Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pet product reviews - dog products

Old June 13th, 2010, 01:43 PM

Destructo

Connor loves to rip apart toys. In our house, he has a nickname - Destructo. Hahah. I am just wondering if anyone knows of any stuffy-type toys that can withstand some serious chewing?

I know it's probably a long shot, but he's not vey interested in anything rubber-ish. He likes the deer antlers, so those are our new favorite toy... but I would love to treat him to a new stuffy!
Old June 13th, 2010, 02:05 PM
banned user

we buy the skinkeez I think they call them...the toys with a squeekee but not stuffing.....ours drag them around like "look what I caught" ..they come in skunk, fox, squirrel, and a few others...won't buy ours stuffed toys again
Old June 13th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Kong makes some stuffy-less stuffies, too, that are pretty durable. They even have velcroed enclosures for the squeakers, so if they go bad, you can replace them. Occasionally we'll have someone try to rip a piece of the velcro off, but otherwise they've held up pretty well!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:07 PM

There are toys made of a very heavy fire hose type material that are made to withstand hard chewing, and lots of rubber toys that can withstand a lot too like Cuz style toys.
Old June 13th, 2010, 05:13 PM

Yeah, we've tried both the skineez and the Kong "Wubbas" as they're called. Hahah. The skineez are lucky to last a half an hour around here, but the Kongs are a little better.

I just had to throw out all his toy "carcasses" because Keely has been getting into them... so I figure I should get him some replacements.

Maybe I'll get them a couple Kong stuffies.... Though other suggestions would be appreciated!
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:04 PM
-

The only toys that last here are the Kongs and the Cuzs , but the Cuzs gets desqueeke pretty fast (which is not always a bad thing ) and I always get the Cuzs with stomped feet or else I have to perform surgery to cut them out , or else the dogs will.
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:10 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

These aren't Wubbas, Serena. The one they love the most is an unstuffed snake.

Belle and Cole with Mr Snake 3-4-10.jpg
Cole (in the Dreaded Elizabethan Collar) has Mr Snake by the head and Belle is trying to save Mr Snake by pulling him out of harm's way by the tail.

The first design had one flaw--eyeballs stuffed with cotton batting. Since then the Kong company has eliminated the puffy eyes by embroidering them on, instead. And they are very durable toys! The Pack luvs 'em!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:13 PM

Oooo, I've never seen these before, hazel!! Must have a look at PetSmart... maybe I'll have to order them online. Here's to hoping they have small sizes! Hahah.
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:15 PM

Also - your pups look like they're having a ton of fun, hazel! Even though one has a cone! Heehee. So cute. What are their names?

NVMD. Seen the caption now.
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:20 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenamlambe View Post
Oooo, I've never seen these before, hazel!! Must have a look at PetSmart... maybe I'll have to order them online. Here's to hoping they have small sizes! Hahah.
That's where I found these

They do have smaller ones, too--I got our pipsqueak, Grace, one of the smaller squirrels and she loved it till it got stolen from her during a sneaky end-around maneuver by Brier. Mr Squirrel put up a valiant fight, but three 50-pound dogs tugging on him at once was just too much for the poor unfortunate guy...

Mr Non-stuffed Squirrel

But Mr Squirrel might be just the size for Keely and Connor

Old June 13th, 2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
There are toys made of a very heavy fire hose type material that are made to withstand hard chewing, and lots of rubber toys that can withstand a lot too like Cuz style toys.
Yeah, we had the fire hose one once. He wasn't too interested in it, which is why I think it held up better... but it was gone in a couple days after he put his mind to it. Hahah. He's determined to shred... I'm just glad he sticks to toys!!

We've only ever had one mishap... when he was about a year old, he ripped a page out of a textbook belonging to my boyfriend's professor. $150 later, Josh knows to keep important things out of Connor's reach. Hahaha.

As for the rubber ones, he doesn't much like those. The Kongs do okay stuffed with treats, but he gives up when he can't get them out. Hahah. Not as fun as ripping apart a stuffy, apparently!
Old June 13th, 2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That's where I found these

They do have smaller ones, too--I got our pipsqueak, Grace, one of the smaller squirrels and she loved it till it got stolen from her during a sneaky end-around maneuver by Brier. Mr Squirrel put up a valiant fight, but three 50-pound dogs tugging on him at once was just too much for the poor unfortunate guy...

Mr Non-stuffed Squirrel

But Mr Squirrel might be just the size for Keely and Connor
Sounds good! I'm excited to go look now. I think Tuesday is our dog toy shooping day. The old ones went in the garbage today and, plus, Josh gets home from Switzerland tomorrow. He wanted to buy them a toy to "bring back" to them.
Old June 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM

So, Connor doesn't have too much interest in the snake. But Keely loves it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF1517.JPG (58.5 KB, 22 views)
Old June 19th, 2010, 06:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It's a dual toy--when she's done chewing on it, she can cuddle with it! Or, she can cuddle with it while she's chewing on it!