Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:59 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Thank you. I am going to go check out both these brands at Total Pet next time I am there. They both seem very good, much better than Eukanuba!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:00 AM
Owned by goldens

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdamadg
Copperbelle,

I wouldn't have chosen Pedigree but I just got Sprint and he is still transitioning into a new home. And that is what my sister fed him. He is healthy and deemed so by a vet. I am looking for a new food for him and in time will transition him to what ever I choose. I have spoken to many people, including vets and breeders that say Pedigree is a good food for its price range. Better than some of the choices on the market.
Vets and breeders often receive compensation for recommending a particular brand of food. Here are the ingredients of Pedigree.
INGREDIENTS

GROUND YELLOW CORN, CHICKEN BY-PRODUCT MEAL, MEAT AND BONE MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, ANIMAL FAT (PRESERVED WITH BHA/BHT), RICE, NATURAL POULTRY FLAVOR, POTASSIUM CHLORIDE, DICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, SALT, WHEAT FLOUR, VEGETABLE OIL, WHEAT GLUTEN, CARAMEL COLOR, CALCIUM CARBONATE, TAURINE*, VITAMINS (DL-ALPHA TOCOPHEROL ACETATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN E], CHOLINE CHLORIDE, L-ASCORBYL-2-POLYPHOSPHATE [SOURCE OF VITAMIN C*], VITAMIN A ACETATE, THIAMINE MONONITRATE [VITAMIN B1], D-CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN D3 SUPPLEMENT, RIBOFLAVIN SUPPLEMENT [VITAMIN B2], BIOTIN, VITAMIN B12 SUPPLEMENT), MARIGOLD MEAL (SOURCE OF LUTEIN*), TRACE MINERALS (ZINC SULFATE, COPPER SULFATE, POTASSIUM IODIDE).

It is a personal choice to feed this food but if I am asked what I think about it, I will be honest. I can understand your waiting until Sprint has become accustomed to his new home before you do a food switch.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:33 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Shaykeija=
Quote:
I feed Sophie and Missie, Dick Van Pattens duck and potato
Is this the actor Dick Van Patten from the former eight is enough show back in the 70's

What great info here! I only wish I didn't have a huge bag of Pukanuba sitting on our counter. Maybe I can mix it together with one of these other ones until it is all gone, then switch.

Does anyone no what the price difference is between the two foods or some of the better quality foods.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Our breeder had us feeding Pedigree (one of her family dogs is used in their advertising). After our first newf died of kidney failure and I found this site, I started researching dog foods based on some of the threads I saw here. When we were ready to get our current newf, while talking to the breeder, I discovered that she was actually supplementing her dog's food with lots of other things (meat mostly). I spoke to her about different dog foods and emailed her some links to the ones I was considering. She agreed to let me feed whatever I chose.

Hazel has been on Solid Gold - WolfCub Puppy formula and has been doing great. It took a while for her to adjust to it but she loves it. It isn't available in my area, so I order it online.

Dogs are carnivores and should be fed accordingly. If you google on Dog Food, or Canine nutrition, you'll come up with lots and lots of reading material to make an informed choice from.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 04:57 PM
Personal servant to Joey

http://www.petcurean.com/products.html

took a trip to Total pet today. They dont sell Solid Gold but another petstore in town does. We were given a sample of Go natural. The first two ingredients are Chicken meal Chicken meat and whole brown rice, I might just put some in his kong to give him a little taste of it.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 05:23 PM

Just be careful because the kcal/cup is double that of Solid gold- you might end up with a fatty very quickly if you're not careful.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 06:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Well I thought I would add my 2 cents to this topic. I have found a few simple rules to buying dog food or cat food for that matter. If you can buy it in a grocery store or your corner store, don't buy it, low quality is pretty much guaranteed. It will usually be a bag of filler (corn, soya, brewers rice, etc.) None of those ingredients will do anything beneficial for your dog. I know you might be saying I can't afford those expensive foods but when you feed these high quality foods you do not have to feed them nearly as much because it is all nutrition not garbage filler. But I will recommend a food that I have been using with good results Kirkland Series Chicken and Rice sold at Costco and mad by Diamond good ingredients and very cheap 22.00 a 40 pound bag. I was buying a food with almost the exact ingredients and paying 50.00 a bag. They have actually increased the line to include puppy and more active dogs. I own a very large couch potato so I can not tell you about the one for more active dogs. They also have it in Lamb and Rice and its something like 2.00 more a bag. I also buy all my supplements there MSM, fish oil etc. at half the price. Definitley worth the cost of membership. Solid Gold and Wellness are both excellent food but for me they are to costly I am feeding a 160 pound dog so it can be rather expensive but if I could I would use Wellness.
Maybe I will see if I can try a small bag of Solid Gold to see what Joey thinks of it. I think his skin is dry because he does itch a bit, and the flea collars doesnt seem to be helping. This is probably caused by the soya and corn huge allergens for dogs. You could also switch the flea collar to a eucalyptus based one much easier on the dogs and fleas hate the smell.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:03 PM
Owned by goldens

Kirkland

I forget about this food. I read the ingredients of the lamb and rice formula many months ago and agree that it has good ingredients. This is a great option for those who do not or cannot feed a more expensive food like Wellness or Solid Gold.

What is so wonderful by posts such as this is that people are able to become informed. I for one would want to know that I will get better value and quality from a Kirkland food than I would with a Pedigree food. The price per bag is aslo similar.
Pedigree has some great commercials for their foods and they are all during prime time tv. I would rather they saved their advertising bucks and put better ingredients in their food.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Owned by goldens

[QUOTE=Joey.E.CockersMommy]Shaykeija=

Is this the actor Dick Van Patten from the former eight is enough show back in the 70's

Yes it is the Dick Van Patten the actor. The food has excellent ingredients. If you do a search for Dick Van Patten Natural Balance you will get to their web site.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:14 PM

oh yeah, the huge companies with the worst foods have the best commercials.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:37 PM
Personal servant to Joey

re: Go natural, the lady at the pet store said she fed her dog 1/2 the amount and he was full.

We still need to try some other samples though. He wasnt totally crazy about the Go natural.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:45 PM

Yeah... I'd keep going. It also has the same 42% protein as Innova and from what I have heard, some dogs get really sick on innova (Heeler's Rock swears by it though).
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I was just wondering who makes the Kirkland food, I am sure I have seen it in Stores. Just trying to get to there web site to check them out.
Old August 23rd, 2005, 07:50 PM

I think they said Diamond dog foods, but I'm not sure.
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Kirkland is made by Diamond. Nice to be able to not spend a fortune and still feed good quality food, not a bag of filler.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:49 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

Ok members,

Dog food sub forum is open. It is located off the recipes for pets - recipes for humans forum.

This very thread is being moved there now.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:53 PM
Administrator - Pet lover

This thread has several topics going at once -

Given that there is now this new dog food forum, should this thread be closed so that subsequent topics can get their own threads to make it easier to follow?

Thanks

Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter