Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 14th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Question North Toronto/York Region Puppy classes -- recommendations?

Hi,

Our friends are getting a miniature schnauzer puppy (9 1/2 weeks old) in a few weeks and they want to sign up for puppy classes as they are first time dog owners. The classes i went to are no longer offered in the area -- any recommendations for north toronto/thornhill/richmond hill/markham/vaughan area?

Thank you!

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old February 15th, 2011, 06:54 PM
Doggie Wench

Your friends can't go wrong if they can get their pup into classes like this. Not quite sure if it's in the vicinity they're looking for though.

http://www.whenhoundsfly.com/puppytraining.html
Old February 15th, 2011, 07:02 PM

Thanks!! I sent them the link

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:48 PM

http://www.torontosmalldogs.com/ might be a good option if they're interested in having a trainer come to their home for one-on-one lessons. I've never met her, but her previous small dog socialization classes really appealed to me. I'm not sure what the format is for them now that they're not held at her home (she moved).
Old February 16th, 2011, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneCS View Post
http://www.torontosmalldogs.com/ might be a good option if they're interested in having a trainer come to their home for one-on-one lessons. I've never met her, but her previous small dog socialization classes really appealed to me. I'm not sure what the format is for them now that they're not held at her home (she moved).
I've never heard any thing special about Nadia, she strikes me as a bit of a self proclaimed guru. I wouldn't recommend her for training. Plus I don't think her business is around any more. She closed it down for the move and never seems to have restarted it. A few people I know tried contacting her for care for their small dogs and never even heard back from her.

Hounds Fly is good. There's also All About Dogs at Keele near Lawrence, and Who's Walking Who has a few locations.

Stay away from Bark Busters. It's a franchise that promises the world, uses silly and outdated methods, and their trainers basically only go through a 2wk course then hit the road.
Old February 19th, 2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
I've never heard any thing special about Nadia, she strikes me as a bit of a self proclaimed guru. I wouldn't recommend her for training. Plus I don't think her business is around any more. She closed it down for the move and never seems to have restarted it. A few people I know tried contacting her for care for their small dogs and never even heard back from her.

Hounds Fly is good. There's also All About Dogs at Keele near Lawrence, and Who's Walking Who has a few locations.

Stay away from Bark Busters. It's a franchise that promises the world, uses silly and outdated methods, and their trainers basically only go through a 2wk course then hit the road.
Good to know! She did reopen according to her website, but is offering different services now (no daycare/boarding). I did receive a response to my email enquiry during her move, but IIRC it seemed to be automated.