Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old November 14th, 2005, 08:18 PM

Unhappy Pregnant Fox Terriers need fosters ** Graphic puppy mill dog pics

I just recieved this email from the Montreal SPCA. I'm sure many of you have heard about it on the news. Such a sad and sick story.:sad: They are looking for fosters for the pregnant mothers, I thought maybe some people here can help, the contact info is listed below.

101 Fox Terriers

Many of you have probably seen the reports on the Blainville dogs on the News.
Last Thursday, the Blainville police and Canine Patrol, the pound in charge of
Blainville, a private pound, seized over one hundred dogs in a private residence
following a complaint from neighbours bothered by the foul smell emanating from
the house.

An individual lived with over one hundred dogs in indescribable conditions. The
house was littered with excrements. Incidentally, the City will have to tear
down the house.

This operation was conducted by the Blainville police without the participation
of the SPCA. This means that we had no idea about the seizure. We learned about
it the day of the event. We rushed over and were able to take possession of 35
of the dogs. The 65 others were already in possession of Canine Patrol, a
private pound.
On Sunday morning, we went to Canine Patrol to recuperate the other dogs but
about 20 of them had already been put down. All the other dogs are safe and
sound and are at the Laval shelter. We now have all the seized dogs.

In this precise case, the individual has serious psychological problems. A few
years ago, he started breeding Fox Terriers. He was a qualified and registered
breeder with the Canadian Association of Dog Breeders. He had 15 dogs at the
time. The SPCA had received two complaints and we paid him 2 visits in 2001 and
2002. The dogs were treated well and there was nothing we could do in accordance
with the law. The case was closed.

But, for the last 2 years, complaints kept coming in to the Blainville Police.
Nothing was done, no inquiry was launched. No complaint was made to the SPCA.
Two years ago, the man´s mother died and the situation degenerated to become
what it is today. When we learned about the situation last Thursday, we
intervened without delay and requisitioned these dogs. The dogs did not have
many chances of surviving in a private pound.

Today, at the Laval SPCA, the dogs have been groomed and will probably be put up
for adoption.

I am sending you exclusive pictures.

ATTENTION: WE ARE LOOKING FOR FOSTER HOMES FOR 10 PREGNANT FEMALES. PLEASE
CONTACT THE FOSTER PROGRAM AT (514) 735-2711, ext. 237

Louise Allard
SPCA
(514) 735-2711, ext. 240

Old November 14th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Senior Contributor

How far along are the dogs? Why don't they just spay the dogs now and abort the pups?
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:30 PM

I don't know Poodletalk. I just got this email but haven't bothered phoning the foster program and finding out more info as I'm at my dog max right now. I'm sure purebred fox terrier puppies will find homes easily though. I don't think there is really a need to abort them all.
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Personally, I think they should all be spayed and spared having to go through with the pregnancy. These dogs have been through enough... this is the last thing they need plus, how will the foster families feel when dead puppies arrive or worse, deformed puppies from lack of nutrition? It's very sad... I don't blame the SPCA staff for trying... I blame the director for asking them to do so. :sad:
Old November 14th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you BMDluver, the dogs have been through enough, probably they are not healthy themselves and now the strain and the energy of giving birth. It doesn't seem right at all. They should be spayed now and put up for adoption. The world doesn't need anymore puppymill pups!
Old November 15th, 2005, 01:11 AM

Unhappy

****! Whoever was responsible for this should go to jail!!!!

Last edited by White Wolf; November 15th, 2005 at 01:18 AM. Reason: added more *'s
Old November 15th, 2005, 01:23 AM

He'll probably get a small fine. Vive le Quebec!
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:20 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree - none of these dogs are gealthy enough to bring puppies to term. Oh, they could do it physicially but what will be the condition of the puppies and the moms? And potential health probs of the puppies? Any group that allows thse "girls" to give birth may mean well but it is not in their best inteersts nor of the puppies who will be born with God knows what problems - and I say this as someone who adores fox terriers - I grew up with one!!
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
Personally, I think they should all be spayed and spared having to go through with the pregnancy. These dogs have been through enough... this is the last thing they need plus, how will the foster families feel when dead puppies arrive or worse, deformed puppies from lack of nutrition? It's very sad... I don't blame the SPCA staff for trying... I blame the director for asking them to do so. :sad:
That's true. Guess I was thinking of it from the puppies perspective, it would seem like such a sad ending to a sad story to have to kill them all. But if the mother's aren't well enough to go through with the pregnancies then spaying would be the best option. Unfortunately Barnoti seems to think only in terms of economics, and these purebred puppies will generate a lot of lovely revenue for him.
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes! It will bring in extra revenue but NOT for the Foster Program nor the animals at the SPCA!!
Old November 15th, 2005, 04:58 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayla
That's true. Guess I was thinking of it from the puppies perspective, it would seem like such a sad ending to a sad story to have to kill them all. But if the mother's aren't well enough to go through with the pregnancies then spaying would be the best option. Unfortunately Barnoti seems to think only in terms of economics, and these purebred puppies will generate a lot of lovely revenue for him.
Sad to think that many could end up back where they came from, just a new location different person. Dog forbid they were all sterilized before leaving. :sad:

30 Fox Terriers are now sitting in PA at Jean Talon... they are a disgusting sad mess. Quebec at it's worst.
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:03 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,this is the worst I've ever seen..only evil people could do this to innocent dogs,it just makes me sick
I am surprised Barnoti did not just put them down
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
OMG,this is the worst I've ever seen..only evil people could do this to innocent dogs,it just makes me sick
I am surprised Barnoti did not just put them down
Some of them will be pts depending on health evaluation.
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

In the article it says that the Canine Patrol, which appears to have a contract with the city of Blainville, was the outfit that got to the dogs first and had already euthanized 30 before Barnoti went and got them. So it looks as if he is at least a teeny tiny plastic replica of a hero in this story.
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:33 PM
owned by Tucker

those pics just brought me to tears. I'd like to get hold of the a--holes that did this I'd fix them, shove them into little cages and treat them the same. I truely wish I could help out but I'm only allowed my one dog. It is hard to believe there are dogs under those matts.
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Looking at those awful pictures,you can hardly see they are dogs,maybe many of them will never be suitable for adoption,having lived in a cage their entire life,euthanazia might be the kindest thing:sad:
I just wish our governments would look upon this kind of horror the way we do and stick these people in jail for a very long time
This is 2005,not the middle ages,to me this is no less serious than were they torturing a human,they are simply evil people!
Old November 15th, 2005, 05:41 PM
Kitty Consort

omg. These photos are gutwrenching.
Just breaks the heart, and wounds the soul to know this goes on. Thank God for the angels of mercy who are trying to help these poor animals.
Old November 15th, 2005, 06:00 PM

This is just a terrible story. I don't know who the "they" is that we can blame. I guess the guilt lies with whoever let a man with "severe psychological problems" breed fox terriers. Is that the government for turning the other cheek? The "Canadian Associaton of Dog Breeders" (who are they--I thought the CKC was the one to register with)? The SPCA for not noticing there was a problem when they first checked it out? The guy's caretakers and doctors for allowing him to breed puppies?

This story should remind us that BYBs are just as bad, if not worse, than puppy mills. These dogs were "home-raised"; they weren't in cages, they were allowed to run free, which is why the house now has to be torn down by the city.

And as for the SPCA stepping in to be heroes--of course they saw an opportunity for PR and used it. This is a human interest story that was publicized nationally, and the SPCA needs to show people what kind of work their donations are supporting. I'm not sure where I come down in terms of the ethics of this--it's definitely a complex situation. To put them down might seem like the most humane thing to do, but because of the huge human interest component to this story, to allow people to offer loving homes for these poor dogs seems important. A lot of people will look at those dogs and want to help them, and they should be given the opportunity to do so.

But I agree that the puppies may not have the best chance of survival anyway, and maybe the SPCA shouldn't be asking that their foster families not only help some seriously abused dogs return to physical and psychological health, but also to take care of the puppies and mourn the ones who don't make it as well. It's a very difficult situation, and of course everyone wants to see healthy, happy dogs emerge from the mess they were living in. Whether this is possible remains to be seen.

Ethical dilemmas aside, I wish these dogs the best. And I hope that we all remember to go through the pains of selecting a good breeder or searching the rescues for however long it takes to avoid buying from pet stores and newspaper or internet ads. A little inconvenience and impatience is worth it if it means putting puppy mills and BYBs out of business!

-Poe's Ma
Old November 15th, 2005, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

When I saw that story on the news I nearly puked -- the worse part is that this guy isn't going to get the psychiatric help he needs (although my dad, who's a psychiatrist says that there's no cure for animal horders and he's just going to start all over again....)

I think all those poor pregnant pooches should be spayed if their health permits it....PEOPLE SUCK!!! I hate humans when I see things like this....UGH!

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Poe,thank you for making me read the history behind these poor dogs.
I had just looked at the horrific pictures and assumed a couple of very greedy people where breeding for money,whilst breeding-machines were kept in cages,as so often is the case.
This case is different but still an unbelievable case of cruelty,caused by a very sick person.
Hopefully behind the tangled dirty mess,there will be adoptable dogs.
As so very often is the case in widely publisized horror-stories,money and calls for adoption will be coming in to the SPCA and I hope they do the right thing by the dogs,whatever it may be.:love:
Old November 16th, 2005, 02:05 PM

And after all this, inspectors that are so powerless, the City of Montreal K9 inspector was back at my door Monday, to search through my whole apartment, closets included, in case I was hiding a dog without a dog tag.

They came, took pictures, found nothing wrong, gave my son a $100 ticket for refusing access (???), and promised him they'd be back next week to search my closets again to see if I brought in an "illegal" dog.....

This is Montreal for you, I'm fighting this one alone once again, no one wants to help me. I contacted the media, the city councillors, my borough mayor, etc. and nothing.

I was told by the inspector, Mr Fortin that I am not allowed to rescue dogs, not even one, as I am not an SPCA. He wants me to rat out all the rescues and foster homes, as none of us are legal.... IT IS ILLEGAL TO SAVE A DOG ACCORDING TO MR. FORTIN, UNLESS YOU ARE THE SPCA.

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents, and believe this or not, the Blainville dogs that they are now looking to place in foster care with "citizens" will not have tags, but those people will not be harrassed because they don't know about them..... and the SPCA will not rat them out.

Only I am being targetted, because it has happened occasionally that there was a third dog, with no tag, in my apartment.

Vive MOntréal!
Old November 16th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my god...this is how money is spent. We are harassing people that rescue....what have we turned into. NOw this should make the news and if nothing else hopeful make them realize how stupid they have become. Sorry I hate to use any of these words on any site, but these people should be hung out by their toe nails....how absolutely ridiculous.....What will they do next pay officers to sit and get involved on these sites to smoke out the mean terrible inhumane people that dare rescue.....
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

This is just sick, I have never seen anything so disgusting, those poor dogs have been through so much, I hope and pray they all get the lives they so much deserve.
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Most of them are not moving in their cages, they just stare blankly into space. Quite a few were pts today from the Laval location. They were just too old or too sick to be adopted. :sad:
Old November 16th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Lil'Ricky mom,I don't know what to say,it's unbelievable,the SPCA would rather euthanize the dogs you rescue??
Boy,this has been an awful week at the Forum:sad:
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:09 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Most of them are not moving in their cages, they just stare blankly into space. Quite a few were pts today from the Laval location. They were just too old or too sick to be adopted.
Jenn, are any rescue getting the option to take in some of these guys? The ones that are scheduled to be PTS, I mean..
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRescueMTL
Jenn, are any rescue getting the option to take in some of these guys? The ones that are scheduled to be PTS, I mean..
I do not think any rescues have been asked prior to finding out that so many per day have already been pts. I will find out what the options are and if they are open to it or not. PB is a large presence there right now so it might not be possible for that reason.
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
PB is a large presence there right now so it might not be possible for that reason.
That's a terrible, terrible shame. I am sure some could be helped.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old November 16th, 2005, 07:43 PM

Just to clarify, the SPCA wouldn't rather put down the dogs I rescue, I am talking about the Montreal Canine Inspector (City of Montreal, not SPCA). He feels if the SPCA cannot help, I have no right to rescue and the dogs should be put down, as I am not SPCA. He's never heard of any of the other rescues, other than the SPCA.... Unbelievable.

As for the Fox Terriers, from what I was told today at the SPCA, 80 are actually still alive, 10 are pregnant, but all of them need to go into foster care as they cannot be put up for adoption because the guy is fighting to get some of them back. He wants at least 15 non-spayed females to start his business again. So meanwhile, they cannot adopt any of them out. These dogs will be in foster care forever.......
Old November 16th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I was told by the inspector, Mr Fortin that I am not allowed to rescue dogs, not even one, as I am not an SPCA. He wants me to rat out all the rescues and foster homes, as none of us are legal.... IT IS ILLEGAL TO SAVE A DOG ACCORDING TO MR. FORTIN, UNLESS YOU ARE THE SPCA.
This kind of stupidty and ignorance is being paid a salary? Unbelievable....

"City of Montreal K9 Inspector"?? What the heck?? Hope he had a warrant to search your house?

Quote:
He wants at least 15 non-spayed females to start his business again. So meanwhile, they cannot adopt any of them out. These dogs will be in foster care forever
I guess we'll say how much good the new so-called anti cruelty laws are really going to work here.