Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old March 13th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Garden nut

Snow rage erupts in Canada

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyE...18144320080312

Quote:
"Snow rage" erupts in Canada
Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:33pm GMT

By David Ljunggren

QUEBEC CITY, Quebec (Reuters) - Although Canada is one of the snowiest countries in the world, a series of violent "snow rage" incidents reveal that even the locals have their limits.

Police in the French-speaking province of Quebec said on Wednesday that people were fighting over snow clearing and even parking spaces.

Recent Canadian winters have been mild but this one looks set to break all-time records for snow. One storm last weekend dumped 23 inches (51 cm) on the capital Ottawa and 19 inches on Quebec City, which has already received 210 inches this year.

Quebec City police said they had been called to a dozen violent disputes about snow from one property ending up on someone else's. The drifts outside some houses are 12 feet and higher.

Last Sunday, a man in an upscale Quebec City neighbourhood became so upset a woman from a snow removal service was putting snow on his yard that he shouted at her and then took a shovel and hit the window of the vehicle she was driving.

"The woman apologized and returned to work ... a bit later the man opened his garage door and emerged with a shotgun, pointed it at the ground and looked at her in a threatening way," said police spokeswoman Catherine Viel.

Police arrested the man, who will be charged with negligent use of a firearm, and seized a total of 13 weapons from his home. Viel said snow-related fights were unusually common.

"It's happened particularly often this year ... you have to be used to snow if you live in Quebec but it's been a bit extreme this year. People are fed up," she said.

In Montreal, police said a man had produced a toy gun during a heated dispute on Sunday between two drivers over a rare parking space. He may face weapons charges.

There may be more trouble to come, since Environment Canada says there is no sign winter is about to end. Snow fell again on Quebec City and Ottawa on Wednesday.

Montreal is also having problems disposing of the snow. One massive mound is around 80-feet high and officials told reporters that unless steps were taken to dismantle the pile, much of it would still be there when next winter started.

(Reporting by David Ljunggren, editing by Mario Di Simine)
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
Swift Tribe

it gets too hot here for things like that. wow... creepy!

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I didn't point a gun at the guy trying to plow us in for the second time in one morning (I'd not even finished clearing the first pile!!) I just stood there!

HeeHee, he turned the blade slightly and scraped my entrance clean for me! In other words, they can if they want to!!

Yes, I thanked him.
Old March 13th, 2008, 12:35 PM
Doggie Wench

Honestly, these people are simply miserable morons and probably always are at all times; the excessive snow fall is just an excuse for them to demonstrate their extreme stupidity .

For dogs' sake, it's just snow! Precipitation that falls from the clouds and freezes on it's way down? How moronic is it to fight over it?!? We have no control over it and everyone has to deal with it. I'd like to tell these folk to pick up a bloody shovel and help their neighbors out rather than bitch about it where it lands .

Ok, rant over.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:21 PM
head in the clouds

well ive been told that if i survived this as my first winter im doing rather well for living in montreal. although i am starting to want to cry at the lack of heat and how my whole street is ice (that I have to try and walk on...)

and I dont know about anybody else but im just tooooo tired to really bother... i think i may hibernate next year.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:39 PM
Doggie Wench

Do you have any friends/family in Mtl. duttypaws? Try to get to Mont-Royal Park and do some sledding/tubing or skating on Beaver Lake (rental of outdoor equipment available at location). Parc Jean Drapeau on Ile-Ste-Helene also has a sledding hill.

http://www.lemontroyal.com/en_calendrier/index.html
http://www.parcjeandrapeau.com/tabid...4/Default.aspx

Or if you want a change of scenery, spend the day at the Biodome. You may want to skip the Arctic/Antarctic sections and hang out in the Tropical Forest Ecosystem. Just make sure you've got a t-shirt on under all those layers .

http://www2.ville.montreal.qc.ca/bio...n/content.html

Last edited by luckypenny; March 13th, 2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old March 13th, 2008, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Bio Dome is nice. Smaller than I'd expected though. And the tropical section? I wouldn't go near it this time of year, it was hot in there in summer clothes I did like the Atlantic Canada section though, could have spent the day there!

Sledding, tubing, ice sports, more slipping and sliding? NOOooooooooo
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SARAH View Post
Sledding, tubing, ice sports, more slipping and sliding? NOOooooooooo
Yah, but it's the fun kind . Nothing like goofing around to bring one's spirits up. Just look at all the fun kids have (no, not the one's sitting in front of the video games). We can re-learn a thing or two from them.

Another fun idea! Wanna brighten up that blinding white snowy landscape surrounding your home? Fill up several dishsoap bottles with warm water, a couple of drops of soap, and food coloring. Go outside and demonstrate your artistic creativity by squirting all over your yard. Btw, it camouflages all the yellow snow-art created by your dogs .
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

The snow-art sounded like fun. The sliding part, I never even liked it as a kid I'd have a hard time waking something that never existed
Old March 13th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Half Way To Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Yah, but it's the fun kind . Nothing like goofing around to bring one's spirits up. Just look at all the fun kids have (no, not the one's sitting in front of the video games). We can re-learn a thing or two from them.

Another fun idea! Wanna brighten up that blinding white snowy landscape surrounding your home? Fill up several dishsoap bottles with warm water, a couple of drops of soap, and food coloring. Go outside and demonstrate your artistic creativity by squirting all over your yard. Btw, it camouflages all the yellow snow-art created by your dogs .
I agree!! what about a snow castle or snow slupter sp? if you prefer, or like lucky penny does burry something in the snow where you want the doggie to dig and see how fast she/he gets down to the bottom, (then you will not have to shovel that part....or you could have a race in the snow and see who wins!!
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Preplanning makes success

I love wading thru knee-deep snow and rolling through the yard in the snow. I also don't really mind shovelling, depending on how cold it is. I keep thinking I need to get a crazy-carpet and slide down the snowbanks that are way over my head.

What I DON'T like is that my road is popular for parking. With all this snow, there is enough room for 1 car to go down any road at a time, and people park directly behind my driveway. I do a 40-point turn every day to get to work I keep wanting to go and key all their cars... so far, I have resisted. I just need to hold off 1 more month

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old
Old March 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
-

Quote:
Honestly, these people are simply miserable morons and probably always are at all times; the excessive snow fall is just an excuse for them to demonstrate their extreme stupidity .
Not always LP , up until a few years ago , I lived in Montreal. You shovel to get your car out , but have to carry the snow somewhere where it's not going to bother anyone , you get back home , the only parking spaces left , you have to shovel to get in , after being at work for 9-10 hours , it is kind of frustrating. Then you have to walk home because you parked your car so far away from your appartement .... and I'm not going to start to talk about the traffic on the bridge everytime it snowed ... oh man , I'm so glad I moved but now I'm stuck with dangerous slippery roads
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Doggie Wench

Sorry, but a person who'll threaten another with a shotgun because of some extra snow in his yard is still a miserable jerk in my books. There's no excuse for that type of behavior.

And, as of this winter, Montreal has free public parking spots all over (in private lots) for excessive snow falls as we've been having .

Now, I may shout rude obscenities at the guy in front of me who suddenly decides to turn a corner at a slippery intersection without signalling first .
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM
-

Quote:
Sorry, but a person who'll threaten another with a shotgun because of some extra snow in his yard is still a miserable jerk in my books. There's no excuse for that type of behavior.
The one in MTL had a toy gun
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Doggie Wench

Oh, ok. He just wanted to play with his new friend then .
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Just do what I do, pretend its sand

Snow drifting looks so much like sand drifting
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

oh and stay indoors at all costs! lol
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Garden nut

Montreal is terrible in winter. Fun place to visit, but I never want to live there again. The bridges freak me out, summer or winter. Most people I met there are nucking futs.

I hated the trucks that would go by and emit that awful siren sound to make people move their cars before the plow would show up. It's like the European police sirens on steroids. The constant towing of cars, lack of parking, and total idiots that do whatever they want to do and could care less about others. :sad:

Am going batty here too... snow piled up many of the windows on the house and it's all too icy and hard to remove. Even tried using an axe to remove ice away from the windows out of desperation and hurt my knee and shoulder from banging on the ice too hard.

The dogs barely have anywhere to run and yet they want to so bad. Sheeba has never even seen green stuff. There's a whole world out there she knows nothing about. I can't wait to show her. But both my girls think running fast and high jumping into snow banks is fun.

The dogs enjoy it way more than me. I'm sick of shoveling, slipping on ice and freezing my arse off. I want some sunshine and a heatwave to come and melt all this sh!!!

Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old March 14th, 2008, 06:20 AM
head in the clouds

lol ive done the full tour ... lol.
I work in a language school where 4 of us only just moved here from various parts of the world... so we went the to Mnt Royal in November (first snow)... we're all just really blah with it all now... I dont mind the snow its the sidewalks being PURE ice....

maybe the sun will come out tomorrow?
Old March 14th, 2008, 07:34 AM

Here in SW Ontario people are getting pretty irritated too, but only because we get TONS of snow, then three days later it all melts, but then flash freezes and snows again. So we've got constant layers of ice beneath our dirty SW-Ont snow here, layers that don't go away. It's slippery EVERYWHERE ALL THE TIME, and it's starting to get on everyone's nerves.
Right now we're in a warm front (about +4 now) but it's saying we're going to get another week of snow everyday after the weekend, which means today's melted snow is going to be Monday's slippery driveway.
Also, we live on a one way street, and the plows only go down once, so nobody can park on the road all winter. Of course they do anyway, so cars have to drive up snowbanks onto the sidewalk to get by.
Arg.
Old March 14th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Preplanning makes success

I almost got towed yesterday (they finally snow-cleared my road! Yey!) because I parked on the road because some parked DIRECTLY in front of my driveway.

However, I was taught as a kid that when the robins come back spring is around the corner - and I saw TWO on my walk today, and all the other trees were wild with birds (Tango was insane, trying to track all of them). So that must mean spring is close- right? Right????

Foster Mom to
Tango- beagle mix, 4 yrs old
Schroder- beagle mix, 11 yrs old