Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 4th, 2014, 03:40 AM

Question Best carpet sanitization service???

I have an elderly (13+) long-haired dachshund, Nutmeg. She is diabetic, and blind due to cataracts. For several years, now, she will not go outside. If I take her outside, she won't get out of my arms, and literally panics if I try to put her on the ground. I suspect that she went out one time, and couldn't find her way back in, and is now too frightened to attempt it again.

As a result, she "goes" everywhere/anywhere in the house. I try to follow her around and clean up after her as quickly as possible, but that isn't always possible. I can't keep a diaper on her. Her health issues are getting worse, and I am bracing myself for the time when I must let her "Daddy" have custody. My husband passed away on her 2nd birthday, in 2003.

I know that I will adopt another dog... I can't NOT. However, my carpets are pretty much saturated, and I cannot afford to replace them anytime soon. It's not just the cost, but the furniture moving and all that I am physically unable to do, myself.

I do not want to bring another dog into the house when the urine smell is so bad. I have a Rug Doctor, and I've tried various pet carpet cleaning solutions, but I think I need a professional's help at this point.

Can you give me any recommendations, or advice, on finding a really good cleaning service? I suspect I may need a company that does flood recovery, or some such.

Thanks for your help.

Chloe - black w/white domestic long hair cat, born 4-2007
Pepper - black/white Papillion, born 4-2004
Nutmeg - black/gray long-hair dapple mini dachshund, born 4-2001
Sugar - Dalmation/German short-hair pointer mix, 7-91 to 7-04
Trinket (first born) - mini dachshund, 3-86 to 4-01
Tony (stepdog), terrier mix, 1980 to 9-91
And countless childhood pets before that.
Old February 16th, 2015, 07:41 AM
Neo+cats

We picked up a "carpet and upholstery cleaner" by Bissell at PetSmart for the first days' accidents Portia experienced. The can came with a built-on brush. Works really well, but of course we've only had 4 actual accidents plus one day of puking (poor baby ), not an entire carpet. And it didn't take the stain from her one bile-puke!

Baking soda and vinegar works too, but must not remove the smell, because that spot was the only one she sniffed afterwards.

Our carpet was new 18 months ago lol. Oh well. We know there is hardwood flooring underneath, it's just stained from Joe's parents' incontinent, blind poodle but can be evenly stained in an even, dark colour if the carpet gets too bad.

We will rent a carpet cleaner from (Canadian Tire? ) a store before my parents come over from France in September though