different food, those ingredients arent even close to what I have.
Actually, what I bought was the Special Kitty cat food that was on the shelves of the WM I went to. It is also a Super WM. Granted it's in the process of being built/redone so maybe they don't have all of the food they are planning on stocking in yet. Although the pet food section does look "done". I just can't figure out why they would stock a food that is full of by products and a food that is not and charge the same price for both.

Quote:
Sure I got these from a Super Walmart in Markham, the date on it is Nov '\12 and it says Made in Canada.

As far as the ingredients, I might try to take a picture, haha theres too many too list.
If you feel comfortable feeding your cat this food then go for it. I can't afford the very best for my gang either but the SK brand just does not sit right with me. Thanks for sharing.

Old January 24th, 2010, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Actually, what I bought was the Special Kitty cat food that was on the shelves of the WM I went to. It is also a Super WM. Granted it's in the process of being built/redone so maybe they don't have all of the food they are planning on stocking in yet. Although the pet food section does look "done". I just can't figure out why they would stock a food that is full of by products and a food that is not and charge the same price for both.

If you feel comfortable feeding your cat this food then go for it. I can't afford the very best for my gang either but the SK brand just does not sit right with me. Thanks for sharing.
Not a problem, I will continue to use this, as I see it as a huge improvement over most of the other products out there. If you do manage to find this food, you may want to give it a try, it may surprise you.
Old January 24th, 2010, 11:35 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Not a problem, I will continue to use this, as I see it as a huge improvement over most of the other products out there. If you do manage to find this food, you may want to give it a try, it may surprise you.
Not likely unless they can prove the food is made in a different location than their other food. I imagine it is probably still made by Mars which had one of the biggest recalls with the tainted food a couple of years back.

Old January 25th, 2010, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Not likely unless they can prove the food is made in a different location than their other food. I imagine it is probably still made by Mars which had one of the biggest recalls with the tainted food a couple of years back.
Possibly, but I'm not ready to give it up solely based on prior reputation.

Its equally as likely that they have cleaned up their act, and are offering this made in Canada higher quality product as a way to win back consumers.
Old January 25th, 2010, 01:03 AM

Is there an information phone number on the label? Call them and ask what kind of meat the "meat broth" is from and what animal the "liver" is from.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old January 25th, 2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Bubbles,if you are in the US,that might be why we don't have it in Canada yet
I know some companies are trying to produce"better"cat-food,maybe finally realizing pet-owners want to feed their animals the best food they can afford.
Even Fancy Feast has come out with a new"better"version.
My 3 cats have been on Wellness now for quiet a while,yes it's pricey,but I pay only $1.79+tax for a 5 oz can,I know Pet-Value charges $2.19,so $1.79 is not bad.
Old January 25th, 2010, 05:36 PM

During the animal food recall a bit ago, I had been reading an article, also noticed myself, that some tins of Special Kitty had just been relabeled. They didn't even remove the old one.

Just be careful, I had been feeding Special Kitty to my cat, who went downhill with kidney disease 2 years before the recall. (3 months.) Of course, I wasn't involved in the legal action, as it had been too long.

binky
Old January 25th, 2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Bubbles,if you are in the US,that might be why we don't have it in Canada yet
I know some companies are trying to produce"better"cat-food,maybe finally realizing pet-owners want to feed their animals the best food they can afford.
Even Fancy Feast has come out with a new"better"version.
My 3 cats have been on Wellness now for quiet a while,yes it's pricey,but I pay only $1.79+tax for a 5 oz can,I know Pet-Value charges $2.19,so $1.79 is not bad.
Markham..North GTA ... its in Canada