Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old January 16th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Natural Balance Organics

I've researched hundreds and listed their ingredients at my site *********** and I cannot find anything better than.....
Natural Balance Organic
Free range Natural Chicken, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Organic Oats, Organic Millet, Organic Barley, Organic Sorghum, Organic Potato, Organic Peas, Organic Canola Oil, Organic Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (Naturally stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Organic Carrots, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Mixed Tocopherols, Organic Spinach, Organic Cranberry, Organic Tomato, Yucca Schidigera, , Dried Kelp, Organic Parsley, Organic Rosemary, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Taurine, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Inositol, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-2, Biotin, Potassium Iodate, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Sodium Selenite. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 22%, Crude Fat (min) 13%, Moisture (max) 10%, Crude Fiber (max) 4.5%

Last edited by Ford; January 20th, 2008 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Please, no self-promotion as per posted rules
Old January 17th, 2008, 05:54 PM
NOT a senior member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noles1984 View Post
I've researched hundreds and listed their ingredients at my site ********** and I cannot find anything better than.....
Natural Balance Organic
Free range Natural Chicken, Organic Brown Rice, Chicken Meal, Organic Oats, Organic Millet, Organic Barley, Organic Sorghum, Organic Potato, Organic Peas, Organic Canola Oil, Organic Flaxseed, Chicken Fat (Naturally stabilized with Mixed Tocopherols), Dicalcium Phosphate, Organic Carrots, Natural Flavor, Calcium Carbonate, Potassium Phosphate, Sea Salt, Mixed Tocopherols, Organic Spinach, Organic Cranberry, Organic Tomato, Yucca Schidigera, , Dried Kelp, Organic Parsley, Organic Rosemary, Choline Chloride, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Taurine, Manganese Sulfate, Niacin, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Copper Proteinate, Copper Sulfate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin A Acetate, Inositol, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin D-2, Biotin, Potassium Iodate, Cobalt Sulfate, Vitamin K1 Supplement, Sodium Selenite. Guaranteed Analysis: Crude Protein (min) 22%, Crude Fat (min) 13%, Moisture (max) 10%, Crude Fiber (max) 4.5%
Organic is all well and good, but in my opinion there are too many grain ingredients in this food, all being in the top six. What is millet anyway....I thought it was bird seed? It's not a bad food, but I'll stick with my Orijen or Innova Evo, I think there is better stuff in there IMO.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......

Last edited by Ford; January 20th, 2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:35 PM

Let's try and help you out about grains. Forget about the too many grains thing. That's not even scientifically viable. OK, hang on, we're going on a science ride....
Brown Rice:: Brown rice has a high level of the Amino acid of Glutamic acid. Protein value is 2.3 grams and carbohydrate value is 23.5 grams per 100 grams.
Oats: Oats are rich in Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus, Iron, Pantothenic acid, and carbohydrates. Oats are rich in the Amino acids of Leucine, Arginine, Aspartic acid, and Glutamic acid. Oats have 17 grams of protein and 66 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams.
Millet: Millet is a cereal crop used world-wide. Millet is rich in B vitamins, especially niacin, B6 and folacin, calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, and zinc. It contains 11 grams of protein and and 73 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams.
Barley: Barley is high in Vitamin B6, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus. It has 2.3 grams of protein and 28.3 grams of carbohydrates per 100 grams
Sorghum: Sorghum is a flowering grain/grass that is rich in dietary fiber, carbohydrates and protein. It's particulary rich in the amino acids of Leucine, Phenylalanine, Valine, Alanine, Aspartic, Glutamic, and Proline. Protein value is 11.3 grams and carbohydrates are 74.6 grams per 100.

All of the above grains are high in fiber needed for digestion.
Organic: = guaranteed to be free of pesticides, growth hormones, and genetically modified ingredients.

Last edited by Noles1984; January 18th, 2008 at 01:56 PM. Reason: sp
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:44 PM
Doggie Wench

Um, I'm thinking all of the above is available in just plain meat, bones, & organs ? Unless this is something new, I wasn't aware that dogs needed so much grain? Orijen, for example, provides all of the same nutrients if I'm not mistaken, without all the grains. Why feed all the extras when they're not necessary?
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
Um, I'm thinking all of the above is available in just plain meat, bones, & organs ? Unless this is something new, I wasn't aware that dogs needed so much grain? Orijen, for example, provides all of the same nutrients if I'm not mistaken, without all the grains. Why feed all the extras when they're not necessary?
Not so fast. It's science! Meat does not provide any carbohydrates or dietary fiber. Vitamin A = 0, Vitamin C = 0, Vitamin D = 0, Manganese = 0

It's not that dogs need grains, it's that good grains provide the protein and carbohydrates. Protein is not just protein but a combination of amino acids of Tryptophan, Threonine, Isoleucine, Leucine, Lysine, Methionine, Cystine, Phenylalanine, Tyrosine, Valine, Arginine, Histidine, Alanine, Aspartic acid, Glutamic acid, Glycine, Proline, Serine, and Hydroxyproline.

Organs... I would not give my dog organs. Liver, for one, cleanses the blood of toxins. So when a dog gets a formula with liver he/she is receiving concentrated amounts of toxins from the cattle or whatever. Organs, in and of themselves, are cheap sources of protein. Protein in meat concentrates itself in muscle meat.

Last edited by Noles1984; January 18th, 2008 at 02:25 PM.
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:01 PM
-

Quote:
It's not that dogs need grains, it's that good grains provide the protein and carbohydrates.

......Organs, in and of themselves, are cheap sources of protein.
And, proteins in carbohydrates are even cheaper sources of protein. All dog kibble should have high quality protein mainly from meat sources. And Natural Balance Organic has more grains than meat.
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Doggie Wench

I'd suspect the soluble and insoluble fiber found in vegetables to be of more nutritional value than just the insoluble fiber found in grains. I don't think dogs have evolved that much since the invention of commercially available dry foods to need such a high content of grains .

Protein is derived from many other sources than grains, as are complex vitamins and minerals.

A healthy liver helps to detoxify the body. Toxins are then expelled from the body in a healthy animal, not stored in liver. There are a lot more nutritional benefits to liver than just protein. Vitamins A, B2-3-5-6, biotin, folacin, B12, choline, inositol, C, E, D, K and the minerals zinc, manganese, selenium, and iron. It's also a source of the essential fatty acids Omega 3 and 6.

You stated that Natural Balance is in your opinion, the better choice. Why, for example, as opposed to Orijen?
Old January 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM

Wait a minute. (1) There are no proteins in carbohydrates. I believe you are confused. There are ingredients within foods which have both carbohydrates and proteins. (2) You are comparing protein to protein via meat vs. grain. Right now I'm looking at 100 grams of roast beef which has 29 grams. Flaxseed has 17 grams. Not as vast a gap as you'd expect. How can you quantify that NB has more grain than meat? Are you using grams or by reading labels?
Old January 18th, 2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
You stated that Natural Balance is in your opinion, the better choice. Why, for example, as opposed to Orijen?
I have nothing against Orijen. I based my opinion on (1) the nutritional value of the food. Orijen has good ingredients. It is twice as high in protein than many other brands. I had correspondence with a sled dog breeder who was apprehensive of protein over 30%. (2) NB is the only manufacturer that will openly state what safety measures and analysis are done on their foods. (3) NB has a known track record with several zoos and animal parks with respect to specialized formulas that no other food manufacturer can match. (They know nutrition). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_R._Dinnes

Quote:
I'd suspect the soluble and insoluble fiber found in vegetables to be of more nutritional value than just the insoluble fiber found in grains.
When fiber is shown on a label its insoluble fiber for intestinal movement, not soluble.

Quote:
Protein is derived from many other sources than grains, as are complex vitamins and minerals..
I think most people are already aware of this.

Quote:
Toxins are then expelled from the body in a healthy animal, not stored in liver.
Exactly how long before slaughter are cattle and other animals not eating as to detoxify?

Did I miss something?
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I've researched hundreds and listed their ingredients at my site ************* and I cannot find anything better than.....
Natural Balance Organic
I'm new here, but have done a lot of research and would not consider feeding that food to my dog. First listed ingredient is chicken, inclusive of water content (about 80%) and with water removed it would probably be farther down the list. There just isn't enough meat content in the food.

On topic, our dog (Shabba) was fed Nutro Large Breed Puppy (bought the largest bag from the shelter) when we brought her home, as she was at the Shelter. After a lot of research we switched to Orijen Large Breed Puppy, but found that she was very smelly (gas and poo) so we almost completely moved her to Go Natural! A little more research though and she's back on Orijen, and with some poor quality treats (PEDIGREE MARROBONE® Snacks) removed from her diet the nasty gas is pretty much gone.

Our obedience trainer, who feeds her dogs and recommends a raw diet, would only recommend Innova EVO, Go Natural! and Orijen as suitable kibble for dogs. We're actually going to give Orijen a try with our cats too.

Last edited by Ford; January 22nd, 2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
I'm new here, but have done a lot of research and would not consider feeding that food to my dog. First listed ingredient is chicken, inclusive of water content (about 80%) and with water removed it would probably be farther down the list. There just isn't enough meat content in the food.
Exactly how much meat is required in a formula? Do you have a percentage you'd like to share? I'm interested. However this is just your opinion on NB and you are entitled to it. While Orijen does not present any accolades or accreditation. NB is a company that actually does scientific testing in-house and out and is involved in specilized diets in many professional areas. If the San Diego Zoo and Sea World animal nutritionists and vets trust them, I surely do.

Quote:
On topic, our dog (Shabba) was fed Nutro Large Breed Puppy (bought the largest bag from the shelter) when we brought her home, as she was at the Shelter. After a lot of research we switched to Orijen Large Breed Puppy, but found that she was very smelly (gas and poo) so we almost completely moved her to Go Natural! A little more research though and she's back on Orijen, and with some poor quality treats (PEDIGREE MARROBONE® Snacks) removed from her diet the nasty gas is pretty much gone.
I'm glad you discovered the truth with Nutro and Pedigree.
Quote:
Our obedience trainer, who feeds her dogs and recommends a raw diet, would only recommend Innova EVO, Go Natural! and Orijen as suitable kibble for dogs. We're actually going to give Orijen a try with our cats too.
Unfortunately obedience trainers are just that. Trainers. I've run into breeders that use Purina and Eukanuba. It takes an animal nutritionist to evaluate a food.
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:13 PM
-

Quote:
I have nothing against Orijen. I based my opinion on (1) the nutritional value of the food. Orijen has good ingredients. It is twice as high in protein than many other brands. I had correspondence with a sled dog breeder who was apprehensive of protein over 30%. (2) NB is the only manufacturer that will openly state what safety measures and analysis are done on their foods. (3) NB has a known track record with several zoos and animal parks with respect to specialized formulas that no other food manufacturer can match. (They know nutrition). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_R._Dinnes
1. You base your opinion on one dog sled breeder's apprehension?
2. I haven't read Orijen's website completely for a long time but I would think they would have no problem doing the same. They have their OWN manufacturing plant which makes a big difference imo. Natural Balance has their food made at the Diamond plant in Sacramento, California where many other brands are made as well which could lead to cross contamination.
3. What does making formulas for lions and elephants got to do with dog and cat nutrition?
4. WHY do you keep trying to promote YOUR website on this forum?
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:19 PM
-

Quote:

I agree with you 100% It's only the ingredients before the first fat content that make up most of the food. Natural Balance Organic has two meat sources and seven grain sources. That makes it pretty darn grainy in my books.
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Ad revenue no doubt. Here's a decent dog food review site - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
Old January 18th, 2008, 08:40 PM
NOT a senior member

According to the www.dogfoodanalysis.com website, this food is ranked four out of six stars, mainly because it contains minimum meat content. Also the Sorghum is not a high quality grain, not easily digested like the other inclusive grains which are stated as good quality grains. I still think if I want to spend my money on good quality grains...I'll buy a bag of oats and feed it to my horses.

My loyal menagerie... (all neutered, spayed, and gelded...and YOU aren't safe either!)

Ruben (Bullmastiff)
Emmy (Miniature Pinscher)
Petie (Miniature Pinscher)
Shadow (Miniature Pinscher)
Zoe (APBT)
Tito (Paint Gelding)
Francesca (Miniature Horse Filly)
Vincenzo (APHA gelding)

Lots of fishies......
Old January 18th, 2008, 09:17 PM

I don't have a lot of science backing up my opinion. I don't have a lot of testing. I don't have a website. What I DO have is a $350 vet bill from when the Natural Balance allergy formula I was feeding my dog got recalled, which Natural Balance repeatedly said they would cover and then wouldn't. I DO have a dog who was ill most of his life and is now healthy, bright eyed, shiny-coated and, for the first real time in his life, LOVES his food - Orijen. I don't care what zoos use to feed their animals, or who's done what kind of studies or received what kind of accolades - lots of places feed Pedigree because they sponsor stuff, that doesn't make Pedigree the greatest food on the planet either.

A good food is one that both you and your pet are happy with, that your pet eats and enjoys, and that keeps him/her healthy. Do the reading, investigate the ingredients AND how/where the food is made, what the company's track record is in terms of how honest they are about their ingredients and processing, then decide for yourself. Good food now often means lower vet bills later. Dogfoodanalysis.com is a fantastic place to start reading, as is the food forum here. Once you gain some knowledge, you can make your own informed decision about what is best for your pet.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:01 AM

Quote:
2. I haven't read Orijen's website completely for a long time but [.....] 4. WHY do you keep trying to promote YOUR website on this forum?
Disregard this post for the next. It somehow got sent before corrections were made.

Last edited by Noles1984; January 19th, 2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: deleted - it repeated itself ?
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Quote:
2. I haven't read Orijen's website completely for a long time but I would think they would have no problem doing the same. They have their OWN manufacturing plant which makes a big difference imo. Natural Balance has their food made at the Diamond plant in Sacramento, California where many other brands are made as well which could lead to cross contamination.
3. What does making formulas for lions and elephants got to do with dog and cat nutrition?
You are very much due an explanation of statements and I hope this exchanges are not in anger nor creating anger for any of you.
Answer to 1: It was not the major point to begin with. I'm not basing my opinion on the sled dog breeder at all. I just mentioned that as a point I once ran across. It's certainly debatable and we both had points we disagreed on.
Answer to 2: Fact: The formula was Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice recalled on April 17, 2007. That particular dry formula was manufactured by Diamond for Natural Balance. Since, NB has ceased that formula. It was the only product outsourced to Diamond. Natural Balance does not obtain their foods from Diamond. That's something you pieced together from news bits. At least tell the truth. [1]
Answer to 3: Do not roll your eyes, Rainbow. That's condescending. Attempt to understand and learn. In Natural Balance's case, they created dog and cat formulas to a standard that zoo/animal park vets and animal nutritionists felt comfortable in choosing NB to create formulas for other animals. I realize it's confusing for you that expertise in nutrition leads to creating other formulas for exotic and endangered animals. (Unlike certain foods created for animals destined for slaughter).
Answer to 4: I'm not promoting. It just gives quick access to hundreds of formulas in one place. I cannot find another site that does so. You'll notice that Orijen is listed there as a great food with no bias against it. That's all. That's it. No hidden agenda.
Old January 19th, 2008, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Ad revenue no doubt. Here's a decent dog food review site - http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/
Yet another degrading remark based on no information and ignorance. You'll notice that the site is hosted by Bravehost - ads that appear are of Bravehost's choosing, not mine. I derive no monies from that site what-so-ever. Oh, I might add that the above site is a sponsored website and leads to Nutro Ultra.

Last edited by Noles1984; January 19th, 2008 at 12:15 PM.
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
[/B]Do not roll your eyes, Rainbow. That's condescending. Attempt to understand and learn.

I realize it's confusing for you that expertise in nutrition leads to creating other formulas for exotic and endangered animals. (Unlike certain foods created for animals destined for slaughter).

Answer to 4: I'm not promoting. It just gives quick access to hundreds of formulas in one place. I cannot find another site that does so.
What you said here is much more condescending than Rainbow was. We are all here in an 'attempt to understand and learn' from each other. You are not any more of an authority than other members that are here. Everybody here is trying to provide information so that the OP can make an informed choice for his/her pet. There is no one right or wrong answer. That's why everybody has made recommendations and advised the OP to read, research, and then decide.

A very good site that 'provides quick access to hundreds of formulas in one place' has also been mentioned several times here - www.dogfoodanalysis.com. It's been a fantastic resource to me when researching foods, ingredients, etc. Given time, if your site proves to be reliable, trustworthy and unbiased, it will probably be mentioned here a lot too, as we're fairly passionate about good nutrition for our pets. But credibility takes time, and a good site like that really does need to be and appear to be unbiased... if people think that you are supporting or being supported by one brand over others, it really does undermine any credibility you are trying to build.

I hope we haven't lost Amatazes in all of this? Have you found a food to try? And can we have more pictures of the little guy?
Old January 19th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
What you said here is much more condescending than Rainbow was. We are all here in an 'attempt to understand and learn' from each other. [...]
I disagree with the assessment on condescending. Agreed on understanding and learning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommysmom View Post
Given time, if your site proves to be reliable, trustworthy and unbiased, it will probably be mentioned here a lot too, as we're fairly passionate about good nutrition for our pets. But credibility takes time, and a good site like that really does need to be and appear to be unbiased... if people think that you are supporting or being supported by one brand over others, it really does undermine any credibility you are trying to build.
Thanks. It may be construed that I support "various" brands over The GoodLife, Purina, Kibbles 'n Bits, Pedigree, etc. True. I just place the formulas there with ingredients and indicators to less than great ingredients.

What gets me is the ganging up on me of Orijen people when I never said that Orijen was bad or questionable. However out comes a lot of misinformation on Natural Balance when I just said I thought it to be the best I've found. - Chuck Taylor
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I disagree with the assessment on condescending.
What gets me is the ganging up on me of Orijen people when I never said that Orijen was bad or questionable. However out comes a lot of misinformation on Natural Balance when I just said I thought it to be the best I've found. - Chuck Taylor
I don't consider myself an "Orijen people", and do apologize for the "ad revenue" suggestion (forgot you were on a free web host there - bad me since all the ads were blocked), but I didn't see any "misinformation on Natural Balance", only opinion. While I appreciate that you feel strongly about this particular food, you must appreciate that others will not share your opinion, and that by pushing it so hard you only decrease the value of your opinion in the eyes of other.

I and others believe in using a holistic and grain-free approach to feeding our digs and cats and simply stated Natural Balance does not fit either description. Period. If one believes that grains are an ideal source of proteins for their digs, then Natural Balance is likely to be a good choice of dog food, and I respect your opinion that it is the best.

Ron
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
I don't consider myself an "Orijen people", [...] but I didn't see any "misinformation on Natural Balance" [....] Ron
I'll send you the quote as a private message. This back and forth back biting is too inflaming.
Old January 19th, 2008, 02:48 PM

Exclamation

I like viewing as many dry food brands as possible - obscure to well-known. Just found Wenaewe. It's ingredients are unimportant since I'm on a quest to get as many brands as possible. If you know of a brand, just say so. I'd be interested. Thanks.
Old January 19th, 2008, 09:11 PM

So if the use of NB by zoo staff makes it of higher quality, what do you make of Science Diet? It's very well promoted by most veterinary offices and the manufacturer can support their product with testing and lots of paperwork. The vets also get special deals and SD makes the food affordable for them. Would you think SD is also high quality? I'm guessing you'll address the ingredients as the reason why it is lower....but the point I'm obviously trying to make is that there are many reasons why different groups use certain products. Cost is a major one; money into research, etc. is another. But the use of it by them (in and of itself) doesn't seem to be a reliable support for the food.

Don't know if you've checked out this site either. The site operator has had some bad experiences with NB. You'd have to check with them on specifics, but it's there for the looking if you're interested:

http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm
Old January 20th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Mika140 wrote: "Would you think SD is also high quality?"
All I can say about Hill's is that they have ingredients most people in this forum and other forums disagree with in their dog's nutrition (brewers rice, corn meal, chicken by-product meal, soybean meal, animal fat, BHA, BHT, propyl gallate, etc.) It's just my personal preference not to give my dog brewers rice for instance when brown rice is available. I feel like I'm getting ripped off and my dog is getting an inferior ingredient.

Mika140 wrote: "But the use of it by them (in and of itself) doesn't seem to be a reliable support for the food."
I guess you mean my reasoning in liking NB because of the scientific testing and that they're able to create zoological formulas doesn't seem to be reliable for food. Am I understanding you correctly? If so, please reply and I'll be happy to address that.

Mika140 wrote: "The site operator has had some bad experiences with NB."
With so many brands out there, I'm sure there's an abundance of people who have had problems with every manufacturer. That's bound to happen. You'll also find testimonial pages on dog food sites which praise foods. So it comes down to what works for you.

Thanks Mika140....
--Chuck Taylor
Old January 20th, 2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I guess you mean my reasoning in liking NB because of the scientific testing and that they're able to create zoological formulas doesn't seem to be reliable for food. Am I understanding you correctly? If so, please reply and I'll be happy to address that.
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I guess I'd just stick to the ingredients or your personal experience with the product. I just don't see much difference b/w NB and SD when it comes to promoting their product. SD has specific veterinary formulas that veterinarians (some of them very popular) will tell you work wonders for pets. And there's lots of research behind their products. Personally I don't have any issues with NB. I don't think it is the best product out there, but if it works for someone, then that's what really counts.
Old January 23rd, 2008, 04:20 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984
Answer to 2: Fact: The formula was Natural Balance Venison and Brown Rice recalled on April 17, 2007. That particular dry formula was manufactured by Diamond for Natural Balance. Since, NB has ceased that formula. It was the only product outsourced to Diamond. Natural Balance does not obtain their foods from Diamond. That's something you pieced together from news bits. At least tell the truth.
It took awhile for me to reply because I was waiting for an answer from Natural Balance. I know NB supplies the ingredients but all of the Natural Balance dry formulas are manufactured by Diamond....

Quote:
Hello ****,

Please know that all our Dry Formulas are co-packed at Diamond in California, and our Canned Formulas are co-packed at American Nutrition in Utah. All of our Dog Rolls, Roll-a-Rounds, and frozen products are manufactured here at Natural Balance in California. Have a good day.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Freeman, B.S., R.V.T.

Animal Nutrition

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc

800-829-4493 x106
Old January 23rd, 2008, 08:17 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
My cats eat Orijen (along with Wellness and Go Natural) and they love it. My daughter's very overweight cats changed from Iams weight control to Orijen (and Wellness) and they are now within normal weights.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 24th, 2008, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
My cats eat Orijen (along with Wellness and Go Natural) and they love it. My daughter's very overweight cats changed from Iams weight control to Orijen (and Wellness) and they are now within normal weights.
Laurie had recently switched the cats from Purina ONE to ACANA ADULT LIGHT, with a dramatic difference in our older male's coat (less flakes) and much less smelly poop. They've been on Orijen since last weekend now so we'll see how it goes. No negatives yet (except for Meeko dragging his butt on the downstairs carpet once and then Shabba licking it up ). We'll have to see how the weights of our fatties goes now. They had been loosing weight after a couple of bags of ACANA.