Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 24th, 2015, 11:03 AM

Post Rehoming 5 year old dog

I recently inherited my Grandma's longhaired dachshund-Abby. Abby has never been inside another house besides my grandmas house.(she is an inside dog) I brought her over to my house last night to see how she would do. She looked around and explored for a while and then she kept going to the door, like okay, ready to go home now. She whined a little through the night, but not to bad.

My grandma was 88 and was at home with Abby 24/7. I have a full time job and will be leaving her at home until about 7pm every day.

I feel really bad about leaving her and just want to get any tips or advice anyone may have!!

Thanks!
Old November 24th, 2015, 01:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, Johnni--welcome to the board.

So sorry for the loss of your Grandma.

And bless you for taking in Abby! Have you ever had a dog before? In case not, I'll gear my suggestions for someone with no experience, so forgive my stating the obvious if you've heard this all already.

It will be an adjustment for her, but there are some things you can do to help her out. Also, when you leave the house and when you come home, remember to keep your leavetaking and greetings low-key and calm.

Can you make enough time in the mornings to get her out for a walk or to throw a ball for her before you leave for work? It's a great opportunity for her to pee, poop, and run off some excess energy. The more tired she is, the longer she'll be sleeping it off while you're gone.

Is there a trusted neighbor or friend who can check on her once or twice a day while you're gone, to let her out and give her a bit of company, however brief? Anything that breaks up the day like that will be helpful. And, of course, she's probably not used to having to hold her bladder all day, so a mid-day break will help minimize any accidents... Remember to let her out right away when you get home so she can relieve herself.

Does she like toys? You can fill a Kong toy with treats or, if she's in an area without carpeting, freeze some yogurt into a Kong and leave that with her when you leave. It'll keep her busy for a while and she'll still have the Kong to play with after it's empty. (Make sure you check the Kong every day for cracks or pitting, though--they're pretty durable, but they will break down with time and you wouldn't want her to swallow any pieces.)

If she likes other dogs, a doggy daycare would be a good option if there's one nearby. Even just one or two days a week would be good. Make sure you check out the facilities and ask for references beforehand, though. A good daycare facility should have multiple staff members on hand at all times, separate areas for big and large dogs, and clean play areas.

Good luck, Johnni! We're here if you have questions or problems come up, so don't be shy about asking! And when you get a chance, we'd love to see some pics of the lovely Abby if you have some to share!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 25th, 2015, 07:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Welcome as well Johnni,

I just wanted to add that I agree w/HRP's fantastic suggestions and I hope they may help you.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:38 PM

Thank you SO much! She is adjusted so much better now! She does not go and wait by the door anymore. She goes to the door when she needs to be let out to use the bathroom. She is starting to play with her toys a little more as well!
Old November 27th, 2015, 03:39 PM

Here is a picture of Abby.
Attached Images

Old November 27th, 2015, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

She is cute ! I bet this was a big adjustment to the poor puppy she must be missing your grandmother too. She a very special dog being a your grandmother's .
Old November 28th, 2015, 02:33 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a darling little girl!! I wanna kiss that cute nose!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 2nd, 2015, 12:25 AM

My condolences on the loss of your Grandma
Bless you for taking in sweet little Abby. She looks so adorable I'm sure you two will become besties before you know it.
Old December 8th, 2015, 05:15 PM

Thank you all!

Thank you all for all the kind words! Abby was acting like her self within 3-4 days! She is adjusted to her new home now and we have a good routine going! I look forward to coming home to her everyday!
Old December 8th, 2015, 08:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's awesome, Johnni!

Old December 8th, 2015, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I love good news!