Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old June 9th, 2010, 02:17 PM
-

The dogs are as good as dead right now , they are still at the municipal shelter , and they are not probably being taking care of. Employees there don't want to have nothing to do with those dogs , they feed them and give them water , that's it. They're not even taking these dogs outside ! They showed the dogs this morning , they are absolutely terrified in their kennels.

Many people are calling the shelter to adopt these dogs ... I think the dogs will only get worse in that environnement , might has well kill them both now. Even if they now know , the female did it. I'm against having them put down but if it can stop people from saying how bad these dogs are , so be it , have them put down and everyone will be happy.
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:20 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by diandpat View Post
http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/maul...th/#clip311258

It says that in fatal attacks huskies are third after Pitties and Rotties...

I love huskies...always wanted one and still do. Don't blame the dogs when the owners are at fault...any breed!
I believe this will make many people that have kids & dogs , to either surrender their dogs , or have them put down. Which sucks big time.

5 top dogs that bite :

1. Pitts
2. GSDs
3. Labs
4. Goldens
5. Rottweilers

Most dog to be put to sleep because of biting : Golden Retrievers

People suck ....
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:26 PM
-

As for people calling this an accident ... these dogs never stood a chance !

Let's see .... male was adopted 2 months ago , female was already living in that home for a while , both dogs are intact ... and free to roam outside. Within a week , 2 couples moved in + a 2 week old baby + a female dog with her puppy or puppies.

mother leaves baby in a seat , on the floor .... in the middle of what I call : chaos ....
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
1. Pitts 2. GSDs 3. Labs 4. Goldens 5. Rottweilers
I would have to say the smaller breeds bite more then large breeds...however you never hear about it. I have been bitten by more smaller breeds, then large breeds...Ask anyone who works in the Animal Control field...lol, smaller dogs are the worst, nippy bitting machines. I remember I had a call for two dogs running at large. As I am driving I see them running along a side street. One is a chwawa (yes, i know it is spelt wrong) and his buddy was a mastiff mix. Got the mastiff mix in the truck no problem, his little buddy..not so much.
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Well if that is how the dogs are being treated maybe the ignorant mother should also get the same treatment. Yes, I do not have one iota of sympathy for her and think she deserves everything that comes her way. The house she was going to try and raise a kid in sounds like it has a revolving door on it for people and animals.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Doggie Wench

These two dogs in particular had just moved into the home 1 month ago. As Frenchy says, new home, new people, children, toddlers, another dog with puppies, an infant, no training, no supervision, etc, etc...it was a tragedy waiting to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poodletalk View Post
I would like the dogs to go through a complete evaultion, blood and temperment to see if their a danger to society, what are the chances of them doing this again or even biting.
Poodletalk, by the time these dogs are assessed, they will be so anxiety ridden with yet again more upheavals in their lives, chances are they will fail most tests. Of course, if put into the exact same situation, they are likely to do it again. How many dogs wouldn't?? Thing is, we don't test these sort of things because most people know better than to throw strange dogs and children into a room unsupervised together . We work on prevention, on training, and when unable to supervise, we manage the situation by containing our dogs and keeping our children safe. One doesn't have to be a rocket scientist to know better.

Quote:
I think the owner of the huskies is just as responsible as the ignornant mother. He should have never put his dogs in a situation they couldn't handle. He must have known, his dogs weren't good with kids or babies. Or they were unpredictable. Yet, he put them in a home with a baby. Totally irresponsible pet owner.
Absolutely agree with you. As their owner, he is 100% responsible for their actions. Not only did he leave them wander after numerous warnings from neighbors, they were seen in a neighbor's field with a 4-5 year old girl....unsupervised .

Quote:
...someone needs to take responsibilty for that.
What eats me up...after all the interviews I've seen, not one person has accepted any responsibility whatsoever. The father says, "she's a good mother, it's not her fault. I wasn't there, I was applying for welfare." He goes on to say "I don't make money to pay for the funeral but I'll figure it out." Wth, we're supposed to feel sorry for the lazy SOB?? The owner of the dogs says, "I feel guilty, they are my dogs. But you can't control things like that." If i could wrap my hands around that idiot's neck . And the lawyer for the grandmother, she says, "Well, she's relieved no charges were laid against her." So it was just an accident and life goes on? No one accepts responsibility, no one should get punished? A human being, an innocent newborn, has just lost her life and NOT ONE PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE?? NOT ONE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR THE TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THIS BABY'S LIFE??

I cannot accept the sheer stupidity and ignorance of all the people involved in this tragic incident as an excuse for the loss of this baby's life.
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post

Poodletalk, by the time these dogs are assessed, they will be so anxiety ridden with yet again more upheavals in their lives, chances are they will fail most tests.

I think so too LP , and so many people wants to see these dogs put down ... I'm beginning to think , lets have them put down NOW , maybe then people will stop talking about the dogs and start looking how these people were living .....

The father says, "she's a good mother, it's not her fault. I wasn't there, I was applying for welfare."
unfreaken believable hey ? 19 yr old , what reason does he have to not be looking for work ?? He just became a dad and that's what he does to support his family ??

A human being, an innocent newborn, has just lost her life and NOT ONE PERSON IS RESPONSIBLE?? NOT ONE SHOULD BE PUNISHED FOR THE TOTAL DISREGARD FOR THIS BABY'S LIFE??
I totally agree , everyone is pitying the young mother ... what about the baby ??
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

TPT do not take responsibility for there actions they will find some way to blame anyone but themselves. I am guessing they are all on welfare so we already support there lazy a$$es and now we will pay for the innocent childs funeral and they will go on and probably not look back. We probably feel worse about the loss of the child then they do. If she was such a good mother why was she outside with no one watching the child.
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Poodletalk, by the time these dogs are assessed, they will be so anxiety ridden with yet again more upheavals in their lives, chances are they will fail most tests
I understand that, but if these dogs escape euthansia and they get rehomed, a complete assignment of the dogs health and temperment needs to be done. Who wants to be responsible for rehoming these dogs and having them bite or worst kill someone again?
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:40 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

i don't think it will put most peoples attention back onto the mother where it should be. i think if the dogs are put down for most people that will be the end of it. As for the sperm donor getting a job,,please why would he don't you know that the world owes him something thus our tax dollars should support them..Not all but a large majority of todays teens have been handed everything they want, no responsibility no manners, no rules nothing,,why would this be differant,,if he got his welfare,,,guess what,,they'll pay for the funeral.
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover View Post
I am guessing they are all on welfare
Like I suspected ... yes , looks like the owners of the dogs (both of them) the mother , the dad and grandmother , are all on welfare .... now I'm not 100% but ... let's say 99%.

Quote:
I understand that, but if these dogs escape euthansia and they get rehomed, a complete assignment of the dogs health and temperment needs to be done. Who wants to be responsible for rehoming these dogs and having them bite or worst kill someone again?
What I don't understand is why the dogs are still at that crappy shelter instead of being ship to St-Hyacinthe ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
if he got his welfare,,,guess what,,they'll pay for the funeral.
yep .....
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
I'm not saying whether or not they should be euthanised. One dog killed the infant under very particular circumstances. Even veterinary behaviorists that were interviewed said that it's unusual but one doesn't leave babies unattended with dogs because this is exactly what can happen. In a specific environment and with training, it will never happen again. According to statements made, this dog is not aggressive, she was acting upon instinct in a very particular environment. How many of us can say with certainty that our dogs wouldn't do the same?

So, can they be re-homed safely? Again, in the right environment, yes. Who's willing to take the responsibility? I can't answer that, I don't know any (if any) professionals involved. If it were up to me, I'd have the moronic owner made to work and pay for their care and training, however long it takes. Why should there be more lives lost because of this idiot?
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
What I don't understand is why the dogs are still at that crappy shelter instead of being ship to St-Hyacinthe
Exactly Frenchy, they should be there with Dr.Franke the top behavorlist vet instead of being in a crappy shelter.
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
What I don't understand is why the dogs are still at that crappy shelter instead of being ship to St-Hyacinthe ?
Quote:
Exactly Frenchy, they should be there with Dr.Franke the top behavorlist vet instead of being in a crappy shelter.
Because that would cost money. Who's going to pay for it?

And that would mean someone would have to accept responsibility...something no one obviously is willing to do.
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry,but looking into the face of that beautiful Husky,knowing he/she will suffer in that shelter,with nobody caring,makes me cry,but I cry for that poor little baby-girl who did not get a chance to live.
The mother...never mind
If these dogs are going to be killed,I hope they do it quick..and not let them suffer the anger from caregivers,the dogs don't understand

When Rocky attacked me and hurt me badly a few times,even my doctor told me to kill him,but it was not my sweet Rocky who attacked me,circumstances drove him to it and I would never dream of putting him down.

The killer in this instance was the mother,I do not have an ounce of sympathy for her,yes she is young,I too was pregnant at 17yrs,would I ever have left my newborn with 2 large dogs,not on your life
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
i don't think it will put most peoples attention back onto the mother where it should be. i think if the dogs are put down for most people that will be the end of it. As for the sperm donor getting a job,,please why would he don't you know that the world owes him something thus our tax dollars should support them..Not all but a large majority of todays teens have been handed everything they want, no responsibility no manners, no rules nothing,,why would this be differant,,if he got his welfare,,,guess what,,they'll pay for the funeral.
You are so right I had my first part time job at 14 lied about my age to get a job. I listen to kids and they expect everything and there parents give it to them. These sound like they are coming from a long line of welfare families. Why get a job when I have one and I can support you through my taxes.
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:52 PM
-

For those interested ... they just announced that the mother will be speaking on the 6:00 news on TVA (french channel)
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:15 PM
-

omg .... ok now I really can say I have absolutely NO sympathy for her !!

right before , they were talking with Claude Poirier , who's a well known "criminologist" who went to talk with Surete du Quebec this afternoon because he wanted to know why they questioned her , a minor (her mom was with her) until 5 am once she got out of the hospital (where BTW , the doctors said she was well enough to answer the police's questions) so Surete du Quebec said no , this isn't true , they only questioned her until 11 pm and not 5 am.

what do you know ...she goes on TV and says how wrong it was for her to be questioned all night long (using this lie !) how wrong she was treated by police , and that people shouldn't talk bad about her ... no word on her poor baby , NOTHING. Just "me me me" .
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:17 PM

ok...she never mentioned the baby????????????????????

WTF!

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Senior Contributor

And that surprises you? I do not think there is a lot of concern for anybody but herself and maybe the fact that the welfare cheque may be smaller.
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:32 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusterBoo View Post
ok...she never mentioned the baby????????????????????

WTF!
only when the journalist asked her if she really wanted that baby (meaning if the pregnancy was an accident , because many people are saying that , she wanted something to happen to the baby , that is why she left her on the floor with the dogs ...) and she only said : yes I really wanted the baby , I went to all my doctor's appointments ....

but other than that comment , it's was mostly , "I was treated too harshly by police bla bla bla " "people shouldn't talk bad about me bla bla bla"
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Doggie Wench

The interview looked rehearsed. The questions asked were very specific and, the manner in which they were asked, the reporter supplied the answers for her. She just repeated what he said. She also never referred to the baby as "my baby" it was always "the baby" .

And what's with all the shock that she was interrogated after the death of her baby ? An infant was killed, of course there should be an immediate investigation.

Poodletalk, if you haven't already seen these, you might find them interesting.

http://videos.lcn.canoe.ca/video/en-...8959001/page/2

http://videos.lcn.canoe.ca/video/en-...8958001/page/2

I was thinking about the questions you asked earlier. "Who would take the risk?" Who takes the risks when re-homing stray dogs with no history? Who takes the risks when re-homing any dog? Shelters take the risk, rescues take the risk, all those that re-home, breed, buy, adopt, take the risk. You yourself said that your girl is not good with children (please understand I'm not judging as one of ours is not trustworthy with children either). Would she do the same if found in the same situation as the Husky in this tragedy? We don't know right? If you, for some reason, were unable to take care of her any longer, do you not think she deserves a chance at being re-homed?

What I'm trying to get at is that all dogs are capable of aggression. Just because one doesn't have a bite history (that's known anyways), doesn't mean they're 100% sound. Yes, we can do all the assessments in the world and exercise prevention/caution but there are never guarantees. I still don't understand the difference between a dog who has bitten, and one who could/would. Wouldn't the one that's bitten be safer? Because we're certain under which circumstances it will and we can work from there? I'm not saying all dogs can/should be saved, I'm not a fan of no-kill, but I'll be damned if all options are not explored before that irreversible decision is made.

As for this Husky in question...if there is no home willing to take the responsibility of caring for her, then yes, she should be euthanised. What alternative is there? Spending the rest of her days caged would be the most inhumane of choices.
Old June 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
The interview looked rehearsed. The questions asked were very specific and, the manner in which they were asked, the reporter supplied the answers for her. She just repeated what he said. She also never referred to the baby as "my baby" it was always "the baby" .

And what's with all the shock that she was interrogated after the death of her baby ? An infant was killed, of course there should be an immediate investigation.
In the Lindy Chamberlain case people thought she didn't react the way a normal (innocent?) person should either, but I think unless you walk a mile in the shoes of a mother going through this sort of ordeal, you can't know how you would react and you shouldn't judge them. There's not just the grief and total shock of such a loss, imagine how defensive they must feel with the usual trial by media, police attention and public opinion , which could be very hostile and unforgiving. What time would there be to grieve? I don't see much difference, Lindy would probably never have dreamt that a dingo might take her baby, and this other woman most likely thought those dogs could be trusted. Tragic mistakes happen.
Old June 10th, 2010, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
omg .... ok now I really can say I have absolutely NO sympathy for her !!

right before , they were talking with Claude Poirier , who's a well known "criminologist" who went to talk with Surete du Quebec this afternoon because he wanted to know why they questioned her , a minor (her mom was with her) until 5 am once she got out of the hospital (where BTW , the doctors said she was well enough to answer the police's questions) so Surete du Quebec said no , this isn't true , they only questioned her until 11 pm and not 5 am.

what do you know ...she goes on TV and says how wrong it was for her to be questioned all night long (using this lie !) how wrong she was treated by police , and that people shouldn't talk bad about her ... no word on her poor baby , NOTHING. Just "me me me" .
Was there any emotion at all Frenchy?
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:28 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Was there any emotion at all Frenchy?
no BM , but people say it's because she's still in shock. IMO , yes she is in shock , not from the death of her baby , but from being held at the police station right after her hospitalisation , from the accusations against her , from people bad mouthing her. That's what she was talking about on tv , nothing about being sad because she lost her baby. She found it more important to tell lies about how she was and being treated. Asking for pity ...

They are already discovering a couple of lies ...

1. she was saying that , she stepped out real quick , on the balcony , to take a couple of "puffs" (which her BF confirmed to journalists , in front of the court house) ... that's a lie :

http://lejournaldemontreal.canoe.ca/...10-070701.html

sorry , it's in french , but it says it was 20 to 30 minutes ! She and the grandmother went downstairs , and took a walk. They were not in the doorway , like they said , they did not go back when they heard commotion , they took a 20-30 minutes walk , and only discovered what happened , when they went back inside the house. Also , she said she was hand cuffed (a lie) and that they questioned her all night long (another lie) ... how many more lies will we find out about ? I think many , I think police knows a lot , but can't talk about anything until the trial.

Last edited by Frenchy; June 10th, 2010 at 12:35 PM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:34 PM
-

About the dogs :

http://lejournaldemontreal.canoe.ca/...10-070700.html

again in french but it says that the dogs haven't showed any aggression since being held at the shelter. They are being quarantine for 10 days , like for any dogs that have biten.

one thing I don't understand , is that the article is saying that the dogs are at St-Hyacinthe but a journalist was live yesterday afternoon at the municipality shelter , saying the dogs were still there.

I do hope , they are at St-Hyacinthe.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

There is obviously no remorse from her in fact she is probably not all that upset. You hear a commotion and you do not run like hell to get there instead you continue your walk while a newborn is by itself. Give me a break she could care less and is only concerned about herself just like her gram who also was only concerned that no charges were laid against her. She should rot in hell, like the trash she is.
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
There is obviously no remorse from her in fact she is probably not all that upset. You hear a commotion and you do not run like hell to get there instead you continue your walk while a newborn is by itself. Give me a break she could care less and is only concerned about herself just like her gram who also was only concerned that no charges were laid against her. She should rot in hell, like the trash she is.
Don't hold back on your emotions Mastifflover... (without sarcasm of course).
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I never do. Especially where stupidity and ignorance is involved
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:02 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
Don't hold back on your emotions Mastifflover... (without sarcasm of course).

Quote:
You hear a commotion and you do not run like hell to get there
I think they were too far from the house to hear anything

And yes , there's a lot of emotions ... coming from "both sides". They're even saying the charges might get dropped before it gets to trial (August 31) because of people's outrage. That would be a shame , because one , I do believe they have something against the mother that we don't know. I keep thinking about when they first told the news , the "accident" at 3:30 ... but ambulance workers pronounce the death on their arrival at 5:45 something is very wrong here ... it didn't take them 2 hours to get there , so it took a while for the mother and grand mother to get back to the house and also , to call 911 ? and the fact that they are not talking about this time frame anymore on the news , like they're keeping it hush hush , I think this might be a big proof they have against her.

And 2 , I really want justice for the baby