Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 1st, 2010, 07:16 PM

kitten diarrhea

I have a 4 month old kitten. I recently changed her cat food because from the time I got her she has had the worst smelling poo. For the first week that she was on this food she was doing great her stools were more formed and barely smelled at all. Recently, she has started with diarrhea, one to two bouts a day but always makes it to the litter box, accompanied by terrible flatulence. I have also noticed that she has begun the teething process. Is it possible that these things are related in some way or should I be even more worried than I already am?
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM

the first thing that comes to mind for me (other than the food change of course) is house plants. any chance she has been chewing on any? my riley cat got HORRIBLE diarrhea from plant chewing.

another idea...have you dewormed her properly since you got her?
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:29 PM
Senior Contributor

What was her old food and what is she eating now? Has she ever had a check-up at the vet and a de-worming?

I'm not sure how the teething would be related to her digestive issues, but you never know. Is she biting you or chewing on other stuff? Maybe she's nibbling on something she shouldn't be? Perhaps giving her something like chunks of raw chicken necks or wing tips would help satisfy her urge to chew (and it would be really healthy!).

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Oops, sorry to repeat, I'm slow today......

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:51 PM
I'm a softy

Has she been dewormed properly, and recently? Those are definitely signs that it could be a parasite. All kittens have to be dewormed. Good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM
-

I agree with everyone and, if she has not been dewormed yet, please get the medication from your vet and do not buy the over the counter stuff.
Old January 1st, 2010, 08:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

In addition to all the great stuff so far... did you do a gradual changeover or just stop one food and start another? A gradual changeover is much better for the kitty. There are so many possibilities as to why kitty has the runs. Bad food, worms, etc. Flatulence usually indicates something with food. You don't give her milk, do you? A lot of cats/kittens are lactose intolerant. Once they are weaned they really do not need milk at all. Water is much better for them.
I'm hoping you are going to answer SCM's query by telling us you changed your kitty to a grain free canned food. That is really the best choice for kitty's health.
For worm medication - a good all round worm pill or liquid from your vet is what you need to administer. A lot of worming pills need to be given twice. Usually a couple of weeks apart.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 2nd, 2010, 09:48 AM

I gradually switched her over from purina kitten chow to meow mix kitten, which is what my mom's cat had eaten with no problems. I do not give her milk of any sort as I know that many cats are lactose intolerant.
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:05 AM
I'm a softy

Ok, yeah. . That really is not ideal. Dry food really is not the thing to feed your cat, i am on my phone and cant post links, but i know there are others that can post some great reading. It would be wise to switch to a grain free canned diet, like wellness. If you MUST feed dry you should at least feed a better one. Read the ingredients and remember cats are obligate carnivores.

Also, you didnt say if kitty has been dewormed, it isnt very expensive and is a necessity. I am positive with a switch to a good food, and a deworming your kitten will do perfect, good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old January 2nd, 2010, 10:06 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

It is probably her food. If she hasn't been dewormed, then it should be done.

Here is some good reading on cat nutrition:

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php

And a great website on nutrition requirements of cats:

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

After reading the info on these websites, compare the ingredients in the food that you are feeding your cat. Keep in mind that your cat is a carnivore.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey