Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 15th, 2008, 10:43 AM

Question Help - I'm pooped out!!

Hi all,

Could use some advice. Have a new puppy - 8 1/2 week old German Shorthair. He is very cute. We've had him for about 72 hours now and he insists on pooping in the house. If we let him go outside - he pees regularly but poop - that's a different question.

To top it off - it is rather loose and we only have carpet.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:49 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

welcome to the forum and congrats on the new furbaby.. Ok down to business. your little man is gonna take a little bit to get the idea, it's up to you to show him. Don't give him free rain to run around, either keep an eagle eye on him for the tell tale signs, or keep him leashed to you. about 20 min. to half an hour after feeding take him outside and keep him out there until he poops, then when he does, whoop and hollar and make a big fuss.(worry what the neighbours think later). As for the loose stool, are you still feeding him what the place you got him from was feeding him or did you switch foods?
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
welcome to the forum and congrats on the new furbaby.. Ok down to business. your little man is gonna take a little bit to get the idea, it's up to you to show him. Don't give him free rain to run around, either keep an eagle eye on him for the tell tale signs, or keep him leashed to you. about 20 min. to half an hour after feeding take him outside and keep him out there until he poops, then when he does, whoop and hollar and make a big fuss.(worry what the neighbours think later). As for the loose stool, are you still feeding him what the place you got him from was feeding him or did you switch foods?
I second this advice.
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:10 AM
Geek Club CEO

Our new little one will poop in the house if she gets the chance...and then it's our own fault for either not watching her or not having her tied to us (as aslan suggests). She does not like to be outside on wet grass or chilly temps, and will usually try to just pee then run back inside if we let her outside off-leash. I have to take her on the leash and walk her or else she will not poop. I also found a "spot" in the yard where she will pretty reliably poop. Walk around with your little guy and try to use the same spot every time once he goes. You could also collect a poop from inside if there's an accident, and put it in the place you want him to go, so the smell is already there.
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old September 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

When my dog was that young, I found a short brisk walk really helped to get things "movin". If I just took him out to the yard, he'd usually just pee. but if we went for a short brisk walk up the road, he usually had to do #2 somewhere along the way. (plus it helps start leash manners anyways).
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup I agree with everyone's suggestions..

my puppy Diamond is 12wks (we got her @ 9wks and since then 15-20minutes after she eats she will poop. we walk around backyard & have a certain "spot" that she goes to.

patience & it will come
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:36 PM
NOT a senior member

I agree with the walking thing. Whenever I need my dogs to "go"...such as before being crated or me having to leave them for a bit, a brisk walk up the road does wonders.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old September 15th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Also, to encourage outside business, I use the command 'hurray up'. I scrunch the poop bag and they understand that it is time to go. You must also evaluate how many times the dog is pooping. Is it once in the morning or if you extend your walks that it is one and then followed by another then you know not to go back indoors until number 2 is done again.

I as well take the dogs in a familiar area where they are 'encouraged' by nature to relieve themselves.