Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:03 PM

2!!!!

I got my two brothers 5 years ago... Always had dogs so these were my first kitty kits. I could't imagine life without them! And they are quite the pair... And yes, with two big dogs and two big cats, I eat plenty of furbre, but it's a happy home.
Cats are so different... But they make my life complete.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollywog View Post
Thanks 14+, I am sure I will have plently more questions!! Just out of curiosity, how many litter boxes do you have for 14 cats!?!?!
She probably has kids sand boxes NOT litter boxes in a special potty room!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Mollywog, I have 3 boxes. I consider myself lucky my five share 3 boxes. I use Swheat Scoop. I clean the boxes daily and I try to keep the boxes full. They get new litter every two weeks, and every week I buy a box and just refresh what they have.

You might know, Maks and Kiska are brother and sister. When I found them I couldn't bring myself to separate them. For the first couple of months they never left each others side. They clung to each other, and often slept together. I think being together helped them settle in faster. They totally adore each other. They still play with each other a lot and like to cuddle up now and them.

If you are considering one, please consider two siblings. Two really isn't any more trouble than one.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:49 AM
Senior Contributor

MW,I have 2 Rubbermaid large boxes for 3 cats,it works out fine...
Old July 3rd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I have 5 cats and three litter boxes. I am been very fortunate that none are that picky. Mind you - I keep it very clean. It is changed once a week completely and scooped anywhere from 3-whatever times a day. People cannot believe I have 5 cats as my place is not stinky either!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Slave to the Kitties

I have 8 litterboxes.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:16 AM

Mollywog - word of warning to someone who has a dog. Many dogs like to eat cat poo. If you decide to use clumping cat litter you MUST make absolutely certain that your dog CANNOT get at the litter boxes. Clumping cat litter clogs up thier intestine requiring immediate (expensive) surgery. Plus, cats tend to object to using a litter box with a dog sitting there intently watching them.
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old July 3rd, 2009, 09:33 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

We installed a swinging baby gate in our spare room to keep the dogs out. Now it's Rupert's Room and he has his food, toys, and litter (in the closet) in there. The swinging feature on the gate is nice so we don't have to hurdle it every time we need to get in there.

Having a dog I think it's best that if you get cats, they need a space for all their stuff that the dogs can't go. Otherwise the dogs will eat the cat food, could choke on small cat toys, and possibly dig in and snack from the litterbox.

As far as litter I think you'll find your preference through trial and error. I wanted to be eco-friendly and used Feline Fresh for a while, but because it is so light it tracks EVERYWHERE and I hated the pine smell. Reluctantly, I've switched back to a clay litter for now
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 3rd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Pet Guardian

Quote:
I almost forgot- pictures from the resuce's website!!
get the tabby the tabby. they are the best!!!! I have 1 tabby and we LOVE each other!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Thanks 14+, I am sure I will have plently more questions!! Just out of curiosity, how many litter boxes do you have for 14 cats!?!?!
Who's got 14 cats!
Actually mollywog, double that number and you would have it right.
I have 5 cats in the house. For them I have 3 boxes. I have been extremely fortunate in that they have never had an issue sharing. They all, except Mylee, grew up within a few months of each other. Mylee is so laid back it doesn't matter to her as long as one is available when she needs it.
At the moment there are three kitties in the garage waiting to be moved to their new home. Two large crates with a box in each crate.
KMK of course has his own box.
In the cat house I have a covered box, a regular sized box and two very large storage boxes.
So, that's 10 boxes.
Then I have one corner of the catuary where I have put down a layer of pine shavings. They use it as well. It is cleaned daily and changed out every week to week and a half depending on weather.
But you are not talking a crazy number of cats. You are only talking about getting 4, right?

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:14 PM
Slave to the Kitties

Quote:
In the cat house I have a covered box, a regular sized box and two very large storage boxes.
You have a cat house?
Ok i didnt know about that, knew about you haveing cats indoors and in the 'caturary', but what is the 'cat house' ?

And yes she should get 4.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
Molly's mama

oh wow, this thread just won't stop!!
I had a chat with DH about it last night and he said he doesn't think we should get a cat. (or more than 1 cat for that matter ). He said he thinks the novelty will wear off quickly and that we won't have anywhere to put the cat when we are on vacation and that he doesn't want it coming on trips with us like Molly does.
Looks like this might be a tougher sell than I thought.
Has anyone seen that commercial with the lady and the "pack" of shoes that "follow her home" from the mall??? Maybe that might "accidentally" happen to me with kittehs next time I go into the pet supply store??
Old July 3rd, 2009, 03:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
But you are not talking a crazy number of cats. You are only talking about getting 4, right?
Snicker, snicker.

Cats are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one and who would know better than 14+

I only had one litter box between Snowball and Puddles, they were both tiny so nothing big was deposited.

I now have 3, 2 downstairs and one in our ensuite.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:01 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwina View Post
You have a cat house?
Ok i didnt know about that, knew about you haveing cats indoors and in the 'caturary', but what is the 'cat house' ?

And yes she should get 4.

Edwina - Follow the link to the "cathouse" thread.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59044

The "catuary" is an enclosure that covers approx 1/4 of an acre. Probably a little more. You have seen pics of part of it when you saw the thread about the black kitty. It has evolved over the past year or so from a very run down enclosure to something that is actually pretty cool. I will see if I can find the thread that shows most of the enclosure.

These are the threads that show most of the catuary.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62345

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62346

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!

Last edited by 14+kitties; July 3rd, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Edwina,I've been to 14+'s house and catuary and it's wonderful,I could sit in there for hours watching the kitties,it's a great set-up,they have trees,lots of grass and a huge area where they can hide if need be.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Snicker, snicker.

Cats are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one and who would know better than 14+
Ok, in my defense....... oh heck, I have no defense. :sad: Guilty as charged.

Old July 3rd, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Belive me,if I could have more cats I would,I just love my 3 to bits.
Mollywog,I don't know how your husband feels about cats,if he really likes them,I would take home two kittens and i am sure he'd love them,who wouldn't
But all jokes aside,if he honestly does not like cats,it might not be a good idea to trick him,some people just do not like cats.
My husband years ago did not use to like cats,you should hear the conversations he has with out 3 now
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Mollydog, I never use to like cats. I wouldn't hurt them, but I had no use for them at all! Didn't understand why people like them. I was a dog person.

Then Willie was born in our garage and left there when momma took the other 5 and left him, runt. I brought him in the house after 5 hrs of listening to him meow and I later fell in love with him. That was 7 years ago and now I am crazy about cats! I wish I could have more. I find them so funny and entertaining it's like watching a reality show.

So I'm sure once TWO kitties follow u home your hubs will grow to love them too!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

DH-to-be can't stand cats. Still complains about Rupert and calls him names....but I catch him at least once a day with Rupert on his lap, purring away or giving him a belly rub. Trust me, your hubby will give in once he sees them. And cats are so low maintenance....it's not hard to get someone to look in on them if you go away.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old July 5th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

DH is allergic to cats and couldn't give them the time of day. Got a kitten just after we were married and we have had at least one since then. Now Puddles is his little sweet heart and all the fosters just love him. Often he will have the whole litter on his lap and he is all smiles . Sooooooo, hubbies can be transformed .

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:34 PM
Molly's mama

heh heh... DH and I were just out for a walk with Molly and we came across a mom and kitten sitting in someone's yard the kitten was so cute, DH actually was the one to stop and watch it first !! So that was encouraging
...until he said "The problem with kittens is that they grow up to be cats"
Old July 7th, 2009, 09:41 PM
Kitty pimp

lol tell me about it but if you do it right they act like kittens for a long time
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
heh heh... DH and I were just out for a walk with Molly and we came across a mom and kitten sitting in someone's yard the kitten was so cute, DH actually was the one to stop and watch it first !! So that was encouraging
Yeah, but he'll fall in love and bond with the kitten, so when kitty grows into a cat he'll love it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Exactly what I was going to say A-G
But there are many people who just don't like cats,most of them have never experienced a purry loving kitty
To be honest,it is risky to bring a cat to someone who don't see how wonderful they are and the negativity will affect the cat,but you never know..
Old July 8th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

My father has never been a cat person. 15 years ago I found a cat in a very bad way (long story I will share in a new thread one day soon unfortunately:sad. Anyways - he has lived with my parents since. He is now very ill and it is only a matter of time. My mom of course is extremely upset but my father is devastated.

Once someone gets to know what cats are all about - this is the turning point. Once you have one - you are hooked for life. They are spectacular animals and I really cannot figure out why some people do not like them. It's beyond me really.
Old July 8th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Yes, but by that time you are so friggen attached to them, that being an adult kitty just doesn't matter

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

My husband too,thought kitties was not more than vermin,so we had dogs.
But then a siamese/himmieX cat(belonging to a neighbor,where we used to live)got so attached to hubby and hubby to him,so when we moved,we asked if we could take him with us and we did.
Hubby has had a love-affair with kitties ever since

Ben-Max,sorry about your parents kitty,hope your dad will be ok,when the dreadful day comes he has to let go of his kitty.