Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 13th, 2009, 10:14 PM
You can call me DOG!

Exclamation Buyer Beware!

First and foremost, I am so embarrassed to mention this and feel totally awful but I want for you to be aware of what COULD potentially happen to your pet too.

I bought this dog toy from a local dollar store. (I went and bought a new one to show you how it looked at the time of purchase).

Name:  101_1766.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  50.8 KB

Dogs had great fun until Gryphon decided to have a gnaw at it by himself. After a few minutes, this is what it looked like.

Name:  101_1719.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  100.8 KB

And this is what Gryphon looked like after those few minutes!

Name:  101_1715.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  93.2 KB

This picture was taken after it healed a bit but he was bleeding around his eye from the punctured sharp plastic! So the moral of this thread is BUYER BEWARE! This toy must be used under adult supervision or not purchased as all!

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:28 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

How the heck did he do that?! Was the rascal swinging it around?

Poor Gryphon! Lucky he didn't get it in the eye!

We actually have some very similar looking toys in the toy basket--we use them as tuggies in the winter, but found out, like you, that the plastic can be chewed and the ropes shred. So they're now only used under close supervision and they're not allowed to take them off on their own.

Heal up quick, Gryphon!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well I tell you Hazel...it was a matter of minutes before he had the plastic chewed up! He was just laying out in the back porch having a gnaw then I bent down to pet him and noticed the blood and gouges around his eye!

We've been monitoring his eye cause it has become somewhat bloodshot and worrisome.

I was just googling the tag on the toy and found the importers so I'm gonna do a little investigating and try to get some satisfaction.

I'm so p#*ssed off right now for the dumb nutts that thought this would be a safe toy for an animal to play with and of course....it's Made In China!

Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww...poor Gryphon, hope he heals up quickly. I've had similar toys before and for some reason, those plastic parts MUST COME OFF at all costs. The other ones that get ripped up are the plush toys with rope arms and legs. Those ropes just gotta go. Mine shred stuff like that so quickly that I stopped buying anything like that, even though they never hurt themselves like Gryphon did. To me it ended up being more economical in the long run to just sink the money into some really good toys (like Kong and Nylabone products) than to keep replacing the cheap ones. Sometimes I will get a couple of new rope toys, but just the ropes with the knots on the ends. For some reason they don't tend to rip them up as quickly as if they have plastic parts or balls or anything else attached.

ETA: I also got a little worried about where the toys are made. Usually the stuffing in the plush ones is white polyester but once when mine ripped open a plush squeaky ball it had a strange looking dark coloured denser stuffing. More fibrous (sp?) looking. Made me wonder what it really was made from and I took it away from them.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com

Last edited by Gail P; September 13th, 2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old September 13th, 2009, 10:48 PM
You can call me DOG!

I hear ya Gail...most of the toys we purchase are good, longlasting toys (take Mr. Piggy for instance!)

This was just a quick "hey that looks like a nice sturdy rope toy" and threw it in the shopping basket not even thinking about the thick, heavy plastic thing in the middle. Unfortunately, it has caused a great deal of concern.

Like I said, I'm really heartbroken and embarassed about my poor boy's outcome but I just wanted other's to take a second look when throwing cheap dollarstore pet toys into their carts.

Old September 13th, 2009, 11:13 PM

Wow... ty for the info. I have 2 of those for my boys.. but they are still too small to actually chew it to the point of snapping the plastic. Will have to supervise them while they play with that. Hope Gryphon heals up quickly.
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

In the past I've bought lots of dollar store toys for my guys but they're just so hard on the toys that I found I had to get ones more durable. Those rope toys would probably be fine for dogs that just want to play tug or fetch and weren't determined to chew them apart.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old September 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Gryphon. Hope he feels better soon!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old September 14th, 2009, 08:05 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well I did it!

I did some investigating and ended up finding an e-mail address for the CFO of the dollarstore. So I fired off an e-mail this afternoon and attached these pictures.

Within an hour, a lady from the dollar store's corporate office called my house and asked if either she could have someone come to my house to pick up the toy or if I could return it to the point of purchase.

So I piled Gryphon into my car and drove it back to the store. The manager moved forward to give me a refund to which I declined. I told her that the 1.45 wasn't worth all my aggravations and that they should focus on advising their customers of a warning instead or just take the damn toy off the shelf!

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:11 PM
You can call me DOG!

Further update!!!

The chew toy was couriered today back to corporate office for analysis.

After discussing this with fellow co-workers yesterday, a colleague of mine brought in the exact same chew toy with the hard plastic chewed up from her little guy. Fortunately, he never ended up with gouges in his face but it still had the same effect.

There's this old saying; If you're satisfied with something you'll tell some friends. If you're dissatisfied, you'll tell everyone!"

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Good work!

How is Gryphon healing?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 15th, 2009, 09:24 PM
You can call me DOG!

The gouges are healing up o.k.

I've also been monitoring the redness in his third eyelid and it appears to healing up well too.

Mollie's schedule to see our vet next week so I'm gonna bring him in too just for a glance over as well.

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:27 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

That's a good idea! Is Mollie giving Gryphon a break while he heals or is she still subjecting him to her mischief?

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
You can call me DOG!

Well she's tear assing around the house/yard and she'll go full tilt at him with with a full body slam!

I wish Gryphon would put her in her spot but, he's such a panzy!

It must be just his demeanor?

Old September 15th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my goodness! That is scary. I am so glad his eye is healing well!

I am very careful to only buy dog toys made in the US or Canada now after the scare a few years ago of the Walmart dog toys made in China that were found to have lead and other contamanents in them. They concluded the levels weren't high enough to cause damage, but I don't care, I won't take that risk. Yikes! I had some of those Walmart toys and threw them all away and now always check to see where it was made before buying it.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...recalls74.html

How sad that we have to worry about things like this happening!
Old September 15th, 2009, 10:00 PM
You can call me DOG!

Wow! Thanks for the link Smiley!

if I offend anyone here but China really needs to smartin up their act as far as man kind and man's best friend's well being!

They're products are becoming a real hazard to our society!

Old September 17th, 2009, 04:24 PM
You can call me DOG!

UPDATE TO MY UPDATE!

I took Gryphon to the vet this afternoon rather than waiting. The vet did a flourescein staining on the cornea and thank DAWG--there were no scratches!

He does have a mild case of Conjunctivitis from the trauma and the vet prescribed BNP Ointment.

Oh BTW...the store where I purchased the toy advised that they will reimburse my vet costs!

Old September 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
owned by Tucker

I never buy Tucker toys from the dollar stores he is just too rough on them, hope your guy is better soon.
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:11 PM
You can call me DOG!

Thanks Doggy Lover and yes! Gryphon's feeling much better.

I think we'll stick to all these safe, non-hazardous toys from here on in!

Name:  101_1036.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  88.6 KB

These are MY toys!

Last edited by Dee-O-Gee; September 18th, 2009 at 10:23 PM.
Old September 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
Oh BTW...the store where I purchased the toy advised that they will reimburse my vet costs!
That's great!! Glad he didn't have any major damage to his eyes.

Heal fast, Gryphon! Molly needs her punching ba...urm... I mean she needs her playmate back!

Old September 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
Garden nut

Poor doggie, hope he's healing OK!

I don't touch the toys from the dollar store. Well, I lie.. I did buy something once and Sandy shredded it within about 5 minutes and I figured dollar store dog toys were a waste of money. I stick with Kong and durable hard rubber fetch balls from Canadian Tire.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old September 19th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Senior Contributor

This link was shared with me yesterday, and I immediately thought of this thread! Very useful to see how a brand or toy ranks for toxicity! But I'm so glad he's feeling better now and that's great the store will reimburse medical costs!

http://www.healthystuff.org/
Old September 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
You can call me DOG!

CearcaQC: I'm like you. I did the unthinkable and bought ONE...JUST ONE TOY from the dollar store and this is what happened. Durable strong toys as we have had in the past from now on!

Thanks Smiley for the link. It's unfortunate that we have to keep a close eye on what we or our furbabies have in and around our surroundings.

Madame Hazel: Mollie's got her punching ba....urm...Gryphon back but she's only allowed to aim below the belt...for now!