Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 6th, 2009, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

to do or not to do

Ok, so Christmas is coming and I will going home probably from around Dec 20 to Jan 4. I have checked into all transporation. I have been planning on taking my cat with me, during christmas break. The only transportation that I can take her is a plane..which I think would be extremely stressed for her, or via rail...but then I would have to somehow get to Sudbury get on the train.

The last few days, I have been wondering If I should bring her. The reason is the stress factor. And by bringing her home just for 3 weeks, will it stress her more..then to just leave her at my apartment here. I hate hate hate to leave her for a few weeks and would miss her terribly, but If I knew that it would stress her out more to come, I would leave her at home. There is a pet service here in town.

If you had a cat that was soooo stressed to move around, would you leave her at home.

Last edited by NoahGrey; October 6th, 2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

YES! Cats are much better off in their home than traveling unless they are used to it.

Puddles can travel anywhere with me, she has been traveling since she was a kitten, but the other three, no way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks love4himies. While she is used to traveling in her carrier from apartment. total of 3 times, since she was 7 weeks. And she is 8 now. It is was probably only for a half hour drive...until a month ago, when I moved up too the Soo. It was a 9 hour drive.

I bought her a medium size dog crate for the trip for her. First, she knew that she was going somewhere, since I was packing up all her stuff. Note to self: put her in carrier, before she spects something.

Then in the car she was open mouth panting for a bit. Very stressed. SHe calmed down a bit, but was uneasy the whoe way.

ACO22
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

yes i would leave her at home. I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I got called in for work, did two doubles and wasn't in my head for a few days.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old October 6th, 2009, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi

If u are traveling on a ONR train, I would definately leave the cat at home! Our train from Cochrane to Toronto is so loud and rough it would scare your cat to death!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 6th, 2009, 07:22 PM
Senior Contributor

my biggest fear is not having anyone who I can really trust. And that bothers me. Since I just moved up here, the only people that I know is from school and the guy who lives below me. The guy is nice, but I think I would trust a pet service more. Not that he would mistreat my cat, but snooping wise.

That is why I was looking for toy or something that you can record your voice, and set it on a setting, where it goes off every 2 hours a something. I know, i know it sounds strange and i think I would be more stressed then her *lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcatharmony View Post
yes i would leave her at home. I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier, I got called in for work, did two doubles and wasn't in my head for a few days.
No problem.

ACO22
Old October 7th, 2009, 06:14 AM
Senior Contributor

could you ask a vet around your area for a "home visitor"? a lot of people volunteer to do that during the holidays
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Melinda, thanks I never thought of that. I'll call around.

ACO22
Old October 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Senior Contributor

ACO,I am not sure,3 weeks is a long time to trust your cat with a stranger,since you really don't know anyone
Either way,she will be stressed,I don't know how your cat reacts to strangers,my cats not soo good,at least at first.
On the other hand,if she's going with you,she would be in a strange home,but still with you.
We never travel with the cats,but my son stays here and the cats know him..
Without question cats are better off at home,but your situation is a little more complicated,by being new in town
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

being we are only in october, maybe you could find someone through your vet and have them over a couple of times so your cat could get to know them?
Old October 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Since your in the sault, do you have acess to go across the ditch to MI? Their is a vet their that i go to and they sell a herbal calming treat. I forget the name of it, but it is a soft chewy treat and it calms the cat down. They get one a day. When I go away, I have the person who is looking after my cats give my cats one a day. It does work, if I didn't I would come home to a destroyed house with my furniture in shreads. If you don't have access to go across the ditch then I can go get some for you. I will call the vet and get the name of it.

http://www.vetriscience.com/composure-liquid.php this is it, it also comes in a soft chew treat. I paid around 25$ (us) for a bag and their is 30 treats in a bag.

Last edited by maneater; October 7th, 2009 at 09:50 AM.