Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 1st, 2004, 05:28 PM

A puppy in need of some help

Hey guys, I know this is going to sound strange, but I'm looking for some help. There's a puppy in my area that is "for sale". She was bought at the local pet shop (her mom was a rescue and what was paid for the puppy only covered her vet costs up to date) The people that bought her only did it because their two daughters wanted a puppy. She has since lived in a garage. She is only 5 months old! They've had her for the past 3 months and she used to be walked, and then the daughters lost interest. The lady wants her money back, but obviously isn't going to get $200.00 for an untrained mutt. I called the Human Society because of where she lives and they said as long as she's got shelter and food there's not much they can do until it gets worse.
I decided to call and ask the lady if she would give her away free to good home (thinking that I would help find her one) she refused but said to make an offer. All we can afford right now isn't much so we offered $50.00 she said no. The lowest she said she'd go would be $150.00 I was wondering if anybody had any ideas or if anybody would like to make donations. If people start to donate money to get her out before they just let her "run the streets" as the owner said I will give her owner the money up front. They said that they want the money or they're just going to let her go on their property to "run away". That's not a dog lover if I ever knew one. Suggestions?
jessmcbess@aol.com
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:31 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Where is this woman?

There isn't much you can do if she wants to sell the puppy.

Maybe if you give her information to a rescue in your area they can talk to her, sometimes good at convincing them to surrender.
Old June 1st, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor puppy! If they let the dog run loose and it's not wearing any ID, you can call the HS and have them pick it up. You can then go to the shelter and adopt it. OR if you know someone who would want it, it could just "dissapear" if it's running free.

If you want to raise money to buy this puppy, you can have a garage sale, sell something, ask neighbours who may also be disgusted to chip in, collect bottles, etc.

I hope you can get this dog.
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:19 PM
Senior Contributor

awww that is sad, I hope you do get the puppy, have you any good friends? I would throw a fundraising party or something a bunch of hotdogs and lemonade, put signs up or maybe a car wash get your friends to help? Not sure how old you are but beer party? $2.00 a beer? I dont know Im not very good at these things.

Parents who buy their kids pets as a gift should be giving the gift with the thought in mind that they will ultimatly end up being the care givers
Old June 1st, 2004, 08:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Beer Party?

I'll be there....

I like LR's idea.Especially the "dissapear" part....
Old June 1st, 2004, 09:14 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Imagine that David Copperfield!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:56 AM

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the ideas! Actually my husband thought of the disapearing one as well. But his was more, is she just isn't there after they put her in the back yard, there's no way to track her. She's not registered with the municipality or micro chipped. I would just hate for her to be turned loose and get hit by a car, they live on a very windy road.
Umm a beer party does sound good! Maybe I should do that!
I'm checking in with rescues to see if they would like to help. The lady doesn't realize that it's going to cost her more to keep her than just give her away. Plus I don't even think she's been in the house long enough to be house broken. I don't want to have to pay for her, I just want her out of there.
I wouldn't be keeping her, we have a 1 yr old daughter and a puppy (same litter) of our own, but I was going to start training her while we find her a new loving home. And then give her free to great home. Hold interviews, that sort of thing. And arrange to have a visit to make sure all is going well (like the rescues) I actually have a few ppl interested in her if I can get her out of the garage.
Thanks again guys!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 08:24 AM
Senior Contributor

I would definetly try to take that puppy out of that environment,steal her if I had to,the woman would more than likely not care once the puppy is gone.
While your at it,tie her up in the garage for a while
There was a situation in my neighbor-hood,where a little white"Scotty"lived in a cold dark garage tied to a bicycle-rack,I called HS,different shelters,talked to unconcerned neighbors and got the same answer as you did,as long as the dog has food and shelter,nothing illegal is done.
What is considered animal-cruelty? To me this is a prime example of animal-cruelty
Anyway,to make a loong heartbreaking story shorter,I did "talk"to the owners on several occasions and got a not so nice response,but thought I got my point through to them,only to find out a few days later from their young daughter,the dog had been "stolen"..ie,euthanized
Old June 2nd, 2004, 09:45 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Where do you live, perhaps we can recommend a rescue that would talk to her.
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

That is so SAD. I hate people that are mean to animals. You should go in and take her or would that be dog napping!

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:19 PM

I think it's so cruel what some people can do to animals. And this puppy doesn't even have it as bad as some. I wish I could do more than I can, but I try.

I live near Ottawa. I was on another BB and some ppl over there gave me a list of dog rescues in the area that I'm getting in contact with as we speak. You can post any that you know and I'm sure there will be some different ones.

Thanks again guys!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 03:28 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Go to www.petfinder.com
select rescues and ontario
look for some near Ottawa

I really hope you can do this!!!
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:02 PM

The ideas expressed about raising money to buy the pup is good! Or You can always wait untill they go out and steal the dog and hide it in another township or county.

If you were closer i would do it in a heart beat

DeerClan
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think many of us would...

oh look at that poor puppy all alone, where did you come from
Old June 2nd, 2004, 04:18 PM

Ok, who is up to a midnight dog napping???? I'm in!

Heather
Old June 3rd, 2004, 03:22 PM

I was thinking of calling the owner and "casing out the joint" asking to see where the puppy lives so I can see if she's tidy when she goes to the bathroom. And just to see how clean in general she is. I can't have a dirty puppy with a toddler in the house. And then a few nights later bring some good treats and just let her leave on her own will (and my leash). Well, I've got to run, work tonight!
Old June 3rd, 2004, 07:16 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Maybe work out a trade with the woman? You get the puppy and you and your friends help with lawn mowing, raking...and maybe run some errands for her. Maybe someone you know could change the oil in her car too. (She supplies the oil & filter)
What ever extra little things the family may need of equal value....that way you do not need to cough up a chunk of cash.....if nothing else she may find all of you under foot too much and just give you the puppy to get rid of your presence...she may also see how sincere you are and cave in also.
All the while you can be educating her too and keeping a close eye on the poor puppy. Just a thought.