Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 4th, 2010, 08:58 PM

Adoption of two senior dogs cont'd

I have started a new thread New Senior Dogs to Meet Our 4 Cats
because the female has definitely diagnosed with advanced lymphoma. :sad:

I emailed the rescuer this afternoon to tell her that my son and I would take both dogs now before she passes away no matter what the diagnosis is. I told her the important thing at this time was to keep them both together, until she passes away. She emailed me back to say that the diagnosis was advanced lymphoma in the female.

She also said that the male has found a new friend, her niece that is staying with her. The female has found a buddy, another dog in her care, and they lie curled up together most of the time and neither pay much attention to each other now. She thinks the male would separate easily from the female because he bonds with people better than with other dogs, including his longtime mate. She thinks he is a one person dog now, after watching their behaviour over the last week.

So I will hear from her tomorrow after the board of directors decides what is best for both dogs. However, it sounded to me like the male will really miss her niece and may end up staying with her instead of being adopted out. If that is the case, it's back to the drawing board, looking for another dog to adopt.
Old January 4th, 2010, 09:07 PM

what type of dog are you looking to adopt?
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:00 PM
-

So sorry for the lymphoma diagnoses :sad:

if you don't get to adopt them , there's many .... many others waiting for their forever homes
Old January 4th, 2010, 10:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sad for that poor girl, but it does sound like she and her buddy are in good hands, however they decide.

I know that however the board decides, at some point you'll find the perfect new addition(s) to your family.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 5th, 2010, 03:01 AM
-

dbg10, sorry to hear about the senior girl. :sad:

If the male ends up being adopted by the niece then I'm sure it will have a wonderful home.

And, as already mentioned, there are so many other seniors that need forever homes .....and bless you for wanting to give them a home.
Old January 5th, 2010, 08:25 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Have you heard the board's decision, yet, dbg?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:31 PM
-

dbg10 , where is Ajax exactly ? In Ontario ?
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:32 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

about 45 minutes away from me frenchy.
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:39 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
about 45 minutes away from me frenchy.
so about 7 hours from Quebec.... hum .....

thanks aslan
Old January 5th, 2010, 09:59 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

pfffft 6 for me....5 and a half is grace is sleeping in the car.
Old January 5th, 2010, 10:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
pfffft 6 for me....5 and a half is grace is sleeping in the car.
Old January 6th, 2010, 03:13 PM

Sorry about the delay answering everyone but I hadn't heard a thing from the rescuer until this morning and I really thought I wasn't going to get either of them. The board's decision was for the male to come and live with us ...more after I answer your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
So sorry for the lymphoma diagnoses :sad:

if you don't get to adopt them , there's many .... many others waiting for their forever homes
Yes it is very sad I hope she goes peacefully and painfree.

Yes sadly there are so many others out there with no homes :sad:
but AFAIK the only way to adopt an animal is to look for one who needs a new home.

Quote:
dbg10 , where is Ajax exactly ? In Ontario ?
I am just east of Toronto south of the 401. About 5-6 hours west of Montreal as Aslan said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
dbg10, sorry to hear about the senior girl.

If the male ends up being adopted by the niece then I'm sure it will have a wonderful home.
I really expected the niece would keep him so I was really surprised when they said the male would be coming to live with us. He is a real cutey and I am really looking forward to having another dog around. He is perfect in every way, except he is older than I had hoped but he looked so active and healthy that he wasn't showing his almost 12 years at all

I have no idea how he'll settle in though because I expect he will miss both her niece and the rescuer as well as his mate and the other dogs. The decision about the female was made because she had bonded with the other dog, and the lymphoma is advanced so she has little time left. :sad: The rescuer said the decision could be rethought about us taking the female too, if he doesn't settle in well.

She hopes to call me tonight if she has time, to set a time when she can bring him here. (I broke my foot in late November and haven't been able to drive since) I am really looking forward to having him here, he is the black one in the picture. Unfortunately the pictures leaves a lot to be desired and I'll take new ones once he arrives and post them.

He seemed to really like my son during the visit, he kept insisting on being patted by putting his head under his hand every time he stopped patting him, so that is a good sign and may help him adjust to the move. His original owner was a priest so he may bond well with males over females. He certainly wasn't shy with me when he was here, either.

To be honest with you, during the visit, I thought the female looked sick. She certainly wasn't as bouncey or interested as the male was, and she had that "look" about her that she wasn't well. I think all of you familiar with dogs will know the 'look' I mean. That's one of the reasons I wasn't surprised when the diagnosis was lymphoma. I didn't mention it before because I was hoping against hope that I was wrong. I just keep hoping that all works out well for both of them

I am going out to buy him some food and a new toy or two. I am going to buy small bags of the food he's on atm and then decide the food I will wean him onto. I really don't want to make an abrupt change because he will have enough trouble settling in, without introducing new food. I'll have his complete medical history and hopefully it will have the food he's been on most of his life, listed. If it's a quality food, then I'll put him back on that, but if not, I'll decide once he's been here a week or two and shows signs of adjusting.

Thanks for all the advice and support through this, you guys are fantastic
Attached Images

Last edited by dbg10; January 6th, 2010 at 03:22 PM. Reason: correction
Old January 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianna079 View Post
what type of dog are you looking to adopt?
sorry I forgot to answer your question brianna. If I look for another dog it would be a medium size senior > 7 yrs old. Preferably a breed that likes to swim and because we don't have a big backyard a breed that doesn't need a lot of exercise. (the inground pool takes up most of it and is completely fenced for safety) We do have a fenced area of grass about 35 X 40 ft joined to a covered area about 10 x 20 ft at the side of the house. I would consider a dog that needed little exercise because it had a medical condition as long as it wasn't expensive to treat. Male or female, neutered/spayed and be able to live with cats.

The first two dogs we had, who lived here together, were very large dogs 110lb lab/shepX and an 80 lb Golden Retriever. They were not overweight and had enough exercise to keep them healthy but I don't think I could handle large breed dogs now. I haven't mentioned before that I am disabled and have to use a walker, so a large breed dog might have a problem with the space limitations created by my walker and this house isn't very large. I had no limitations when we had the big dogs, so it wasn't an issue then.

I thought if the male has a problem living by himself without another dog, instead of taking the female away from the home she's become used to for the short time she has left, I might look for another dog that could bond with him. In that case, I would look for a dog with the above characteristics.
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:30 PM

He arrives on Sunday afternoon...I can't wait
Old January 6th, 2010, 09:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Congratulations, dbg!! We'll need lots of pictures, of course

Old January 6th, 2010, 09:37 PM
-

wooohooo !

I was waiting to see what would happen ... I was wondering where was Ajax because ..... I know of a cute little 7 yr old cocker / jack russel mix looking for a home

But you're getting the little guy now , what's his name by the way ?
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:46 AM
-

Congratulations and I'm sure he will settle in just fine with you.

Sorry about his sister but I do hope she passes peacefully and without pain.

Looking forward to more pics and your next update.
Old January 7th, 2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
wooohooo !

I was waiting to see what would happen ... I was wondering where was Ajax because ..... I know of a cute little 7 yr old cocker / jack russel mix looking for a home

But you're getting the little guy now , what's his name by the way ?
i was actually really surprised when she said he was ours, I really thought her niece would keep him, but apparently she thinks her niece is too young to take on the responsibility of a dog (obviously she's younger than I thought when I met her) So I feel sorry for the niece, but very happy the rescuer made this choice.

I was originally told his name was 'Riggs' by the initial person I contacted, then this rescuer told me it is 'Raggs'. So I await his medical history to find out his exact name He's a real cutey no matter what his name is.

I'll wait and see how he adjusts, you never know if I'm going to have to look for another puppy to keep him company. I was always under the impression that Jack Russels were not good with cats, maybe a X breed is different or its the way they live in their early years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Congratulations and I'm sure he will settle in just fine with you.

Sorry about his sister but I do hope she passes peacefully and without pain.

Looking forward to more pics and your next update.
Thanks Hazel and Rainbow, it is very sad about the female, hopefully she lives out her time peacefully and painfree and not grieving for him. :sad: However, she has found a new doggy friend who snuggles with her on her bed most of the time, so as long as that continues, she shouldn't have a problem when he leaves her.

I'm now more concerned about how he's going to settle, not having another dog around. He's lived with her, then with other dogs at the rescuer's home and only time will tell if he settles in easily.
Mind you he will have my dog-cat Smokey, who loves dogs and acts more like a dog than a cat.

I plan to take lots of pictures once he's been here a day or so and settled in a bit.

The rescuer makes really nice winter coats out of old ski jackets, for all of the dogs who stay with her. I offered to buy Raggs coat and she said she will give it to me. They seem to be a wonderfully supportive group for their dogs and I am so glad I found them

everyone! as always you are all very knowledgeable and helpful. I will continue the story once he arrives and will post pictures when I get them. I can't wait for Sunday