Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM

nice shiny teeth

Well the subject of teeth cleaning came up on the board and it got me thinking about how our vet would comment on just how great our late dog brews teeth always looked and I thought I would share how we did it. Ever since he was little I would go to the Sally Anne or other thrift store and buy knit toys…. They were stronger and would basically floss his teeth (we would play tug with them). We had no idea how well it was helping until he stated to get older and not play as much and sure enough we saw his teeth not look so good (they were never terrible but not all white and shiny like most of his life)
So what have you done to help not have to have your dog put under for teeth cleaning?

Michelle
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Crazy but I brush my dogs teeth. I also give them fresh bones to knaw on. Their teeth are glistening white!
Old September 18th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Geek Club CEO

Raw food. Jaida, at age one, was slated for a full dentistry at age two; the tartar buildup was already getting that bad. We intervened at age 18 months, switched to a 100% raw diet, and now there's not a spot of tartar to be found, the vets are amazed.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I brush all the teeth every time I groom--which is usually 5-7 days a week. They love it!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM

My rescue came to us with horrid, nasty teeth, but due to health issues, my vet never wanted to put her under anesthesia. He did do some periodic hand scaling on the worst areas as she would let him. My geriatric dog who just passed had pretty good teeth. He chewed toys and crunchy treats. I know now that I should have brushed his teeth more. He did have two dentals with extractions in his later years.

My little 3-year-old gets her teeth brushed a few times a week with an enzymatic gel. I use Maxi/Guard oral cleaning gel with a finger brush.
http://www.addisonlabs.com/OralCleansingGel.htm

My little girl doesn't enjoy the tooth brushing, but she tolerates me doing it. She also chews her Nylabone wishbone and toys with rope "flossers". I think this helps with her teeth. I used the Greenies with my previous two dogs and they loved them, but I've read some things that scared me away from them, plus they are very expensive (and have some ingredients I question). I also had a scary choking incident with rawhide and won't give these either.

Ignorance is not an excuse, but early on in my old dog's life, I didn't know that dogs could have dental issues beyond a broken or chipped tooth. I sure didn't know the very serious health complications that can arise from dental disease. I'm committed to my new little dog's well-being, so I do brush her teeth--and the teeth of any future pooches who enter my family.

As an FYI, if anyone does feed the Greenies treats, please do some research on these treats. I don't want to post links that may not be credible or from verified reputable sources, but you can find information on the dangers of these treats.
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:30 PM

I actually went and bought a teeth cleaning set (brush, finger brush and dog tooth paste) the other day and thought I would give that a try too… (start wile their young right ) i did try it with Brew but he was to old and soooo didn't like that (good thing the toys worked ).