Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 24th, 2015, 03:17 PM

Saint Bernard heart problem

I got my 4 year old saint bernard to the veterinar, because he did not eat and was really passive. He told me that these dogs dont live longer than 5 years and that he has maximum of half a year left to live, because of his heart. He said if he was a human they would put a heart stimulator in him, but since he is a dog he just gave me some pills. Is that right that dogs cant have an electronic heart stimulating device? How come that my dog will die so young?!
Old February 24th, 2015, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/saintbernard.htm

This web site said they live to 8 -10 years old. Maybe you should see a another vet for a second opinion . I had a vet that tell me me my 3 yo
Stranded Poodle had a heart murmur and that he needed a $200 x ray right away ! My dog was a hearing dog and all dogs have to pass health exam's before starting any training . I brought my dog to another vet and his heart was fine .
Old February 24th, 2015, 09:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We have a dog that is in congestive heart failure, if that's what your dog has? She was coughing and lethargic. They put her on Furosemide to keep the water from building up in her chest and Enalapril to increase her heart function. Then they added something called Vetmedin (pimobendan). It's evidently a fairly new drug that has been shown to help with heart function--but because it augments cardiac output, it can't always be used (depending on what the problem was that led to the heart failure). At any rate, she started the meds 2 yrs ago and is still going strong. It won't cure her heart failure, but it bought her some time.

So, depending on what's wrong with your dog's heart, the meds could certainly give you more time.

As for the 5-yr life span, that's not true. I've heard 7 - 10 years is average. There will always be dogs that fall outside that average range (I've met an 11-yr old Saint) but to tell you that none of them live past the age of 5 is just plain cruel. If it were me, I'd be considering a vet change--I want one that isn't going to give up on my dog just because he's "too old"...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 15th, 2015, 03:40 AM

The lifespan is between 8-10 years, I haven't had about an artificial heart for a dog yet. however, a second opinion can make a difference, i suggest you seek the services of different vet. Things might turn out well. Otherwise i wish you the best i hope you dog gets better.
Old April 15th, 2015, 04:11 AM

In normal weather conditions i would suggest letting your dog step out freely without bothering about clothing. Like you said it seems that your dog is not comfortable with the dressing idea so i guess letting it be a dog is the best way to go.