Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old March 10th, 2017, 04:22 PM

Displaced Aggression

I looked for this but couldn't find anything, sorry, I suck at computers.

Anyways, I have 2 kitties, both fixed, both indoor cats. The smaller female is about 8 and the bigger male is about 7. Other than when I first brought the male home, they have never had any major issues. They play fought but that was it.

About 5 days ago, they were sunning themselves on an unseasonably warm day with just the screen door open. The neighbour's neglected, unfixed male cat came up to the door. ALL HELL BROKE LOSE. My male (Monkey) attacked my female (Baby Kitty) and it was horrible. Blood and fur and cat screaming. It sucked. Baby kitty finally got away and hid. She was bleeding from a cut on her paw, I was able to get to her, pick her up and apply pressure to the wound, thankfully it didn't seem that bad.

When she came out of hiding, he attacked her again. She hid and I could not get near him, he has lost it. Finally I managed to herd him down to the basement. He has a bed down there, his own littler box and food/water but he does not want to be down there alone and cries constantly. Baby Kitty has everything set up in my bedroom and won't come out.

I bought 2 Feliway diffusers and the Comfort Spray, so far they haven't had any effect yet. I've been told that it can take up to 2 weeks for it to work. DAMN that stuff is expensive.

So now, I don't know what to do. My 4 y/o opened my bedroom door today (I've been letting Monkey out which seems unfair) and he got in my bedroom and the fight was on again.

I don't know what to do. I'm going to get some Rescue Remedy tomorrow but things can't go on like this. Please, if anyone has any advice, I'd be very grateful.

The
Old March 10th, 2017, 05:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you tried googling 'redirected aggression'? There are quite a few links out there on the problem.

I have no direct experience to relay, but here a couple of the links I found:

https://iaabc.org/cat/redirected-aggression-in-cats

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat...ession-in-cats

Such a sad and frustrating situation!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 10th, 2017, 06:18 PM

Thank you for the links. It IS heartbreaking and stressful as hell.
Like most articles I find, separation is the way to go at first. I've found nothing about re-introduction or herbal/medical treatments that will help.
I've been letting them take turns being the kitty that is not locked up, Monkey seems so chill and Baby Kitty is scared to leave my room.
At night, when I'm in the room with Baby Kitty, Monkey who is loose yowls his head off. They both used to sleep on my bed.
This separation thing sucks and is hugely inconvenient. My 4 y/o has to be watched constantly to make sure he doesn't open a door he shouldn't.
This is really hard.
Old March 11th, 2017, 12:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you talked with a vet? I wonder if they'd have any ideas of how to facilitate their reacquaintance?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."