Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old September 20th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Young at Heart

MSG - is there any food that doesn't have this in it?

On the bags I've looked at, it is labelled as "Natural Flavours" which is another name for MSG.

If anyone knows what dog foods do not have MSG, I'd sure like to hear what they are!
Old September 20th, 2010, 10:42 PM
-

I don't think Orijen has it but haven't checked the ingredient list lately.
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:15 AM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I don't think Orijen has it but haven't checked the ingredient list lately.
Well, wouldn't you know, neither Bobby nor Amber can handle Orijen! The protein level is too high for both of them.

Having said that, I'll have another look at it just in case.. Thanks!
Old September 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM
-

I double checked the ingredients and natural flavours is not listed in Orijen. It is also not listed in either of Champion Pet Foods Acana lines (regular or grain free) and both have lower protein levels .....

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:13 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
I double checked the ingredients and natural flavours is not listed in Orijen. It is also not listed in either of Champion Pet Foods Acana lines (regular or grain free) and both have lower protein levels .....

http://www.championpetfoods.com/acana/products.php
Thank you, Rainbow! I'll have a look at them as soon as I can! Amber has just come through a terrible allergic reaction and MSG is a possible cause so I'm on the hunt for an MSG-free food. I'm cooking for her now and will continue until I can find a suitable food..
Old September 21st, 2010, 05:36 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanM View Post
Thank you, Rainbow! I'll have a look at them as soon as I can! Amber has just come through a terrible allergic reaction and MSG is a possible cause so I'm on the hunt for an MSG-free food. I'm cooking for her now and will continue until I can find a suitable food..
I don't know if "natural flavours" always includes MSG. Why don't you email the companies whose food you're interested in and ask them?
Old September 21st, 2010, 09:28 PM
Young at Heart

Quote:
I don't know if "natural flavours" always includes MSG. Why don't you email the companies whose food you're interested in and ask them?
My understanding is that MSG is called by many different names "natural flavours" being only one of them - it is pure MSG. The food I was using had Natural Flavours as, I think, the 4th or 5th ingredient - so there was lots of it in there.

Good point, though - I will try to get answers from the companies - and I'll do some more searching to find out what other names MSG goes under...

Thanks again..
Old September 22nd, 2010, 12:01 AM
Live well, laugh often

Hope Amber and Bobby are doing well JanM .

and you of course too!
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:13 AM

Check the brand you are interested in here http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ and search the ingredients list with CTRL+F type in Natural Flavors (American spelling I assume). Handy site because you can review food by the rating the site has given it, Orijen is a 6star food by their analysis, but as you said some dogs just can't handle the protein.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:43 AM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeriM View Post
Hope Amber and Bobby are doing well JanM .

and you of course too!
Thanks - yes - we are - now Bobby came through yet another really bad spell just a while ago - he was so bad I actually called the vet to have him put down. The next time Bobby has a bad spell, the vet will take him to live with him so he can see what's going on - from my description he figures he might be having grand mal seizures. He pulled through and is now going out on morning walks with us and once a week he goes out with UDog for a 1.5 hr wilderness hike with a pack of dogs! Go figure.. Amber had such a bad time with the allergy - she is still on prednisone - weaning off of it now but she had Antibiotics, prednisone and a topical spray. She is shaved from her groin half way up her tummy to about 2 inches below her spine. She is definitely on the mend though.
So all is well in our household..
Old September 22nd, 2010, 09:50 AM
Young at Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell View Post
Check the brand you are interested in here http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/ and search the ingredients list with CTRL+F type in Natural Flavors (American spelling I assume). Handy site because you can review food by the rating the site has given it, Orijen is a 6star food by their analysis, but as you said some dogs just can't handle the protein.
Great site - thank you!
Old October 9th, 2010, 12:57 PM

Jan wow! That's scary! I hope you find food that works for your little friends. I thought Scruffy's allergies were bad because his ears get itchy!
I'll stop complaining now.
Old October 27th, 2010, 11:55 AM

Hi there,

I certainly share your concern regarding MSG - from a personal standpoint though - I have epilepsy and MSG is one of the triggers so I avoid it at all costs. One thing to point out though, is that the term "Natural Flavor" is not necessarily MSG - here is the definition of Natural Flavour from the federal regulations (as taken from the vegsource.com website):
The exact definition of natural flavorings & flavors from Title 21, Section 101, part 22 of the Code of Federal Regulations is as follows:

"The term natural flavor or natural flavoring means the essential oil, oleoresin, essence or extractive, protein hydrolysate, distillate, or any product of roasting, heating or enzymolysis, which contains the flavoring constituents derived from a spice, fruit or fruit juice, vegetable or vegetable juice, edible yeast, herb, bark, bud, root, leaf or similar plant material, meat, seafood, poultry, eggs, dairy products, or fermentation products thereof, whose significant function in food is flavoring rather than nutritional."

So - this means that yes, MSG can be considered a natural flavor - but it encompasses a ton of other items - I would agree that natural ingredients should probably be avoided in general because of the ambiguous term.

So - back to your question on foods that do not contain the phrase natural ingredients:
As mentioned above - Orijen
Addiction Pet Foods
CaniSource
Halo
Merrick

This is just a short list - but these are generally considered higher quality foods - I'm sure there's a lot more out there though. I feed Katie CaniSource and love it. I don't think the quality can be beat, but the other foods are definitely better choices than say, Iams or Eukaneuba and certainly better than Pedigree. Once again -

Best of luck on your search for the optimal food for your furry loved one!
Old January 15th, 2011, 04:53 PM
Pet Owner

The food that I feed my dog doesn't have any MSG/natural flavors in it. I feed my dog Blue Buffalo weight control.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:18 PM

I know that nutrie balance doesn't have any MSG in it or any other preservatives,nutrie-balance.com. my dogs love it only problem is they go through it too fast since i let them eat as much as they want cause they are very active.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 07:43 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartiez23 View Post
I know that nutrie balance doesn't have any MSG in it or any other preservatives,nutrie-balance.com. my dogs love it only problem is they go through it too fast since i let them eat as much as they want cause they are very active.
This product is only available in 3 stores in quebec. I looked at the breakdown and it looks like a great food.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:13 PM

It does look good actually, im going to try it once I run out of food for them this week. where can I get it?
Old February 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargog View Post
It does look good actually, im going to try it once I run out of food for them this week. where can I get it?
The two I remember is Reveil du Maitre and Woofers
Old February 25th, 2011, 12:07 PM

Have a look at CaniSource