Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 27th, 2007, 07:38 PM

Quebec Puppy Mill

Ok, so I only heard a little bit of the news story, but some guy in Quebec went to court today for having a puppy mill! They showed pictures that were enough to turn your stomach.....over 100 dogs (all small type) in cages, covered in feces, the guys house was disgusting, the floors were just a foot thick of feces and fur! All of this happened a year ago (I think???)

He has been charged but not given the fine yet. They interviewed an SPCA guy from Ontario who stated that Ontario has approx 310 animal control officers.....Quebec has 3!!!!!! Is that possible or did I misunderstand that???

Theu guy is even going to try and get custody back of a beautiful terrier that has found a new forever home. His fines don't amount to sh@t!!! He will be banned from owning/breeding for 5 years. They guy looks about 40ish so that means he will still be able to start over!!!!!!!

When will Quebec finally clue in???????????????

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBoo View Post
Ontario has approx 310 animal control officers.....Quebec has 3!!!!!! Is that possible or did I misunderstand that???
You heard right !!!! I think you're talking about the guy from Blainville ? The seizure was about 2 years ago. Last I heard , the trial was delayed and yes , most of the terriers have been adopted except for 19 who are still in foster care because he wants them back !!! Could you imagine , fostering a dog for almost 2 years and having to give him/her back to this idiot if he's found not guilty ? If we're talking about the same guy , you would never guess but ... he's a psychologist !!! And they had to tear his house down because it was too unhealthy !
Old November 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM
-

This is what I'm talking about : http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread....d=1#post507107

and he has been found guilty !!!
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM

Yes, that's him!!!!!

so, what will Quebec do about it???????

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:18 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBoo View Post
Yes, that's him!!!!!

so, what will Quebec do about it???????
Probably nothing because our laws and politicians suck
Old November 27th, 2007, 09:24 PM

So, what has to happen to make a difference.

I am totally appalled by this.....I have heard about puppy mills, but NEVER seen anything so disgusting! I do agree with spay/neuter but obviously it isn't getting through, it isn't enough???

Damn, I am MAD!

sorry...just had to vent....:sad:

Old November 27th, 2007, 09:33 PM
-

This was more of a dog collector. They start off with good intentions (his mom was a breeder and she died) so he kept all the dogs and they kept breeding but he "loved" them too much to sell them so it got out of hands. It's a sickness.

I think puppy mills are far worse, these people used animals for their own profits. They are over 1500 puppy mills in Québec. This year , about 3-4 were closed down by spca Monteregie and Montreal. (I think , there could be more but not heard about them) So that leaves about 1497 !!! And that's only puppy mills , you also have those lovely BYB !
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:00 AM
Garden nut

Today was the first time I'd seen that puppy mill case. Awful... just awful. I cried when looking at the photos. It's not normal for a human to live in that sort of an environment of filth, let alone animals. That alone speaks volumes and that man needs serious psychiatric care and should never be allowed to professionally breed animals again. But then again there's nothing to stop him from being a BYB should he be granted the ability to live on his own again.

I don't understand how anyone could let their pets get in such bad shape as that man did. It was mentioned he was a psychologist? Was he working at the time all this was going on? If he was, I wonder if his patients could smell the poop and pee odors on his clothes?

According to this quote, they don't want to do anything that undermines the breeder industry's profit.

Quote:
n the words of Mr. Pierre Barnoti, general director of the SPCA, “the fact the SPCA has not yet been chosen to enforce the law P-42 has deep roots. One of the chairs of the Board of Directors of this paragovernmental organization is the official representative of the dog breeding industry. This industry openly lobbies the government to enact laws and rules that can be intentionally cruel in their hunt for profit. How can we seriously hope for improvement, when the sole goal of the industry’s representative is profit, pure and simple?
That came from http://www.spcamontreal.com/apprenez1.php?lg=en

Plus the law is old and they don't feel like changing it. Maybe they are still busy thinking about separation? lol

I still feel profit is the main driving force behind all this. It's even reflected in the only local vet. When I started talking about holistic pet care and raw food diets, he seemed to scoff. He wasn't condescending, but changed the subject real fast. I think he knows deep down what's best for animals, but is also driven by profit and promotes products for the large industries.

Things like this will never, ever change until people change their ways of thinking and we stop being bombarded by advertisements on TV and elsewhere for commercially available pet food/care products.

Gotta go grass roots for this sort of stuff. Need a wacky Alex Jones type representative for animal rights out there screaming through a megaphone and publicly pitching fits on street corners about lack of public education of animals. lol
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old November 28th, 2007, 08:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I just read the original post on this puppy mill. How sad!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old November 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM
-

Ontario has approx 170 cruelty investigators that are mandated by the OSPCA. Animal Control Officers are hired on municipal contracts, they don't have the same authority. The animal cruelty laws in this country go back to Victorian times. Ontario has the worst animal cruelty laws in the country. They say they are going to revise them. As usual they will spend $$$$$ on reviewing and then do absolutely nothing.