Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 26th, 2005, 10:48 PM

Need tips to get dog to drink more water

I was just wondering if anyone has any tips to try and get my dog to drink more water. It's not that she's sick or unhealthy in any way but I would like to see her water consumption increase. I know the general response would be "If she's thirsty she'll drink" but she rarely does. I have noticed that when we're out playing and I bring a doggie water bottle/dish she seems to like drinking it from the stream as I'm squirting it into the dish. Is there anything out there that would give her this same drinking excitement that she could do on her own? I know this is a strange question but I'd appreciate it if anyone has gone through this and found some alternatives to putting a dish out for the dog. Thanks
Old January 26th, 2005, 11:46 PM
Senior Contributor

If you really NEED to get more water in...

OKAY please don't jump all over me for babying my dog. If I hold the bowl of water Dalton wil drink two bowls. If I put it down he will drink half a bowl and then let Google have a drink. Having it served to him must make it taste better.

Also cold water seems to be favoured over room temp.
Old January 27th, 2005, 09:53 AM

I give mine warm chicken broth on cold days and she drinks all of it right down.
Old January 27th, 2005, 12:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Jake HAS to drink with his food as he is on medication, so I make him "soup" just mix it in with his dry food--he'll drink it because he wants the food as well, and the soup doesn't have to be complicated...sometimes I'm in a rush and just shake some garlic into the water....BUT NO ONIONS, OR ONION POWDER!!! They are toxic to dogs.
Old January 27th, 2005, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LassieFan
I give mine warm chicken broth on cold days and she drinks all of it right down.
As long as it's homemade soup and not Oxo, this is a perfect solution. If it's Oxo, you have to watch the salt intake. Even the "low sodium" version is very high in sodium and should be limited.
Old January 27th, 2005, 05:54 PM
banned user

Since you said she'll drink from a stream when you're pouring it maybe she'll drink it from one of those water fountains on her own?
They're kind of pricey for a dog bowl, but I have seen cheaper.
http://www.fancypaws.com/petwafo.html
Old January 27th, 2005, 08:02 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ciara drinks water twice a day..sometimes only once. When she does you would think she was a camel.

In the first 3 years of her life water consumption was a problem, this was due to the misdiagonisis of Addisons Syndrome by the evil vet I worked for. All the steroids Ciara was on caused her to be nervous & jerky and she hugged the water bowl. I could never keep it filled!

In the summer months she may take a extra drink...now she takes only what she needs.
Old January 28th, 2005, 01:04 PM

type of food

if you feed your dog canned food (which is 75% water) she will drink less but if you feed dry food (20% water) she will drink more
Old January 30th, 2005, 11:28 AM

There we go, I never thought about that one. She does get a wet/dry mix of food so that makes complete sense. Thanks.
Old January 30th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisj23
There we go, I never thought about that one. She does get a wet/dry mix of food so that makes complete sense. Thanks.
Dehydration is more common in Florida....I am sure your dog is fine. You can try adding ice cubes to her water if you feel the consumption is not up to par. You can always check your pets hydration by picking up the skin on the nape of the neck (scruff). If it falls back into place, all is well. If it hesitate's or stands....call your vet.