Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Depends what area of biochem you are in - I did a PhD in it - that is more courses than i even want to think about, rofl - I tended to concentrate on the microbiology/cytology/ aspects ot it since I did the MD-Phd program. Of course now we have nanotech and many other new areas. But biochem is essential for anyone in nutrition. One needs to know the effect of the various chemicals on electrolytes and other processes in the body. I suspect that is why it is called BIOchem, <g>

Anyway - that's my experience. I have seen a few bad basic biochem teac hers/profs who hate teaching and whose main objective is research and they do not make enough of an impact on the student. I hope you did not have profs like that in your biochem courses.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
One needs to know the effect of the various chemicals on electrolytes and other processes in the body.
Yes, but probiotics are NOT chemicals.

CK, I'm not here to argue with you, especially not in this thread. You have to realize though when you post that you're a doctor in every single post, people tend to believe what you say and posting false information can be detrimental.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Beagle Girl View Post
Try some slippery elm. It helps heal mucous membranes in the digestive tract. You can get it at the health food store. I gave it to P after a bone incident, and it worked like a charm!
I just thought I'd second this suggestion, along with the probiotics. One of my dogs has had some serious GI issues in the past little while and slippery elm and a good probiotic helped a ton.
Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I used the probiotics along with a digestive aid (they're not in the fridge) but you'll find both at the pharmacy....
I've also heard good things about slippery elm....

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old April 3rd, 2007, 11:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten View Post
ISeveral nutritionists agreed with my vet (I did not merely take her word for it, I tend to be skeptical of everything, lol) so I went with that and have no complaints. Then those "nutritionists" knowledge is severly outdated and they do not have an understanding of how probiotics work in the body.

That said if I had a pet who was given probiotics by a vet, I would want to know why and do a ton of research!! Why? What is so "dangerous" about probiotics that it requires "tons of research?" Probiotics would be about the safest thing any vet could suggest and would essentially be harmless if taken and not needed. If you start at a too high dosage a loosening of the bowel or some mild GI upset is the worst that one would encounter.
CK, if you want to know about probiotics you should go to the source of the majority of the raw materials out there, Harmonium. THEY are the ones who have done the vast majority of research. I can most definetly pass on a name for you to contact if you wish.

Harmonium International Inc.
17 975 Des Gouverneurs
Mirabel (Québec)
Canada
J7J 2J5

Telephone:
450.433-9139
1.877.433.9139 (Canada and US)

Fax:

Email:
info@harmonium-intl.com

The fact is, as I stated earlier and fortunately Prin seems to understand, that yogurt is a DAIRY source probiotic. It is transient and does NOT implant. The strain lives in the small intestine and NOT the large. Some yogurt companies you will see adding LACTOBACILLUS CASEI. (http://www.dannon.com/dn/dnstore/cgi..._ID_253247.htm) This is because they know that yogurt is inferior for any therapeutic purpose. L.casei is a HUMAN strain probiotic and IMPLANTS in the small intestine. Still, though, you have no strain for the large intestine/colon. Oh, and the yogurt company Dannon that adds the L.casei gets their probiotics from Harmonium. I am not saying yogurt isn't a bad choice of food and doesn't give some benefits (if the culture is alive), but you would have to eat yogurt at every meal, every day to provide an ongoing supply of probiotics to the body.

All I can say is that you can't simply try to say someone is qualified to prescribe or be the ultimate authority on nutraceuticals cuz they are a vet or nutritionist. Fact is, just like with MD's, the majority of vets out there are only trained in allopathic treatments. Nutritionists are also NOT trained on nutrition in the "holistic" sense whatsoever. Vets/nutritionist/MD's/etc who choose to join ranks of the "natural" solutions have to take the training on their own. It is NOT a part of their regular curriculum as you should know since you have a science background. I applaud your desire to seek natural tx out, but please don't suggest that vets out there are "holistic" minded on a whole. For most it's a shot in the dark when they suggest natural treatments. This would be the reason why most MD's put down natural supplements. Complete lack of knowledge.

Anyone who actuallly finds a vet out there who has up-to-date knowledge of natural treatments and is willing to pass that knowledge on is lucky.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old April 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM

A few years ago, my GSD had serious stomach problems, vets weren't sure it had been a virus, something she ate, and after many meds (antibiotics, even LOSEC! there was some serious vomiting with blood going on)...my last visit to the vet suggested I give my dog the following probiotics product:

Acute Care
made by Centaur VA Animal Health, Guelph Ontario
$30 for 60CC - she got one tube a day for 4 days.
contains: yeast extract, dehydrated primary yeast, mucilage, dried apple pectin pulp, yeast fermentation solubles, direct-fed microbials, B-Vitamins..(yeah, I kept the container.. )
aspergillis oryzae
bacillus subtilus
saccharomyces cervisiae

It got rid of her stomach probs and she was A-1 in no time! This stuff was amazing!
Old April 4th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

You were fortunately you had a vet who didn't just try to pile on additional meds but prescribed something to fix the problem associated with the antibiotic useage. I am always so happy when I hear stories like this.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Hi guys thought I would update you on harley, we just got back from the vet about his ear, all clear, she has no clue what it might have been.
BUT I weighed him today, as I always do when we are at the vet. he went down from 105 last week to 102.1lbs.
I told her I am starting him on probiotics and she was happy with that. This is our next step. I have chosen to go with natures farmacy in the states, it is a powder form, I spoke to the woman for over an hour. She taught me alot.

I bumped into someone I have not seen in ages, and the first thing that came out her mouth was where did harley go, he loss muscle. I am not the only one who is seeing this.
After a month on the probiotics, if weight gain and digestion does not get better, we are having his pancreas tested for damage.
Boy oh boy, when will this end.....Pray that they work for him.....Thank you all for your ideas.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:14 PM

Powder form but refridgerated? You don't want "fermentation products", you want live bacteria...
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Live well, laugh often

Sending good vibes for Harley .

I have used probiotics in a powder form that were regular, refridgerated stuff. The dose was 1/4 tsp which is probably the equivalent of a capsule.
Old April 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Performance Spaniels

Sounds unrefrigerated "plus a unique ability to withstand high temperatures and long term storage (up to 2 years). You won’t have to worry about leaving the tubes or jars in the van!!"