Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 24th, 2009, 05:45 PM

my cat

Ok, so my cat was not eating, or pooping for a few days, and he hardly got up for anything every day all day so he went to the vets, it was an emergency so i did not have to wait and the people waiting were pissed at us but meh. So the cat had to stay overnight, the cat stayed from Sunday night untill Thursday night at the vets, as they had to get all the things to know what the cat had.

Now what he had was 2 swollen lymph nodes, and they had to drain some fluid from his chest, he had a high fever of 40+, the total came to $2500. They got his fever down, he was so full of drugs because of the pain, he was on 3 medications. He's now home but it's been 3 days now, and he's always looking sad, he sometimes has a meow that makes it sound like he's hurting, he's only 4 years old...well, the SPCA we got him from said he was 2 years old, and that's all they knew of him because his teeth, and no info from previous owner but the vets say even though his teeth say he's 4 years old, his insides and his fur show he's older. Anyway, he pretty much lays down all day long, sometimes wonders but not far and just to lay down again. I gotta keep him medicated for a week, but his ears are really hot now. He looks so sad all the time. I know the cat needs to recover, but he's really not the same energetic cat he was before this, he's pretty much the same way we brought him to the vets like. Does the recovery time supposed to take a while, or do i need to spend more money and see what else is wrong? He's also walking pretty slowly. He used to flinch all over the place, but he's pretty much done that now, so now he pretty much just lays there all day long, sometimes moves to other areas.

I woke up today and he was laying on my ass. :/
Old May 24th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

Do the vets have any idea what's causing all this? What are the meds that he's on? Is he eating?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:58 AM

They do.

Every 12 hours i give him a half tablet to fix his appetite for a few days if not eating. He don't eat often.

Every 12 hours i give him 1 cc suringe for 7 days with stuff in it for his swollen nodes to shrink and unswell.

Every 24 hours for 14 days i give him half a tablet of this pill that keeps his temp normal.

It's rediculas how my cat makes it so hard to do these things, it also pisses me off that he wasted 2 full tablets trying to get it into his mouth, so i have to buy some more now.
Old May 25th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Catlover2

You should call your vet and ask how long the recovery time might take---it could be as long as 1-2 weeks. Give vet update on condition of the cat--be specific--whether it's eating and how much, its activity level.

As for pilling your cat, rub some butter or margarine on the pill, wrap cat snugly in a towel, so only the head is exposed, with the pill on the index finger open cat's with 2nd finger in lower jaw and index finger of opposite hand on upper jaw, and put pill in the back of the its throat. Close jaws, so it doesn't spit it out, and stroke the throat, and cat should swallow the pill. It takes a bit of practice but you shouldn't have too much trouble.

Here's an alternate method: http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/ClientED/cat_meds.aspx

Last edited by catlover2; May 25th, 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: addition of photos
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:03 PM

He eats human food no problem, he's only ate his food one day in the past 4 days and it was the whole thing. He once followed my dad around the house because he had a sandwich, so he kept meowing at him saying "give me that", i gave him some processed meat, he loves that stuff.
Old May 28th, 2009, 12:23 AM

Wow! I"m so sorry!!! Have they given you a diagnosis at all? Virus, bacterial, did they test the fluid in his lungs, blood work, etc? My cats will take a pill if I surround it in cream cheese and then turkey breast or ham. The cream cheese is sticky enough that they have a hard time detecting and/or spitting the pill out. Not knowing what is wrong has to be the worst thing to deal with! My heart goes out to you and your kitty!!!

“The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different.”—Hippocrates
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:23 PM

Cat is not eating and seems to stay laying down all day not moving.
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:37 PM
Senior Contributor

This sounds pretty serious, can you call the vet clinic and tell them what's going on? Is he urinating and defecating? When a cat becomes anorectic, it's definitely something to be concerned about. What foods have you tried to tempt him with? Plain meat baby food is a good one, or lightly boiled chicken, no-salt canned salmon, sardines, plain yogurt, Temptations or Greenies treats.... you might have to offer up a buffet but hopefully something will jump-start his appetite. Is he on antibiotics?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM

He's still on his pills, but he's done his 1cc thing. He's moving around sometimes today, but most of the day he's been laying in 1 spot.

Could be him trying to recover, but he's too different...

If there iss till something wrong i will request my money back from them.

edit- I don't think he's took a piss in 2 days now, but my dad told me he took a **** earlier for the first time in like 5 days.

Last edited by -Nomad-; May 28th, 2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old May 28th, 2009, 11:25 PM

Weird...so he has not ate in 3-4 days. My dad gives him some whiskas treats, and he pigs out on it, then i walk in and he stops eating.
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:37 AM
Kitty pimp

ahhh ok so let dad feed her good food diguised as treats she wary if youi cause youget to pill her she going to be like that for a while
let dad try and feed her and you just spend time other wise in the same room talking to her and generally hanging out .try sme plain yogurt
and some v wet cat food i add a liitle hot water to mine to make it smell good

best of luck whats the kits name did i moss it?
Old May 29th, 2009, 10:15 AM

-Nomad-....

Four days ago you listed the drugs he was taking and you said
Quote:
Every 12 hours i give him 1 cc suringe for 7 days with stuff in it for his swollen nodes to shrink and unswell.
Please go NOW and find the name of that drug, then post it here.

If it is Metacam, then it is very likely that the cat's kidneys have been damaged and you'll have to take some action very quickly. If it is Metacam AND if he's been getting 1cc every day, the situation is very grave.

The immediate treatment needed in that situation is for the cat to be admitted into hospital and placed on IV fluids for several days (4-5 or more). followed by weeks of a similar fluid therapy given by you at home.

IF that's the drug, please get him to the Vet right away and have the IV treatment started. (And, IF that's the drug, you should NOT have to pay for any of the needed treatment.)

Please also post the country where you're living....Metacam comes in different strengths and not all strengths are available in every country. Posting that will help us determine which Metacam (IF that's the drug) he's been receiving.
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
ahhh ok so let dad feed her good food diguised as treats she wary if youi cause youget to pill her she going to be like that for a while
let dad try and feed her and you just spend time other wise in the same room talking to her and generally hanging out .try sme plain yogurt
and some v wet cat food i add a liitle hot water to mine to make it smell good

best of luck whats the kits name did i moss it?
His name is Yukon, the SPCA decided to call him that because of his tail.

The drug name is Clavamox drops. I live in BC Canada.

He's a pretty skinny cat, he's lost some weight since he can go days without eating, but he's always been a skinny cat since we got him, and we kept him that way.

Last edited by -Nomad-; May 29th, 2009 at 01:27 PM.
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:30 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nomad- View Post
His name is Yukon, the SPCA decided to call him that because of his tail.

The drug name is Clavamox drops. I live in BC Canada.

He's a pretty skinny cat, he's lost some weight since he can go days without eating, but he's always been a skinny cat since we got him, and we kept him that way.
No, he can't go days without eating. That in itself can lead to a life threatening disease called fatty liver disease. Cats need to eat on a regular basis. Even if it's only crappy food he needs to eat.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old May 29th, 2009, 01:51 PM
-

I agree ....you MUST get your cat to eat.

What brands of food have you been offering him?
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
I agree ....you MUST get your cat to eat.

What brands of food have you been offering him?
His normal expensive stuff, but we are going to buy him some new food today. I wont touch it, because someone said he could not be eating because of my scent.
Old May 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Is the appetite stimulant he's on called cyproheptadine? Is he still taking it?

I'd venture to say that it's not working if he's still not eating enough and you should ask the vet for a different one called mirtazapine.

Old May 29th, 2009, 02:51 PM
-

Quote:
His normal expensive stuff, but we are going to buy him some new food today. I wont touch it, because someone said he could not be eating because of my scent.
What brand is "normal expensive stuff"?
Old May 29th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,I hope the poor kitty recovers
Old June 1st, 2009, 03:13 AM

Sending best wishes for speedy recovery

I'm still not clear on what he was diagnosed with? Or are they just treating symptoms at this point?
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:38 PM

Swollen Lymph Nodes, and a high fever.
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
What brand is "normal expensive stuff"?
Medi cal Preventive Formula.
Old June 2nd, 2009, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Swollen Lymph Nodes, and a high fever.
Swollen lymph nodes and fever are symptoms, not a diagnosis. Do the vets have any idea what's causing it? Infection, virus, cancer etc? Have the meds been helping?

Quote:
Medi cal Preventive Formula.
Is he eating yet? Have you tried other foods? This not a good diet for a carnivore, is there a reason he's being fed this "prescription"? Not sure if you're feeding wet or dry, but the dry is particularly horrid and I'd strongly suggest looking into something better when possible (a canned food, not kibble). A grain-free brand like Wellness or Nature's Variety Instinct or By Nature are much healthier choices and will go a long way towards improving Yukon's overall health.

Old June 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Swollen lymph nodes and fever are symptoms, not a diagnosis. Do the vets have any idea what's causing it? Infection, virus, cancer etc? Have the meds been helping?
They just said Lymph Nodes were swollen. Yes, the meds have worked.

Quote:
Is he eating yet? Have you tried other foods? This not a good diet for a carnivore, is there a reason he's being fed this "prescription"? Not sure if you're feeding wet or dry, but the dry is particularly horrid and I'd strongly suggest looking into something better when possible (a canned food, not kibble). A grain-free brand like Wellness or Nature's Variety Instinct or By Nature are much healthier choices and will go a long way towards improving Yukon's overall health.

We bought some canned food and he ate it up pretty well. He's starting to look better too. He refuses to eat the stuff i told you.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 01:55 AM
Obsessed animal lover

If he continues not to eat, I would suggest getting a feeding syringe and syringe feed him - maybe 20 mls every 4 hours. You may have to add some water and mix it well to get the food to go through the syringe. You can get one from your vet or at a pet store like Ryans' pet foods.

Have you asked your vet what is causing the swollen lymph nodes and fever? Has Yukon peed yet? If not, I would get him back to the vet immediately as toxins can build up in his system. Has he had another bowel movement and is it of normal consistency?

What other meds is he on? Please name them. Sometimes Clavamox can diminish the appetite but if he's eating canned food then fine, as long as he eats.
Old June 4th, 2009, 01:45 AM

He's doing fine right now, and when we asked the vet how he got swollen lymph nodes, she told us "your guess is as good as mine", and was saying there is no way of knowing how these things happen.
Old June 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM

So how long is recovery time supposed to be? 2 weeks and he still lays down most of the day not doing anything. But he still eats, and drinks, and sometimes walks around the house. I also try forcing him to play with his string, so he bites and paws it sometimes. Ugh, i want him to be his old self again.
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:17 PM

It's been over 3 weeks, my cat eats 3 nibbles every few days, i can't make him eat anything AT ALL! ****s sakes, i've tried everything, this is really pissing me off. He's also looking like he's getting skinnier, and skinnier.

He's pooping/peeing fine, he's drinking alot, he just wont eat...i am losing it, i swear to god i am.

Last edited by -Nomad-; June 14th, 2009 at 07:29 PM.
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Kitty pimp

hi stillsongs sick can you find another vet?
Old June 14th, 2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
hi stillsongs sick can you find another vet?
It's the best vets in town.