Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Amphibians - rabbits - reptiles - rodents - exotics

Old July 15th, 2008, 07:21 PM

cpietra16 - I need your help regarding baby squirrel

Please email me at jackyarsenault@gmail.com
I live in Laval and have a baby squirrel that my cat brought home today. He is tiny, has no fur and his eyes are still closed..... Please help !! Do you know someone in Pointe-Claire who takes care of squirrels?
Old July 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

good luck, have you tried a vet in your area???? hope the little one makes it, you might have to bottle fed, good luck.
Old July 16th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Canada, Quebec (Montreal)..... 514-366-9965

André Malouf, Urban Animal Advocates, Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Centre
Action Pour Les Animaux Urbains, Centre de Sauvetage et de Réhabilitation de la faune
uaawildlife@yahoo.com
Wildlife Species: all birds, mammals (land and marine), and reptiles,
exotic placement and housing
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I emailed you..please call me
Old July 16th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

The magic words for pinkies are: Warmth, Hydration, Consistency, and Patience.

WARMTH: a heating pad on low, under half their container (not under THEM) is best. Plastic tubs or terrariums are good because the environment is more humid and their skin doesn't dry out. When feeding a pinky, if your hands are warm you can use tissue paper to wrap and hold him...if your hands are cold, WARM a cloth or glove before picking up the pinky or you will chill him instantly.

HYDRATION: pinkies need hydration in the form of formula -- or Pedialyte in the beginning -- at least every 2.5 hrs. This means getting up at least once during the night. I get up twice, and it still means they will go 3.5 hrs sometimes without food but it's usually ok. If they look flat and skinny when you get up to feed them, you are not feeding OFTEN enough. Sorry kids, it's a rough gig those first 2 weeks.

CONSISTENCY: consistent heat.....consistent feedings....if your schedule is going to make you sporadic or unpredictable in caring for these teeny-weenies, give them to someone who has the time to care for them properly. If you don't have a heating pad, GET ONE, without an auto shut-off. Microwave disks are too unpredictable for pinkies and may cook them. Hot water bottles don't last nearly long enough for these fragile babies.

PATIENCE: Feed pinkies slo-o-o--owly. Very slowly. Teeny drop by teeny drop, preferably with a 0.5 (1/2) cc syringe or a 1cc at the LARGEST. Use a nipple attachment for best results. Go very, very slowly. If it takes you 15 minutes to get half a cc of formula into a pinky, yer doin' it perfectly. This is how we avoid aspiration, the #1 cause of death in pinkies and the reason why "some say" there is only a 50% success rate in saving them.
Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:04 PM

i rescued some baby squirrels n others

I joined this site after i found some baby squirrels at work.
5 yrs ago i found one that was sqreaming n fell from a treee. I called the wildlife center n took it 2 days later yo yhem. I live in ajax so they took him n was able to release again when it grew up. A happy story.
This past mondY i found two siblings on the grass. Their eyes where closed. I took to wildlife center n they put to sleep. I was sooooooo upset. They said the eyes must be open to accept them. They seemed healthy but they stilled euthenizdd.2 days later i found the other two siblings. One on the grass n other screaming trying to get down from the lwedge. The caretaker got him down.
The black squirrel was smaller n with eyes open. The grey was bigger but eyes closed. I refused to call wildlife as i felt so bad already. I took them home used hot water bottles, fed home made pedialite, helped with washroom then gave the puppy replacement foof that can only be fed to them.2 days later the grey squirrels eyes opened. That was yesterdY. Today i took them in to the center so they can do their job helping them be squirrels that will survive in the big world. Soooo, if only i kept the other two on monday, 4 days later their eyes would have been opened if not sooner. I hate that rule.
But they now only accept squirrels fron toronto area n not durham. Good news is there is aVet in bomanville that is a rehabilitator eho will take squirrels even with eyes closed. Yrs!!!! Or u lie n say you found them in toronto visiting someone or at work. I work at different schools so i'm all over.
If you need advice or help caring for an animals please emil me or contact me here if you can. I'm new to this site.
MelindA, you are awesome!!
A stray cat had kittens in my backyard 8 weeks ago n left onr. We now have kept her. Kmr constipates so use 1 can of evaporated milk n equal boiling water. Mix 1 tablespoon of corn syrup with the water n 1 egg yolk with the milk. Add together n thats it!!! Doesnt bum them up. Vet gave me recipe. I only made half the amount as i had only one kitten. Splitting egg yolk hard but did. I found the other 3 kittens n my vet is adopti.g them out. Animal control would assess if ferrel n put to sleep in 1 week they said. Thank god for my vet!!!!!
Good luck all!!
Old September 3rd, 2011, 10:13 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

I've rehabilitated a few "pinky"s...one side note, is just like a mother licks newborn pups and or mama a kitten , to stimulate urination and defication (pee and poo)...squirels also do this. When it starts peeing and poo'ing on its own, you will see the wet spot and the poo , and no you no longer have to do this.
The way you can "replicate" mom, is get a tissue, or washcloth, get it wet with WARM water and rub "gently" across the paticulars. You also want to hold something underneath it or around it...as you WILL get peed on if you do not, (or poo'd).
Its been a while since I've had my pinkys (both of which grew fur, ate regular food (loved dog kibble) and reached the age to BITE, very hard, and thus were ready to go)
They can be really really friendly...and sweet, but if you have no plans to make him a "permanant" part of your family or a yard squirel...please only handle him to feed, facilitate potty...and thats it. Because they do become "attacthed" to you if you handle them too much.
I found it helped to have a MOIST towel over the device in which you house them in.

Good luck. They are so much work in the begining...but it makes your heart smile when you let them go in thier natural habitat and they run up a tree without so much of a blink back at you.
Old September 4th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I normally refuse to release at my home, it normally takes up to 3 weeks for them to leave your care completely, but...........that being said, I rehabbed an injured chipmunk 3 yrs ago, only had him a few weeks while his wounds healed and released him in the bush beside us where he came from...now we can't get rid of him *LOL* he sits on hubs shoulder talking to him while he's trying to weld, he plays with Brina and steals her food, taunts her from a low tree branch then runs to us for protection, my daycare loves him, I've never heard of a rescue refusing pinkies, our has taken tons in and fosters them out.