Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 27th, 2010, 10:04 AM
Senior Contributor

This is a sad story

This is so sad when you think you have hired someone to care for you pets.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...16:g4:r1:c0:b0
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Senior Contributor

That is absolutely disgusting. I hope that there will be charges pending... (yeah right!)
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:18 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Very clear case of animal neglect, indeed. This worker, allowed the cats to starve to death, period.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 27th, 2010, 10:24 AM

It's too bad he didn't just ask the neighbours, at least you know where they live... hopefully this "business" goes under, it's not exactly hard to feed and water a cat...
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I can't believe that in this day and age that this happened.

You think you are doing the best for your animals and then this. That is why I have not been on a vacation without my pupsters for years. It will probably not happen in the near future either.

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvie View Post
I can't believe that in this day and age that this happened.

You think you are doing the best for your animals and then this. That is why I have not been on a vacation without my pupsters for years. It will probably not happen in the near future either.
I hear you Sylvie. I only leave my pets (and that was years ago) with family members or a very very trusted friend who are only animal loving people.

I would SUE that company. Unfortunately money is what people understand, so I would make damn well sure it was UNDERSTOOD! So sad and needless.
Old August 27th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

I agree they should sue the comany and any money they get should go to rescue. That is what I would do.

Now on the other hand DH would probably be out for blood

Owned by

Bree 12 year old GSD
Keesha 8 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old August 27th, 2010, 12:07 PM
Senior Contributor

So sad. Yes I would sue also, just to make a point. Even if you didn't win, hopefully you would garner lots of "bad PR" for the company. They should definitely file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau or whoever handles that in their area. This is the type of thing that explains why my husband is on holidays in Italy (he was born there) and I'm at home with the dogs.
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:07 PM
Mickey, my angel

There will be more coming out about this story, according to the company's face book page. They are apparently going to issue a media release this afternoon. Sounds like they are disputing what the owner is saying.

Whatever the truth is, two apparently healthy cats are now dead and likely suffered horribly, so something is very, very wrong. So sad.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old August 27th, 2010, 01:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
There will be more coming out about this story, according to the company's face book page. They are apparently going to issue a media release this afternoon. Sounds like they are disputing what the owner is saying.

Whatever the truth is, two apparently healthy cats are now dead and likely suffered horribly, so something is very, very wrong. So sad.
Well finding two cats tossed in the field should say it all. Maybe there is a question as to who put them there? Heck who knows. Can't wait to read what will be said.
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:43 PM

how can anyone dispute that animals in their care were found dead in a park after the owner had been told they were fine...
Old August 27th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Senior Contributor

those poor poor kitties

Cats leave pawprints on our hearts forever

Eclipse July 23th 2004
Serena July 23th 2004
Stormy April 20 2007
Zoey RIP March 2006-April 2 2007
Old August 27th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Mickey, my angel

Here is story from CBC about what the company is saying:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...-reax-827.html

This is a case that is still under investigation and the police are not releasing any information at this time. Hopefully all the facts will come out after the investigation is complete.

Run free sweet Snuffy
Run free sweet Tabitha
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton

Last edited by mikischo; August 28th, 2010 at 06:05 AM.
Old August 28th, 2010, 09:15 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...-reax-827.html Creature Care president Wendy Scammell said the allegations of animal neglect against her company are false. How could it be false, she's responsible for her employees and their actions The same employee was also responsible for the death of two birds she was sitting a few years back - wonder why she didn't get fired then ?
"Pet Sitting & Dog Walking "Services" I prefer to stay away from "non-direct" services I wonder if their registered, they don't supply a government number on their site?

Run free Snuffy
Run free Tabitha

Last edited by Golden Girls; August 28th, 2010 at 11:28 AM.
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
how can anyone dispute that animals in their care were found dead in a park after the owner had been told they were fine...
It stated in the CBC article that the bodies have not been found. So the first article was incorrect. Very strange, wonder where the reporter would get the idea they were found in a park?????

Pet-sitting company denies allegations of neglect
Last Updated: Saturday, August 28, 2010 | 7:19 AM NT Comments17Recommend18
CBC News
Creature Care president Wendy Scammell said the allegations of animal neglect against her company are false. (CBC)
The owner of a St. John's–based pet sitting company is defending its reputation following allegations that one of its employees left a client's cats to die, then dumped them in a nearby park.

Iain Mcgaw said he hired Creature Care to look after his animals while he was away for two months during the summer. However, when he returned the cats were missing. He alleges the person hired to take care of them failed to do so.

Creature Care president Wendy Scammell said she's deeply saddened by the loss of two animals under its care. Scammell said the pet sitter that was assigned to Mcgaw's cats denies the allegations.

"There is a public perception that Creature Care is an uncaring organization and that we abuse animals," said Scammell. "I've had a conversation with my pet sitter ... and she has assured me that she took a polygraph test, that she passed the test and that everything he is alleging about her neglect of animals is not true."

Iain Mcgaw alleges Creature Care, the company hired to look after his cats while he was away, failed to do so. (CBC)
In an interview with CBC News on Thursday, Mcgaw said the pet sitter didn't pass the lie detector test. The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary aren't commenting on the case, but will only confirm that they are investigating.

Since Mcgaw's story first aired on Thursday, Scammell said they have been dealing with angry clients and an even angrier public. She said her company is caught in the middle.

"People who had never heard of Creature Care before are sending emails and are very upset by this," she said.

Scammell, who's been operating Creature Care since 2002, said the sitter had an impeccable record in the city and has done a lot of volunteer work with many animal organizations. However, she admits it isn't the first time she's received a complaint about her.

"There was an incident where a client returned home and his pets—two birds—had died and we weren't sure what had happened, but the pet sitter who works professionally in the pet industry said that it was maybe because the window had been left open. The client left the window open and birds are very sensitive," said Scammell, adding the incident happened about two or three years ago. In that case, the pet sitter offered to have an autopsy done, but the owner declined.

She said the actions of one person has put a blemish on her company. Scammell insists that everyone hired is thoroughly screened.

"Everybody who I hire has a demonstrated love for animals, they have a criminal record screening certificate and they're all bonded and insured and I can't do better than that," she said.

CORRECTIONS AND CLARIFICATIONS
An earlier version of this story said that Iain Mcgaw's cats were found dead in a St. John's park. Mcgaw says the bodies have not been found.
Saturday, Aug. 28, 2010/ 9:02 a.m. ET

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...#ixzz0xv49RQZw

Also, if they were babysitting birds and the window was accidentally left open, why didn't the sitter close it if it was too cold for birds . Isn't that part of taking care of the pets.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old August 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Mickey, my angel

Yes, I noticed yesterday in the comments section on the first story run by CBC, that two people who claimed they knew Mr. McGaw personally said that CBC was mistaken about the pets being found. I didn't want to mention it on here unless it was confirmed which it now has been.

Also, at the Creature Care website on the team members page there is one less person than was there yesterday so maybe the employee in question has now been let go?

Last edited by mikischo; August 28th, 2010 at 01:09 PM.
Old August 28th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG,I would be out for blood too,if anyone made my cats suffer,I think I'd go crazy
After reading it all through,they have not found the cats yet,have they
I don't know why the owner left the cats for 2 months,something I am sure none of us would do,but that's besides the fact,these people were hired to do a job and they did not.
I am lucky,my youngest son loves my cats and whenever we go away,he stays here with them.
I would not go away if someone just came in to feed them,they need so much more.

Maybe these cats got outside and are lost
Old August 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM
Compromised account

this should be investigated. This person had access to the guys house, something bizarre is going on and as a result - two cats are missing, presumed dead. UM... I see a huge problem there... And I dont know how the owner of the company can deny there is a big problem there...
I think it also should be made very public and transparent.

As far a s why the guy was gone for 2 months.. sometimes things happen and you dont really have a choice...Maybe it was work or something family related... He tried to do whats best and hired a "professional" to watch his pets... he was paying money for this service, and as a result something awful happened... I dont blame the guy at all, I just hope he gets the answers and gets some kind of closure on this, and the person responsible will be held responsible.
Old August 29th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Jennie I am not blaming the owner,the blame lies totally on the company,I hope these kitties will be found alive somewhere
Old August 29th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Compromised account

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Jennie I am not blaming the owner,the blame lies totally on the company,I hope these kitties will be found alive somewhere
I hope so too Chico! poor kitties!
the worst part is that if something terrible happened to them, theres no way to fix it.. but at least he would know and be able to maybe go after the company.... It is important to know that these things happen, so people are double-careful with whom they trust their beloved pets to.
Old August 30th, 2010, 01:33 PM
Mickey, my angel

More on this story:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...ty-charge.html

"N.L. animal agency employee gets cruelty charge
Last Updated: Monday, August 30, 2010 | 1:56 PM NT

Police in St. John's said an employee with a pet-sitting company faces a charge of animal cruelty, following a customer's complaint of neglect.

CBC News reported last week on complaints by Iain Mcgaw, who paid St. John's-based Creature Care to care for his two cats during a two-month period this summer. Mcgaw returned to find the cats missing, and alleges that the cats died on the employee's watch.

Const. Jennifer Clarke said the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary's subsequent investigation led to the charge.

"They had hired her under contract, and she was sent out to care for these cats for a period time," Clarke said. "These owners who hired her were under the impression that she was doing her job and as it turns out she wasn't and subsequently been charged."

The employee, 28, was told of the charge on Sunday. She is expected to appear in provincial court in St. John's at a later date.

Creature Care owner Wendy Scammell said Friday that although the woman resigned from the company, she believed her protestations of innocence. Scammell described the employee as a dedicated and caring woman.

Clarke said the charge relates solely to the employee.

"At no point in this investigation has the company itself nor its owners been under investigation. They had no knowledge and no involvement of the actions of the employee," she said."

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:37 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

So the kitties may be alive

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:40 PM
Mickey, my angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
So the kitties may be alive
My guess they are likely dead. Where would they be?

Old August 30th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
My guess they are likely dead. Where would they be?
I don't know. I wonder if this lady didn't feed them and they died

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

This woman says she is innocent,well,where the heck are the cats..OMG,I would have a total breakdown
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM
Mickey, my angel

The story has been updated since I posted it a couple of hours ago.

If you go to the link which I am repeating here:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundlan...ty-charge.html

the heading has been changed to read as follows:

"N.L. pet-sitter charged with cruelty in cat deaths"

so this would indicate that the cats are presumed by the police to be dead.

There are other minor changes in the story mainly that the employer is no longer defending the employee's declaration of innocence.

"N.L. pet-sitter charged with cruelty in cat deaths

Creature Care employee accused of neglecting 2 cats in her care

Last Updated: Monday, August 30, 2010 | 4:04 PM NT

Police in St. John's said an employee with a pet-sitting company faces a charge of animal cruelty, following a customer's complaint of neglect.

CBC News reported last week on complaints by Iain Mcgaw, who paid St. John's-based Creature Care to care for his two cats during a two-month period this summer. Mcgaw returned to find the cats missing, and alleges that the cats died on the employee's watch.

Const. Jennifer Clarke said the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary's subsequent investigation led to the charge.

"They had hired her under contract, and she was sent out to care for these cats for a period time," Clarke said. "These owners who hired her were under the impression that she was doing her job and as it turns out she wasn't and subsequently been charged."

The employee, 28, was told of the charge on Sunday. She is expected to appear in provincial court in St. John's at a later date.

Creature Care owner Wendy Scammell said last week she had believed her employee's protestations of innocence but informed CBC News on Monday that since police informed her of the charge that was no longer the case.

Scammell said the employee had seemed to be a dedicated and caring woman.

Clarke said the charge relates solely to the employee.

"At no point in this investigation has the company itself nor its owners been under investigation. They had no knowledge and no involvement of the actions of the employee," she said."

Old August 30th, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

As far as I am concerned to company-owner is as guilty as the evil woman herself.
I am sure when the owner went to the company,he was assured by the company-owner the cats would get the best of care.
He probably did not chose this particular employee himself.
Hence the company-owner is guilty as well.
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Compromised account

I would blame the owner of the company for is not following up on the actions of her employee. I dont know how she could have known for sure that the cats are being cared for, but that is her ultimate responsibility as the owner of the company. Essentially, yes, she is partially to blame for this as well especially since there have been previous complaints!
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:01 PM

This is soo sad. Poor Kitties, am hoping that they are alive, but after 2 months the outlook looks grim. My dogs go with me everywhere, But dont really travel in winter but do tons of camping in spring, summer and fall. Do the camping so the furries can come. Would go crazy if I thought I hired someone who didnt look after my pets!!!
Old August 30th, 2010, 05:05 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
As far as I am concerned to company-owner is as guilty as the evil woman herself.
I am sure when the owner went to the company,he was assured by the company-owner the cats would get the best of care.
He probably did not chose this particular employee himself.
Hence the company-owner is guilty as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennieV View Post
I would blame the owner of the company for is not following up on the actions of her employee. I dont know how she could have known for sure that the cats are being cared for, but that is her ultimate responsibility as the owner of the company. Essentially, yes, she is partially to blame for this as well especially since there have been previous complaints!
Absolutely!!! The owner of a company is responsible for the actions of their employees.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)