Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 14th, 2005, 03:06 PM

What is the best cat food?

When I adopted my kitty I got a "free" bag of food. She's a medium hair cat but the hair on her back is quite long so the lady told me to feed her Nutrience Elite (adult hairball control). She doesn't really like it though. I give her less than half cup and it can sit there for two days almost. She's drinks more than she eats.

Should I buy her another brand to see if she likes that one better? Do more commercial brands (Whiskas, Iams, etc.) offer less nutrients?
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Oh, another thing...not related to the food.

Everytime she plays with her toys she starts meowing like she's calling other cats; probably because she would have playtime with the other cats at the shelter plus she was a mom and one of her kitties was there for adoption too. I play with her but she's still looking desperately for other cats. I think she can smell my friend's cat that we had here recently. It breaks my heart but I can't get another cat for her (I'm lucky I was able to get her to begin with). What else should I do to comfort her?
Old April 14th, 2005, 03:26 PM

Foods like whiskas and Iams are not very good. Take a look at the first four ingredients and try to stay away from fillers like corn as well as animal by-products. If you did decide to switch your kitties food a couple of good brands are wellness and innova, among others. My cat eats Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul and she loves it! She was on Iams as a kitten and when I switched her over to CSFTCLS her coat changed a lot, it got much shinier and there was less shedding (she is also a medium hair cat).
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I use Performatrin (pet value brand) It' really good, I am also trying Kirkland (Cosco) brand, it is really cheap $10.00 for a 20LB bag! so far it seems pretty good !

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old April 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Kitty Consort

I use Go Natual and Felidae for my 3 cats.

As mentioned, the first four ingredients are the all important ones. Corn and by/products listed are indications of a less nutriitous food.
Corn is a very common ingredient in pet food - yet often not easily digested by many cats.

Here is a link to a comparison chart.. The foods listed are commonly considered to be "some" of the best available in a commercial food.
http://cats.about.com/cs/nutrition/t...drycatfood.htm
Old April 14th, 2005, 05:07 PM

We feed our 3 kitties Natural Balance dry food, and a tsp. of Wellness wet once a day. They love it!

Definitely try a higher quality food as we have a foster cat who is eating Whiskas, and her hair falls out in clumps. Her coat is also very dull and greesy! We would feed her our cats food, but we spend enough with 3 cats eating it, that we can't afford to feed the foster this, although we do give her the Wellness wet food too.